General Anyone use Yousician to learn an instrument?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I’ve learned the basic guitar chords and can strum a few songs, but find I have a short attention span. Someone suggested to try Yousician. I have it downloaded to my iPad, but haven’t gotten to any lessons yet. Going to take the placement test and see where it puts me at. I’d like to get proficient at blues and country blues when all is said and done.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I once tried to learn the recorder because I thought it was some sort of dj stuff (I had a twin deck boom box in my head and some decks) turns out it was some gay flute like wood elfs use.

Fuck that

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I once tried to learn the recorder because I thought it was some sort of dj stuff (I had a twin deck boom box in my head and some decks) turns out it was some gay flute like wood elfs use.

Fuck that

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Never heard of it..if it works that's all that matters right
I'll have to check it out

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

Fuck that
So you're saying your good at playing the skin flute?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Never heard of it..if it works that's all that matters right
I'll have to check it out
From what I’ve read/watched, it makes the boring things fun when starting out. I’m sure I won’t start out at level 1 since I know most chords and can switch between them pretty consistently. I just want to put it all together better and start learning some theory. I just have a short attention span, so playing some “games” as I learn may help.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
No but if they have lessons with the harmonica I might give it a go.
Not sure, but give it a few years and we can go on the road as the first TMMAC delta blues band. We first have to sell our souls though.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
b00ts @the_b00ts

I haven't used Yousician before, but it does look like cool.

If you care, I can give you a little advice though (been playing guitar for about 20 years.....and still learning). Aside from learning the basics (chords and scales, strumming, picking, etc.) and building up some stamina in your fingers, one of the most important things (in my opinion) is the amount of time you spend behind the guitar. Make your practice time count. It's really easy to grab a guitar and just mess around for 10-15 minutes, but those aren't the sessions that get you advancing/progressing. Try and have some kind of structure, and take yourself out of your comfort zone. For example, I will sit down and do a warm-up for 20-30 minutes (picking exercises, scales, chord progressions, or whatever else I may feel like). After that I will play through some songs. And get in the habit of finishing what you start, whether it be exercises or songs. Learn a song, and when you play it, go all the way through even if you make mistakes. It makes it hard to play with other musicians if you condition yourself to stop after every bad note. Just keep on pushing through. I'm rambling now....

I’d like to get proficient at blues and country blues when all is said and done.
Check this out:
Blues Guitar Institute - Acoustic Blues. Simplified.

This guy is a good instructor, and all of his lessons are in video format on the website and on his youtube channel. There are tons of good lessons on here, and if you could dedicate a lesson or two each week you'll be playing the blues in no time. You can pay for a membership if you want and that gets you all of the TABS in pdf format, but his videos are pretty good so it isn't necessary. A while back I had a membership here so I have all of the pdf TABS saved. If you are interested in this site, send me a PM and I can get you the TABS (i.e. don't pay for a membership).

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
b00ts @the_b00ts

I haven't used Yousician before, but it does look like cool.

If you care, I can give you a little advice though (been playing guitar for about 20 years.....and still learning). Aside from learning the basics (chords and scales, strumming, picking, etc.) and building up some stamina in your fingers, one of the most important things (in my opinion) is the amount of time you spend behind the guitar. Make your practice time count. It's really easy to grab a guitar and just mess around for 10-15 minutes, but those aren't the sessions that get you advancing/progressing. Try and have some kind of structure, and take yourself out of your comfort zone. For example, I will sit down and do a warm-up for 20-30 minutes (picking exercises, scales, chord progressions, or whatever else I may feel like). After that I will play through some songs. And get in the habit of finishing what you start, whether it be exercises or songs. Learn a song, and when you play it, go all the way through even if you make mistakes. It makes it hard to play with other musicians if you condition yourself to stop after every bad note. Just keep on pushing through. I'm rambling now....

Check this out:
Blues Guitar Institute - Acoustic Blues. Simplified.

