General Are curler's shoes made of something, um, special?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Serious question. They glide across the ice, yet they never fall down, and the sweepers (if that's proper term, idk) have no problem moving. Is it just a balance thing?

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Serious question. They glide across the ice, yet they never fall down, and the sweepers (if that's proper term, idk) have no problem moving. Is it just a balance thing?
Balance is a big part of it, the first time you go on with the shoes, you'll most likely fall on your ass
But to answer your question, yes they are special shoes (some cheaper local places will just give you these little slipper things to put over your shoes if you don't have a proper pair

Shoes
Curling shoes, showing a slider sole

Curling shoes are similar to ordinary athletic shoes except that they have dissimilar soles; the slider shoe (usually known as a "slider") is designed for the sliding foot and the "gripper shoe" (usually known as a gripper) for the hack foot.

The slider is designed to slide and typically has a Teflon sole. It is worn by the thrower during delivery from the hack and by sweepers or the skip to glide down the ice when sweeping or otherwise traveling down the sheet quickly. Stainless steel was once common for slider soles, and "red brick" sliders with lateral blocks of PVC on the sole are also available. Most shoes have a full-sole sliding surface, but some shoes have a sliding surface covering only the outline of the shoe and other enhancements with the full-sole slider. Some shoes have small disc sliders covering the front and heel portions or only the front portion of the foot, which allow more flexibility in the sliding foot for curlers playing with tuck deliveries.[43] When a player is not throwing, the player's slider shoe can be temporarily rendered non-slippery by using a slip-on gripper. Ordinary athletic shoes may be converted to sliders by using a step-on or slip-on Teflon slider or by applying electrical or gaffer tape directly to the sole or over a piece of cardboard. This arrangement often suits casual or beginning players.

The gripper is worn by the thrower on the hack foot during delivery and is designed to grip the ice. It may have a normal athletic shoe sole or a special layer of rubbery material applied to the sole of a thickness to match the sliding shoe. The toe of the hack foot shoe may also have a rubberised coating on the top surface or a flap that hangs over the toe to reduce wear on the top of the shoe as it drags on the ice behind the thrower.

Curling - Wikipedia

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Balance is a big part of it, the first time you go on with the shoes, you'll most likely fall on your ass
But to answer your question, yes they are special shoes (some cheaper local places will just give you these little slipper things to put over your shoes if you don't have a proper pair

Shoes
Curling shoes, showing a slider sole

Curling shoes are similar to ordinary athletic shoes except that they have dissimilar soles; the slider shoe (usually known as a "slider") is designed for the sliding foot and the "gripper shoe" (usually known as a gripper) for the hack foot.

The slider is designed to slide and typically has a Teflon sole. It is worn by the thrower during delivery from the hack and by sweepers or the skip to glide down the ice when sweeping or otherwise traveling down the sheet quickly. Stainless steel was once common for slider soles, and "red brick" sliders with lateral blocks of PVC on the sole are also available. Most shoes have a full-sole sliding surface, but some shoes have a sliding surface covering only the outline of the shoe and other enhancements with the full-sole slider. Some shoes have small disc sliders covering the front and heel portions or only the front portion of the foot, which allow more flexibility in the sliding foot for curlers playing with tuck deliveries.[43] When a player is not throwing, the player's slider shoe can be temporarily rendered non-slippery by using a slip-on gripper. Ordinary athletic shoes may be converted to sliders by using a step-on or slip-on Teflon slider or by applying electrical or gaffer tape directly to the sole or over a piece of cardboard. This arrangement often suits casual or beginning players.

The gripper is worn by the thrower on the hack foot during delivery and is designed to grip the ice. It may have a normal athletic shoe sole or a special layer of rubbery material applied to the sole of a thickness to match the sliding shoe. The toe of the hack foot shoe may also have a rubberised coating on the top surface or a flap that hangs over the toe to reduce wear on the top of the shoe as it drags on the ice behind the thrower.

Curling - Wikipedia

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What gets me is Yahoo! "News" Russiaphobia.
The Russian curler busted for roids(meldonium)Krushelnytsky.

Yahoo Goes on and on about why they would even use such a stupid steroid.
Well it's for Ischemia, Which is what happens when your blood doesn't pump to the areas of your body it needs to, such as FROZEN FEET.

And anyone busted for it since it's banning(ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2016), has been an ice-related sport.
Like, where Russians are born.

If I didn't know any better I'd call this a politically motivated substance ban, particularly since it has virtually no performance enhancing aspects.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
What gets me is Yahoo! "News" Russiaphobia.
The Russian curler busted for roids(meldonium)Krushelnytsky.

Yahoo Goes on and on about why they would even use such a stupid steroid.
Well it's for Ischemia, Which is what happens when your blood doesn't pump to the areas of your body it needs to, such as FROZEN FEET.

