Anyone had a gun polished to mirror finish?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Too swole to control

I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken
Oct 28, 2015
I'm thinking of having one of my guns polished. It looks pretty cool. Any downsides to it? Anyone do it and regret it? This Glock looks pretty awesome.

before

after

before

after

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
That looks really cool; seems like the power residue fro firing it would not be friendly to the finish though. In for others experiences...

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
It does look cool, but living in Alaska, I'd rather have a flat black thing going on. More practical since I don't have anything nice enough to polish.

P

Punch

I prefer not to for tactical reasons, but i only own 3 weapons. If i had more maybe i would. If you want it as a fuck around weapon, do what makes you happy, homie.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
If you only take it to the range or if if you're trying to impress narcos, I'd say go for it if that's what you want your gun to look like. If you will be using it for home protection or hunting I'd steer clear of anything with a shiny finish.

The most tactical thing in my house is me naked.

Feel bad for the people who care for this.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
How long is this supposed to last?
My dad got one of his custom painted, paid a butt load, and it chipped within two weeks. It's one of his daily carry guns, so it's not like he was going ham on it.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Sure does looks cool but I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it not tactically sound but it will currode the metal fast.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Sure does looks cool but I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it not tactically sound but it will currode the metal fast.
I have read that this is not an issue as the polishing will not remove the tenifer or melonite ferritic nitrocarburizing that is "infused" into the metal for corrosion protection. I don't know it that is true from personal experience, but from what I have read I believe it is correct.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
I have read that this is not an issue as the polishing will not remove the tenifer or melonite ferritic nitrocarburizing that is "infused" into the metal for corrosion protection. I don't know it that is true from personal experience, but from what I have read I believe it is correct.
I read that too. It would have to be polished past 0.5mm to penetrate that. I'm guessing there's no way to know how much your polishing off so odds are you would.

Too swole to control

Oct 28, 2015
I read that it makes the gun slippery and harder to rack the slide. Definitely dont want that. Maybe on a revolver. Heres a cool little video on charging your pistol w one hand that doesnt deserve its own thread

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I gave a mirror polished knife.

Get ready for scratches, lots of scratches.

Does look cool as fuck though imo.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Took me 4 hours to get a mirror shine on one boot in boot camp. My fingers were sore. I was working on the other boot when it was time for chow.

A random Company Commander saw my boots didn't match and stepped on the mirror one to even them up.

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Took me 4 hours to get a mirror shine on one boot in boot camp. My fingers were sore. I was working on the other boot when it was time for chow.

A random Company Commander saw my boots didn't match and stepped on the mirror one to even them up.
Gotta love military logic.

Too swole to control

Oct 28, 2015
I gave a mirror polished knife.

Get ready for scratches, lots of scratches.

Does look cool as fuck though imo.
I had the fenders on my bike dipped in chrome. It looks awesome but is harder to care for like you said. Kinda like women. I go for the eye candy pain in the ass ones often. Personality flaw maybe

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I had the fenders on my bike dipped in chrome. It looks awesome but is harder to care for like you said. Kinda like women. I go for the eye candy pain in the ass ones often. Personality flaw maybe
Mine isn't stainless/chrome, it is carbon steel. But still the same maintenance.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I would do that. Comb my hair using the reflection then say "it's time for some action" in a snake plissken voice.