This guy is a good instructor, and all of his lessons are in video format on the website and on his youtube channel. There are tons of good lessons on here, and if you could dedicate a lesson or two each week you'll be playing the blues in no time. You can pay for a membership if you want and that gets you all of the TABS in pdf format, but his videos are pretty good so it isn't necessary. A while back I had a membership here so I have all of the pdf TABS saved. If you are interested in this site, send me a PM and I can get you the TABS (i.e. don't pay for a membership).
I think I was getting burnt out using Justin Guitar because it’s constantly learning, learning, learning and when it would come time to do a little practicing, either my fingers would hurt or I’d be over it. I love music and guitar and being 31, I don’t have much time left to learn. I saw Yousician mentioned on Reddit and started watching YouTube videos and it seemed like a fun way to learn. I’ll check out the link you posted as well and give you a PM WHEN I have questions lol

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I think I was getting burnt out using Justin Guitar because it’s constantly learning, learning, learning and when it would come time to do a little practicing, either my fingers would hurt or I’d be over it. I love music and guitar and being 31, I don’t have much time left to learn. I saw Yousician mentioned on Reddit and started watching YouTube videos and it seemed like a fun way to learn. I’ll check out the link you posted as well and give you a PM WHEN I have questions lol
Yeah man, it's easy to get burned out if you aren't getting to do anything fun, totally understand. I'm goal oriented kind of guy, so using some technical practice as a "warm-up" has been a good method, because then I know I'll get to run through some songs after. The warm ups help me too, because I need to loosen up when I first pick up the guitar. I'm not sure where your proficiency is at, but don't be afraid to start small. Pick a few licks or songs you want to learn and practice the ever-loving shit out of them. Just try not to get complacent, and always try to be learning something new every so often (i.e. don't run through the same 2 songs or whatever every time you practice without adding anything new is what I mean). It's good to practice the songs you know, but even better to add new material to your skill set. And like I said above, it is all about how much quality time you spend behind the guitar. And as far as your fingers hurting, that does get better the more calloused they get. But if that is an issue for you, you could try some lighter strings.

Good luck man, and keep after it. Take a look at the Blues Guitar Institute website or watch a couple of his videos on youtube to see if it something you like. There is something on there called "Acoustic Blues Jumpstart Course" that is pretty intro level stuff, and then a ton of other courses. Then once a week he releases a "Tuesday Blues" lesson (this is mostly what I messed around with). I have access to all of the TABS, so let me know if you see something that looks cool on there. I think he does a good job, and you could probably figure it out without the TABS, but I like having the sheet music in a binder.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Yeah man, it's easy to get burned out if you aren't getting to do anything fun, totally understand. I'm goal oriented kind of guy, so using some technical practice as a "warm-up" has been a good method, because then I know I'll get to run through some songs after. The warm ups help me too, because I need to loosen up when I first pick up the guitar. I'm not sure where your proficiency is at, but don't be afraid to start small. Pick a few licks or songs you want to learn and practice the ever-loving shit out of them. Just try not to get complacent, and always try to be learning something new every so often (i.e. don't run through the same 2 songs or whatever every time you practice without adding anything new is what I mean). It's good to practice the songs you know, but even better to add new material to your skill set. And like I said above, it is all about how much quality time you spend behind the guitar. And as far as your fingers hurting, that does get better the more calloused they get. But if that is an issue for you, you could try some lighter strings.

