Anyone ever live on a houseboat full time?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Its a bit of a dream but I can buy a luxury houseboat here in Sydney for around $100,000 to $150,000.

I was just on another TMMAC's members website and got thinking why not move my family into one?

Anyone know any issues that this style of living could present? Birthing would cost me circa $4,000AUD per year and Insurance about the same.

Here's what Im looking at, in the process of buying a bigger home that will cost close to a million with all the taxes to give you an idea of the savings.

Used 2008 HOUSEBOAT 40 Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

Kids will be teens soon, Id have loved to have grown up on a houseboat, you reckon its embarrassing for kids these days?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Believe it or not, I tried to talk my wife into this years ago. She didn't like the idea because of logistics with getting the kids to and from school, and to all of their activities (which is a lot). I would absolutely love it though. Have a small ski boat or pontoon to cruise around in. Be like vacation all the time.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Believe it or not, I tried to talk my wife into this years ago. She didn't like the idea because of logistics with getting the kids to and from school, and to all of their activities (which is a lot). I would absolutely love it though. Have a small ski boat or pontoon to cruise around in. Be like vacation all the time.
Yeah I just "broke the news" to my wife, she seems okayish but not thrilled, we live in a harbor city so birthing close to schools wont be an issue, kids would actually be going to school in better socio economic areas than if we had to buy a house cause we kind afford a home close to the water as they go for around $3m.

How old are your kids? would she consider it once they are finished HS and off to University?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yeah I just "broke the news" to my wife, she seems okayish but not thrilled, we live in a harbor city so birthing close to schools wont be an issue, kids would actually be going to school in better socio economic areas than if we had to buy a house cause we kind afford a home close to the water as they go for around $3m.

How old are your kids? would she consider it once they are finished HS and off to University?
11 and 17, so we've got another 10-11 years until they're out of college and hopefully ready to establish themselves. At that point, I think my wife will be good with whatever. She is ALL about our girls. Now that I say that, they'll probably both live here into their 30's lol.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
How much do houseboats set you back your way? similar price to the one I posted for a similar vessel?

M

member 1013

I've never lived on a house boat per say, but I have had a boat that was a house.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Thats an awesome idea man!
I would love to do that. When my dad divorced, I was around 15 and he came close to buying a boat to sail around and live on.
I had very mixed feelings about it at the time being isolated away from friends and he decided against it.

Is the harbour it's docked at busy or quiet?
It's pretty small and it will be hard to get away from other family members to get some peace and privacy.
But is there any harm in giving it a go, if it doesnt work out, you can always sell it a year later or so and go back to a contemporary lifestyle.

And how rough a sea can it take?
Will you be able to sail up and down the coast on holidays?
Or is it more of a river boat?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Thats an awesome idea man!
I would love to do that. When my dad divorced, I was around 15 and he came close to buying a boat to sail around and live on.
I had very mixed feelings about it at the time being isolated away from friends and he decided against it.

Is the harbour it's docked at busy or quiet?
It's pretty small and it will be hard to get away from other family members to get some peace and privacy.
But is there any harm in giving it a go, if it doesnt work out, you can always sell it a year later or so and go back to a contemporary lifestyle.

And how rough a sea can it take?
Will you be able to sail up and down the coast on holidays?
Or is it more of a river boat?
Yeah man I wouldnt put my kids on a sailing boat yet they are too little and as you say it would be isolating.

Yeah the harbor/s we have available are very sheltered, not saying its always glass flat but well protected from in our case wild southerlies (Down under/back to front)

Dont think you can take it open water just the harbor, rivers and bays but who knows, on a good day maybe you could sans kids.

Another good thing about boats is that while their price wont appreciate like a home would they hold their price forever if well maintained unlike a car so you have a good point there too.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Man they have this thing called Ocean talk here where you get all your normal TV channels (which I dont watch) and even close to broadband internet speed up to 8 nautical miles off the coast, they must have wireless beacons or some shit.