Anyone Watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix/BBC?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

If not, and you like swords and axes and such, it is probably worth checking out. Packing up shit for my move and I put it on, now I am enthralled.

See More on IMDb Pro »
The Last Kingdom (2015– )
TV Series | 60 min | Action, History, Romance
Your rating:
-/10
Ratings: 8.4/10 from 11,976 users
Reviews: 59 user | 5 critic
  • The year is 872, and many of the separate kingdoms of what we now know as England have fallen to the invading Danes, leaving the great kingdom of Wessex standing alone and defiant under the command of King Alfred. Against this turbulent backdrop lives our hero, Uhtred. Born the son of a Saxon nobleman, he is captured by the Danes and raised as one of their own. Forced to choose between the country of his birth and the people of his upbringing, his loyalties are ever tested. What is he? Saxon or Dane? On a quest to reclaim his birthright, Uhtred must tread a dangerous path between both sides if he is to play his part in the birth of a new nation and, ultimately, recapture his ancestral lands.

• The setting is a historical one of England roughly around 800-900 A.D. The conflict involves the vikings who are eager to take more ground and the native English peoples or more correctly the Saxons who desire to hold the ground they have and repel the Vikings from England. The main protagonist is a fictional character although his birth place and enemies who contest him; Ubba (Ubbe Lothbrok) and Guthrum are real figures.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
It's very good actually. Better than Vikings imo.

Based on books by the same guy that wrote Sharpe that Sean Bean was in.

M

member 1013

It's very good actually. Better than Vikings imo.

Based on books by the same guy that wrote Sharpe that Sean Bean was in.
Yea I like it way better than Vikings. Couldn't really get into that one. I wanted to but I just couldn't.

M

member 3289

Damn sounds interesting. Gonna check it out.

But the description says "the native English people or more correctly the Saxons".

Nothing native about the Saxons.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Damn sounds interesting. Gonna check it out.

But the description says "the native English people or more correctly the Saxons".

Nothing native about the Saxons.
By the time this is set they had been in, what would become, England for 400+ years. At some point they become natives.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Putting it on my list.
I too did not really get into Vikings, even tho a buddy tried very hard. I guess I just didn't like any of the characters or something. And it felt so small..

M

member 1013

Putting it on my list.
I too did not really get into Vikings, even tho a buddy tried very hard. I guess I just didn't like any of the characters or something. And it felt so small..
I never bought into most of the cast in that show either.

The casting in The Last Kingdom is excellent. Ragnar is in it, or at least a dude with his name.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just finishing up the 2nd episode. Not bad at all, but the protagonist is a bit too effeminate for my tastes. Would make a good cell mate I reckon.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
Yeah, it's pretty good. In fact, it made me go out and read the book series. Currently on book 4 - probably won't watch the show now since I've read ahead.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
I never bought into most of the cast in that show either.

The casting in The Last Kingdom is excellent. Ragnar is in it, or at least a dude with his name.
Not the same historical figure.
The Last Kingdom takes place after Ragnar Loðbrok from Vikings. By about ~60 years. It does have Ragnar Loðbrok's sons Ivar the Boneless and Ubba Ragnarsson (maybe not in the first season? I've read ahead so not sure) and those are the men Earl Ragnar (Uhtred's captive/adopted father) serves. Earl Ragnar and his son's Ragnar and Rorik Ragnarsson are 100% fictional and do not have any historical analogs.