And anyone busted for it since it's banning(ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2016), has been an ice-related sport.
Like, where Russians are born.

If I didn't know any better I'd call this a politically motivated substance ban, particularly since it has virtually no performance enhancing aspects.
I'm not going to say it's not a politically motivated attack because it's certainly possible but you are incorrect about all athlete busted for it being for ice-related sports
The highest profile athlete to fail for this drug was a tennis star, Maria Sharapova

The drug was banned for two reasons
1 - it was found that this drug actually helps endurance for healthy athletes
2 - it is a masking agent so you can take other higher quality peds

Now, your politically motivated comment again may very well be true
This drug has been prescribed regulary by doctors in eastern block countries for a long fucking time

Wada are the ones who give the reasons why it was banned which is what I listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean its true, I haven't personally seen the studies they did

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm not going to say it's not a politically motivated attack because it's certainly possible but you are incorrect about all athlete busted for it being for ice-related sports
The highest profile athlete to fail for this drug was a tennis star, Maria Sharapova

The drug was banned for two reasons
1 - it was found that this drug actually helps endurance for healthy athletes
2 - it is a masking agent so you can take other higher quality peds

Now, your politically motivated comment again may very well be true
This drug has been prescribed regulary by doctors in eastern block countries for a long fucking time

Wada are the ones who give the reasons why it was banned which is what I listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean its true, I haven't personally seen the studies they did

I had no idea it was a masking agent, but it stays in your system for 4 to 6 months.

I knew Sharapova was busted for it, being the most high profile case, so I should have phrased that "most of the athletes busted for it have their toes in small shoes in cold temperatures", such as ice skaters.

Why on earth anyone would use meldonium as a masking agent when after it's half life it sticks around for so long is beyond me.

Certainly what bothers me the most is the audacity of the American media to thrash on other countries steroids use when we live on the crap.
OUR OWNERS of organizations are on them foe pete's sake.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
I had no idea it was a masking agent, but it stays in your system for 4 to 6 months.

I knew Sharapova was busted for it, being the most high profile case, so I should have phrased that "most of the athletes busted for it have their toes in small shoes in cold temperatures", such as ice skaters.

Why on earth anyone would use meldonium as a masking agent when after it's half life it sticks around for so long is beyond me.

Certainly what bothers me the most is the audacity of the American media to thrash on other countries steroids use when we live on the crap.
OUR OWNERS of organizations are on them foe pete's sake.
Good post
The other thing is, as you said, it stays in your system for a long ass time, and he passed earlier tests
It makes absolutely no sense to use that drug like the week of the competition, it would literally have zero effect.

Russia has opened an investigation, they think somebody drugged him (slipped something into his drink or something). that's why i haven't really come down on this guy yet

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I've been to a ton of events where plenty of drunk dudes fall on their head. It's a great time.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good post
The other thing is, as you said, it stays in your system for a long ass time, and he passed earlier tests
It makes absolutely no sense to use that drug like the week of the competition, it would literally have zero effect.

Russia has opened an investigation, they think somebody drugged him (slipped something into his drink or something). that's why i haven't really come down on this guy yet
I'm not sure what you mean by "It makes absolutely no sense to use that drug like the week of the competition, it would literally have zero effect. "
The half-life is 4-6 hours; it's a circulatory drug which works within the day it's taken.

Interesting watching this unfold with the accusations you mentioned. I saw that earlier circulating the internet.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by "It makes absolutely no sense to use that drug like the week of the competition, it would literally have zero effect. "
The half-life is 4-6 hours; it's a circulatory drug which works within the day it's taken.

Interesting watching this unfold with the accusations you mentioned. I saw that earlier circulating the internet.

I'll try to find the article I was reading later but it was saying that to actually get endurance benefits from it, it would have to be something that you've been taking for a while
That with him passing the other tests it shows he wasn't taking it earlier and therefore the benefits one would get using it only once would be practically zero

The other thing is if he wasn't taking it before, then he obviously wasn't using it as a masking drug either

I'm going to follow it as much as I can, but if we don't hear anymore about the Russian investigation through north American media, I won't be surprised

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
I'll try to find the number but it was crazy the amount of Russians who failed for this drug
Really makes you think
Is it just like asprine for us where we just take it without thinking like I've been told by some Germans and reading as well
Or was this the masking agent the state sponsored program had them on

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I've been to a ton of events where plenty of drunk dudes fall on their head. It's a great time.
Curlers are elite level athletes, I doubt they are competing while intoxicated.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
the funniest part of a curling match is when the entire team stands around in the bullseye and has a conversation about what they are going to do like if they were hanging out at a bbq.

curlers should endorse swiffers

team USA just lost to Sweden in womens curling

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Nina roth was feisty after the loss she has crazy eyes

swiffer top team