Anyone not care for "Training Day" movie?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
Not a bad film but i never got the hype over it. Laughable that out of all of Denzel's work they give him an Oscar for one of his least meaningful roles.

I did love that scene at the gangsters house but the plot contrivance that saves him..he had just saved his neice from being raped? Come on.

Last edited:

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
It was an ok movie i thought.

but what annoyed me more was that Denzel actually won an oscar for that performance when Sean Penn did an amazing job in I Am Sam.

How hard was it to play a cliche gangster compared to Sean who amazingly played a character with mental health problems?

After Denzel beat out Sean that year the oscars were dead to me. DEAD! :dizzy:

*cue Tropic Thunder quote*
Because you never go full retard.

Sean Penn winning when Mickey Rourke should have for the Wrestler, that was a travesty.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
It was an ok movie i thought.

but what annoyed me more was that Denzel actually won an oscar for that performance when Sean Penn did an amazing job in I Am Sam.

How hard was it to play a cliche gangster compared to Sean who amazingly played a character with mental health problems?

After Denzel beat out Sean that year the oscars were dead to me. DEAD! :dizzy:

*cue Tropic Thunder quote*

pattitude

Posting Machine
Pro Fighter
Oct 25, 2015
This. It's one of the least Oscar worthy performances of the guy's career, and that's what he gets the nod for. Not for American Gangster, not for Malcolm X. For fucking Training Day.
You and whale both hit the correct!

Denzel Washington should have won for Malcom X. He plays a real-life icon and never misses a beat! Yet he loses to Al Pacino's over-the-top former Army officer.

Years later, Washington wins by playing an over-the-top police officer. Deju vu all over again.

My theory is that the academy knew that both actors should have won for far better roles in the past and that "they were due" this time around.

Pacino should have won for Serpico or Dog Day Afternoon and Washington should have won for Malcom X.

Last edited:

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I liked serpico.

I found dog day afternoon to be silly,even if it was based on a true story .

M

member 3289

You and whale both hit the correct!

Denzel Washington should have won for Malcom X. He plays a real-life icon and never misses a beat! Yet he loses to Al Pacino's over-the-top former Army officer.

Years later, Washington wins by playing an over-the-top police officer. Deju vu all over again.

My theory is that the academy knew that both actors should have won for far better roles in the past and that "they were due" this time around.

Pacino should have won for Serpico or Dog Day Afternoon and Washington should have won for Malcom X.
Russell Crowe won an actor for the movie Gladiator when Joaquin Phoenix was far and away the best actor in that movie.

Can't remember who Phoenix lost supporting actor to.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Really good movie imo. Had an acquaintance back in Sweden who\d arrest dealers and take their stash then cut them loose.
the best part is when Bale had those Mexicans tied up and tells the vato if he didn't have little bitch feet, He would be stomping around in his Jordan's..

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Training day is pretty shit, just watched it sober for the first time, shit movie TBH very shallow plot line, characters also had no depth

Watching Valhalla Rising now. Fuck I love netflix

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Training day is pretty shit, just watched it sober for the first time, shit movie TBH very shallow plot line, characters also had no depth

Watching Valhalla Rising now. Fuck I love netflix
Best Danish movie ever (and Danish movies are known to be good) is Pusher with Mads. The first one. Most realistic movie portraying a dealers life that you will ever see. Check it. It's the fucking Shantaram of movies. I like the sequels as well, but most think it deviates from the direction of the first, kind of like the Godfathger triloguy..

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So although I'd seen Training Day before last night for the first time I sat down and watched Training Day. Bought it on DVD last weekend and watched it uninterrupted last night. Denzel is probably my favorite actor of all time, but that movie really wasn't anything to write home about. Instead of Training Day, it should have been called "Random Coincidence"

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Sean Penn would later steal an Oscar from Mickey Rourke via Milk, in which Sean Penn played Sean Penn with a lisp.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Sean Penn would later steal an Oscar from Mickey Rourke via Milk, in which Sean Penn played Sean Penn with a lisp.
It's funny how movies based on true stories tend to do well at the Oscars. You'd think the pinnacle of an art form would also imply a creative story.