Anyone live in SEATTLE or PORTLAND?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Wifey and I are considering moving from the Bay Area to one of those 2 cities. We have family in both and enjoy them both- we just visited Seattle to check out some neighborhoods this weekend. I'm a Senior Designer/Art Director and she works in corporate retail here. The move would have to follow one of us finding a job there and the other working remotely until they found something there as well.

I guess, just curious if anyone has made that move, what they thought of the experience and if they have any advice. We'll never be able to buy a house in the Bay Area and we've both been here over a decade so we're really ready for a change.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Im currently in Vancouver, WA which is basically a suburb of Portland. I might be able to answer any questions u have.

The cost of living here is definitely cheaper than the bay area

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Also if your plan is to move and purchase a house, the sooner the better. Housing prices have been steadily increasing for the last 2 years or so

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I will say, you will be right at home as far as traffic is concerned.
And I will personally roll out the blue and green carpet for you :)

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
haha! awesome. i know seattle is right behind the BA as far as housing, so we'd be moving in the next 18 months. i also think job-wise i'd have more options there then portland. what do you guys do?

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm an electrician, pyrotechnician, ......single dad......depressed......
*gun in mouth*

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
i like idea of portland better-cheaper housing, the coty is expanding slowly enough that the mass transit and infrastructure can keep up

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I love the city of Seattle. History, scenery, and a genuine loyalty exists among the cities sports fans, camaraderie.
I like the music scene, groundedness, accessibility of our own "stars".
The minimum wage has consistently been higher than anyone in the United States.
Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Genie, blah blah blah have always kept a very high growth rate, good civil/social programs.
There simply is no shortage of work, ever.
If you have good work ethic and a brain, you simply cannot go hungry
Weed is legal, as it should be.
It's like a sister city to a big Japanese city, so that culture has migrated over, similar weather/region.
So there are tons of hot asians. Girls too;)
Best air on earth.
Best soil on earth.
Best water on earth.
Activities are endless. If you cannot fill your time you're a moron.
Fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, boating, hunting, personal liberty is good all the way around. Best summers in the world, incredible foliage, food naturally grows everywhere. Very fertile. Washington chronic is special. Salmon is the healthiest food on earth, along with apples/onions.....everything that is good for you is abundant.
Technologically proficient.
Open carry state, great gun laws.
Lots of resources.
Very mild weather in the west, more extreme in the east.
Surrounded by beauty, Olympics to the west w/the rainforest, Cascades to the east. Wildlife is great.
There are Eagles, Owls, bats, deer, coyote, hawks, deer, woodpeckers, fish, bears, otters, seals, Orcas, etc. everywhere around you. If you love the outdoors, this is it.
Much of this is the same in and around the northwest and Canada, and 20 minutes as the crow flies east or west of downtown.

Downs for me are the liberal agenda so prevalent.
It is the spirit of the area, and overeaching social programs have enabled entitlement and wefare, along with the elements that attracts. Lazy, fat people. Generally white girls here suck.
And I don't mean lack of swallowing, although that's an issue too.
The cost of living is high because of the overreaching social programs and corrupt political management, and taxes and over-regulation are a problem.
Police are a problem.
Although it's open carry, no one does, and non-violent crimes will remain unsolved.
Crime pays, so does insurance.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
awesome! thank you very much!
interesting about the police- and the liberal social programs, which i'm sure will eventually break the state budget but i love the west coast so i'm just going to have to deal with that i guess

im looking for design work now...

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
WONDER TWINS!

how far along are you? whats your line if work?
High five!

No one pays me for it, but I'm a writer. I almost moved up there after finishing school and really regret not going for it back then. After a pretty awful year I'm looking forward to the change of scenery. I'm in the saving money phase, currently.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
portland seems to be the writer's paradise. good luck! i'll definitely be hitting you up for advice.

FYI my brother in law has one of the best pizzarias in portland. Life of Pie.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
portland seems to be the writer's paradise. good luck! i'll definitely be hitting you up for advice.

FYI my brother in law has one of the best pizzarias in portland. Life of Pie.

Thanks! I have a couple close friends there, so that should make the transition easier. I'll definitely check out that pizza place, too. I dig the name, so I'm sure that would have got me in the door eventually.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATED!

FORM OF, WIRE LUBE!
Lmao....

FORM OF RIGID CONDUIT! TOGETHER WE CANT BE STOPPED!

Tooke from my first post til now to realize my "joke" is probably thecreasonimg behimdcyour SN?

P

Punch

Wifey and I are considering moving from the Bay Area to one of those 2 cities. We have family in both and enjoy them both- we just visited Seattle to check out some neighborhoods this weekend. I'm a Senior Designer/Art Director and she works in corporate retail here. The move would have to follow one of us finding a job there and the other working remotely until they found something there as well.

I guess, just curious if anyone has made that move, what they thought of the experience and if they have any advice. We'll never be able to buy a house in the Bay Area and we've both been here over a decade so we're really ready for a change.
No, and good luck bro! :)

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lmao....

FORM OF RIGID CONDUIT! TOGETHER WE CANT BE STOPPED!

Tooke from my first post til now to realize my "joke" is probably thecreasonimg behimdcyour SN?

Ouch, lol.

That took too long haha

Feb 28, 2015
I lived in the Seattle area for 16 years. Lots of PDX trips too. Currently in Spokane because I decided my quality of life was better here not having to pay $3k/mo for a small 2 bed apartment. I like to travel and much rather spend my $ on that.

Seattle and Portland are very similar in ways and quite different in many ways too but all in all the PNW cannot be beat. I just had a friend move from SF to Seattle a week ago and actually lots of friends move between the two cities.

I'll concur with *most* of what sparkuri @sparkuri detailed. Traffic is a BITCH. It's 10 times worse now than when I left 3 years ago, lawd. If you have to do any kind of commute from burbs into Seattle or Bellevue, fugghedaboutit, expect to spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic. F that noise. But, plenty of ops to live close to work and within the city, easy to get around without a car even though actually quite lacking in the public transport options for a city of its size. Oh, and earthquakes are a thing in Seattle too, just in case that was a big reason for you bouncing out of the bay :)

Happy to answer any more ?s too