Good luck man, and keep after it. Take a look at the Blues Guitar Institute website or watch a couple of his videos on youtube to see if it something you like. There is something on there called "Acoustic Blues Jumpstart Course" that is pretty intro level stuff, and then a ton of other courses. Then once a week he releases a "Tuesday Blues" lesson (this is mostly what I messed around with). I have access to all of the TABS, so let me know if you see something that looks cool on there. I think he does a good job, and you could probably figure it out without the TABS, but I like having the sheet music in a binder.
I’ve noticed it’s a lot like learning a new language. You can learn individual words all day, but until you incorporate and practice them in conversation, you won’t learn much. So like words... chords, scales, etc. need to be practiced in song. Thanks again for the advice and I’ll PM you if questions pop up and probably for some tabs

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not sure where your proficiency is at, but don't be afraid to start small.
I think I posted here a few months back about my “proficiency”. I’ve been picking up the open chords off and on for a year, but only recently wanted to buckle down and learn. I have most open chords mastered and have been working on switching. That’s where I burn myself out lol. Just sitting there strumming and picking chords is absolutely the most boring shit I’ve ever done, but I understand it’s fundamental in learning to be proficient with fingering chords. I actually started to read more in theory when I got burnt out and actually picked a lot of that up pretty easily. I know my way around the fret board, but struggle mentally with putting in the work necessary to get my fingers there.

That’s why I made the thread hoping someone else had used the program. I think a fun alternative to the basics for a little while may help.

Anyone also learning should definitely check out Justin Guitar. It’s all free and has taught me a lot, but I guess I’m ADHD when it comes to practicing

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have most open chords mastered and have been working on switching.
That's a good thing to practice. Changing chords swiftly and cleanly will serve you well. There are tons of chord variations, it's good to throw some of those in there as well.

Just sitting there strumming and picking chords is absolutely the most boring shit I’ve ever done
Totally get ya here man. That's why I do stuff like that as my warm-up, and then move on to some songs. That gets me through the BS knowing I will be moving on to something fun after the boring stuff. When I was starting guitar I picked out a bunch of easy songs (with different chord combos) to practice. For me that was John Prine songs. Easy to play along with and will got me moving through chords. If you haven't already, check out Ultimate Guitar for free tabs, they have tons of stuff if you just want to learn to strum some of your favorite songs.

Are you playing with a pick or fingers? It's great to be able to both, IMO. Right hand technique is equally important as left hand technique. And that applies to using a pick or your fingers.

I've never been to Justin Guitar, but I will check it out.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Are you playing with a pick or fingers?
I force myself to grab a pick sometimes, but I naturally want to play with just fingers. I learned brass instruments as a youth because I had family in a jazz band... First trombone and then trumpet. I guess since learning trumpet, I want my fingers to make the music and like the softer sound compared to the attack of a pick.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I force myself to grab a pick sometimes, but I naturally want to play with just fingers. I learned brass instruments as a youth because I had family in a jazz band... First trombone and then trumpet. I guess since learning trumpet, I want my fingers to make the music and like the softer sound compared to the attack of a pick.
I'm started the same way, mostly using fingers (and I also played trumpet). I've always preferred fingerpicking. But over the years I've gotten pretty good with a pick too (playing bluegrass type stuff). Now I'm pretty decent at both, which gives me a little more versatility. I like to be able to play a song either way, and I will usually practice songs both ways.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I'm started the same way, mostly using fingers (and I also played trumpet). I've always preferred fingerpicking. But over the years I've gotten pretty good with a pick too (playing bluegrass type stuff). Now I'm pretty decent at both, which gives me a little more versatility. I like to be able to play a song either way, and I will usually practice songs both ways.
It’s like you said, I just have to find that motivation to get behind a guitar and practice the small stuff. Like it’s cool knowing an ascending intervalic 4ths sequence, but means absolute shit if your fingers can’t play it consistently lol

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
At the advice of a friend that’s in a band, I went to the local music academy today to check it out. Signed up for a private lesson next week. The guy said using something like Yousician is ok as long as I come in every now and then for a lesson so we can work on what I may be doing wrong and not practicing incorrectly. He also said I will eventually out grow that fast and will need one on one when it gets to the really difficult things. He let me check out the music room and I played around on the drums for a bit. I learned some on the drums when I was in the Army bc my roommate had a set. I’m actually kind of good, but I’d rather guitar.

If this all goes well and I really step up my learning, I may put my son in some lessons. He’s 5, but wants a guitar to play with me lol