General Anyone know anything about re-sodding a lawn?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Had a "friend of a friend" tear up my weedy/muddy backyard and put down sod before the beginning of October and it's still not rooted underneath. We've had a good mix of rain and sun (I live in Portland) since, and I read it should root in 2-4 weeks.

I had my doubts about this guy from the get-go, but he seemed to know what he was doing and the lawn looks great, it's growing and I've even had to mow it once, it's just not taking root.

Any advice?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Maybe they were given too much water? If water is too abundant, the roots will have no reason grow out and seek water. You have to make those cock suckers work a bit.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
If the native soil is compacted and was not tilled a little first, this can be an issue. Try rolling the sod with a lawn roller to make sure it is in contact with the soil below, then change your watering to deeper but less frequent waterings so the roots go down to chase the water

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I'm not watering it now, but it rains a LOT here. Might snow in Jan once or twice. Just leave the lawn alone from now on?

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Peter, I figured you'd be an expert already from "re-sodding" so many of your neighbor's lawns.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I'm not watering it now, but it rains a LOT here. Might snow in Jan once or twice. Just leave the lawn alone from now on?
At this point I would leave it. Your primary problem, you laid it too late. Fall can be appropriate to lay seed for next spring but it's far too late for sod. Your sod is probably entered/entering into dormancy and not going to root until spring if it survives.

If it's still struggling in the spring you may want to try SCMMA's suggestion and try to roll and aerate and seed any dead patches.

Your Regional optimal sod laying season is actually late spring and late summer.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Maybe they were given too much water? If water is too abundant, the roots will have no reason grow out and seek water. You have to make those cock suckers work a bit.
Sometimes you can do everything right and sod will still struggle. New transplants are always tricky and they enter shock and go to sleep sooner than the greens that are already in ground. Sod in particular is very time sensitive. The longer it stays out of the ground for transport and sale the more shocked and difficult it will be to coax into growing after it has been laid. Also it's not really going to grow as it is now fall. And we're not really sure how well the ground was prepped before it was laid. Many reasons could be contributary to the problem.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's grass It'll grow. Don't over water it don't underwater it. Fertilize it but not too much or you'll burn it or be cutting your lawn every couple days.

Thatch rake it every spring to pull out all the decayed grass.