General Anyone know about construction? Looking for advice on adding timber extension to brick building

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'm going to build a timber framed extension at the back of my house. My house is made of brick, with render over the brickwork. I'm not sure exactly how I attach my timber frame to the brickwork; If I just bolt it, it won't be water tight. I have a couple of ideas but there must be a standard practise for this. Google isn't giving me the answers.

Cheers :)

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I've got wood.

Although I have nothing to meaningfully contribute for your purposes.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm going to build a timber framed extension at the back of my house. My house is made of brick, with render over the brickwork. I'm not sure exactly how I attach my timber frame to the brickwork; If I just bolt it, it won't be water tight. I have a couple of ideas but there must be a standard practise for this. Google isn't giving me the answers.

If you do any electrical i can help there.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

We did exactly this at my parent old place 10 years ago, it was a 2 level extension with a self contained flat downstairs with its own entrance and a lounge room upstairs which formed part of the main home (think 3 split level home once complete)

My dad imported a carpenter from Fiji and paid him pretty much slave labor wages but gave him room and board, not sure how he did it but it was completely free standing but looked like part of the main home.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
We did exactly this at my parent old place 10 years ago, it was a 2 level extension with a self contained flat downstairs with its own entrance and a lounge room upstairs which formed part of the main home (think 3 split level home once complete)

My dad imported a carpenter from Fiji and paid him pretty much slave labor wages but gave him room and board, not sure how he did it but it was completely free standing but looked like part of the main home.
Thanks

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I have tried that. Didn't bite. Also checked out that website earlier but it also didn't have the info.
You’ll need to cut away the render where the new wall meets the existing – cut two vertical Stihl saw lines, then hack it off. Simple. Then use a wall starter kit such as Catnic Stronghold.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Caulk the holes and use peel and stick flex seal. I would think you'd want to remove stucco to bare brick. Flashing at roof line house wrap that shit and make sure wrap extends past corners at least 8 inches (remove stucco there as well)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Caulk the holes and use peel and stick flex seal. I would think you'd want to remove stucco to bare brick. Flashing at roof line house wrap that shit and make sure wrap extends past corners at least 8 inches (remove stucco there as well)

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

My brother in law is a builder. I can ask him when I see him this weekend if you still need answers

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Sorry I don't have too much time to go into detail. I'm at work on break at the moment. Is just an open area timber framed structure? Is there going to be walls or all post and lintel like a pergola?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Sorry I don't have too much time to go into detail. I'm at work on break at the moment. Is just an open area timber framed structure? Is there going to be walls or all post and lintel like a pergola?

No, it will be a living space extension, with windows and walls, electrics etc.

Leigh @Leigh

I will DM you when I get to work..I'll send you a couple of files to read through regarding Brick extensions...I'll try to get it to you in a couple of hours.