Anyone not care for "Training Day" movie?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You know, Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, monica....

It seems to be a cult classic with a lot of people, but it didn't do anything for me, and I am of a "movie family".

First, Denzel Washington's role is over-the-top unbelievable.
NOBODY gets away with all that shit in a hard town and lives any length of time.
The leather in Summer, the hoody girlfriend, the mingling amongst cholo's....totally ridiculous.

Ethan Hawke, with that Matt Damon/ Manning perma-smirk has me automatically thinking he's just one step below Corky or Channing Tatum on the mentally challenged scale.
Plus, he seems like he couldn't fight to save his life, more likely is this kid in the corner peeing his pants being a giant pussy sucking his thumb or something.
So because these two characters are too detached from reality, I can't even begin to take it seriously.
And the dialogue stinks.

Ethan Hawke will always be that little dorky kid with Corey whatever in the cool round trash can spaceship who went to visit those big aliens in outerspace.......Explorers!
Yes, much better movie...

Am I alone here?
How can I alienate myself further?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
You know, Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke, monica....

It seems to be a cult classic with a lot of people, but it didn't do anything for me, and I am of a "movie family".

First, Denzel Washington's role is over-the-top unbelievable.
NOBODY gets away with all that shit in a hard town and lives any length of time.
The leather in Summer, the hoody girlfriend, the mingling amongst cholo's....totally ridiculous.

Ethan Hawke, with that Matt Damon/ Manning perma-smirk has me automatically thinking he's just one step below Corky or Channing Tatum on the mentally challenged scale.
Plus, he seems like he couldn't fight to save his life, more likely is this kid in the corner peeing his pants being a giant pussy sucking his thumb or something.
So because these two characters are too detached from reality, I can't even begin to take it seriously.
And the dialogue stinks.

Ethan Hawke will always be that little dorky kid with Corey whatever in the cool round trash can spaceship who went to visit those big aliens in outerspace.......Explorers!
Yes, much better movie...

Am I alone here?
How can I alienate myself further?
google the Rampart scandal brah.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I know all about that man.
I AM that!!! ;-)

Dark Blue with Kurt Russell.

I don't mean the situation, which has happened since the beginning of time, I mean the character potrayals, over-the-top overacting etc.
The story itself was good enough.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
The characters were definitely ridiculous but that doesn't necessarily make a movie bad. But I do see your point.

Anastasios

Feb 22, 2016
Yeah I thought some of the dialogues werent that good either. Too much seemed way off reality.

But it's a good movie for its theme and the overall storyline. In my case I have a deep hate for corruption, and if it would come to the point where I can't live in freedom because of rampant crime, and the police is corrupt, I am going from libertarian to full anarchist. Might as well live on an island with no people.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Always when I hear or see a discussion about older movies, I see how little I know or care about that form of media.
If you ask me what my favourite movie is.. I can't even tell you! Haha. Would have to think quite hard.

Training day.. I saw it, but I had to think a bit. The only thing I remember is that Denzel's gf was Eva Mendes, and that he was some corrupt cop or something. But I surely would not have known that if I didn't read the comments here first, I actually suspected the thread was about some new movie.

Not really useful to the discussion, so carry on. :)

M

member 3289

Movie was great. Denzel was one of the best bad guys I've ever seen. The scene with Ethan Hawke at Smiley's house was in fucking credible.

Plus that movie gave us a million quotes we can use to talk shit on the internet.

"This is chess, it ain't checkers!"

"Hey pig, you ever had your shit pushed in?"

"It's not what you know. It's what you can prove."

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
IMO as far as over the top action thrillers go it doesn't get much better than "Training Day";

Denzel Washington character is over the top for sure but it's a movie. did you want to see a movie about an unremarkable corrupt cop who plays in dirt a little bit and gets arrested quickly?

and sparkuri @sparkuri your criticism of Ethan Hawke's characters seems to stem 100% from your own pre conceived ideas about the actor. not that there's anything wrong with it but there's not much ground for discussion either. you don't like it because you don't like it.

IMO it's one of the best action thrillers Hollywood has ever made - which equals to a 6.5-7/10 give or take - and if it was just a little bit shorter it would be a legit great movie.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I like TRAINING DAY, but later found out Denzel improvised almost all his lines, and David Ayer, the writer, basically keeps writing the same story over and over.

...and over...

...and over...

...until somebody handed him SUICIDE SQUAD just to stop all the corrupt cop movies.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I wanna see what you think of Christian Bales character in "Harsh Times" lol

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I assume he's a cop who tries to corrupt a young partner... or similar? I'm sure he's great in the role, but...
he is a wanna be cop that acts like a thug..it was odd seeing Bale talk Ebonics..its entertaining though

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
It was an ok movie i thought.

but what annoyed me more was that Denzel actually won an oscar for that performance when Sean Penn did an amazing job in I Am Sam.

How hard was it to play a cliche gangster compared to Sean who amazingly played a character with mental health problems?

After Denzel beat out Sean that year the oscars were dead to me. DEAD! :dizzy:

*cue Tropic Thunder quote*

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It was an ok movie i thought.

but what annoyed me more was that Denzel actually won an oscar for that performance when Sean Penn did an amazing job in I Am Sam.

How hard was it to play a cliche gangster compared to Sean who amazingly played a character with mental health problems?

After Denzel beat out Sean that year the oscars were dead to me. DEAD! :dizzy:

*cue Tropic Thunder quote*
This. It's one of the least Oscar worthy performances of the guy's career, and that's what he gets the nod for. Not for American Gangster, not for Malcolm X. For fucking Training Day.