Arum: UFC wants 50 percent of Conor McGregor’s purse for Floyd Mayweather fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Zxq6ssFnc

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has been around forever, and has long been a controversial figure in the sport of boxing. He has also never been shy about bashing MMA, and the UFC in particular, when he gets the chance. With that being said, he does offer a unique perspective on the proposed Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather boxing match simply due to his experience.

In an interview with FightHub he offered his perspective on the fight, and dropped an interesting tidbit about an apparent deal the UFC tried to make with McGregor regarding his purse for the bout:

"I think the only impediment there is the UFC, because UFC doesn't treat fighters the same way that boxing promoters do. In other words, UFC fighters get so much less than boxers do. They proposed a deal to Conor that on his share of the purse, they take 50 percent. Now, give me a break.

"If the fight doesn't happen...not that I think it's going to be a great fight, because I think Conor fighting Mayweather is not really a fight, if it's boxing. Conor (is a) great MMA fighter, but hasn't shown anything in boxing. And Mayweather's one of the great fighters. But if that fight doesn't happen, the blame will only be on the UFC."

Full story here:
Arum: UFC wants 50% of Conor’s purse for Floyd fight

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I never thought he would fight in the UFC again anyway, he has to defend the title and he has never done so in his career

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I never thought he would fight in the UFC again anyway, he has to defend the title and he has never done so in his career
Yup Conor isn't a real champ. Real champs defend belts and that is how you build a legacy. Forrest Griffen also won a title. Bisping is champ. Winning a belt for Conor was a relatively easy road. Defending those belts whooooo that is a whole other Animal.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I see nothing wrong with this. Conor signed a CONTRACT with the UFC. Dont sign the fucking contract if you arent going to follow the terms set forth in it. And these fighters want a union that is solely based on fucking contracts

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
just the beginning of negotiations, they may come to an agreement, but they won't throw out their lowest acceptable figure first.

M

member 3289

Arum is speculating. If anything, he has inside information. But as he's the promoter for neither Floyd nor Conor, this information cannot be seen as accurate.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Aldo took a nap in 13 and Eddie got hit so hard he didn't know where he was.

Lol at the butt hurt who is saying the 4 belt holder in 3 divisions isn't champ.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Yup Conor isn't a real champ. Real champs defend belts and that is how you build a legacy. Forrest Griffen also won a title. Bisping is champ. Winning a belt for Conor was a relatively easy road. Defending those belts whooooo that is a whole other Animal.
People say this a lot, you're not a champ until you defend. No, you win a belt, you are the champ, that is how it works. Some guys won the belt, then lost it again, but they were still really a champ. This kind of talk gets you interim belts. And any road with Aldo on it, is never an easy road. Ever. People shitting on Aldo because he lost one fight, one.

The Sound of Violence

Host of a podcast about mma podcasts
Oct 28, 2015
People say this a lot, you're not a champ until you defend. No, you win a belt, you are the champ, that is how it works. Some guys won the belt, then lost it again, but they were still really a champ. This kind of talk gets you interim belts. And any road with Aldo on it, is never an easy road. Ever. People shitting on Aldo because he lost one fight, one.
We have a certain hillbilly who is looking to fight a dinosaur to thank for that quote.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Haha I bet the letters on the keys that spell "defend his title" are completely gone from your keyboard due to over-use.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
This is as dumb as "you gotta BEAT the champ to beat the champ" and "don't leave it in the hands of the judges".

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Mmmm... Not exactly imo.
Both have a history of being shitbag pieces of human excrement.
But BLAF has a history if literally saying the opposite of what's true, shortly before it's poroven to be a blatant lie.
Arum is at least on record of exposing the UFC contract situation - he coined the ubiquitous "U Fight Cheap" moniker as I recall.
Chances are very high he's the one telling the truth here...

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
if fight happens
fight will be fixed/worked so both save face and make 100+ million

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Mmmm... Not exactly imo.
Both have a history of being shitbag pieces of human excrement.
But BLAF has a history if literally saying the opposite of what's true, shortly before it's poroven to be a blatant lie.
Arum is at least on record of exposing the UFC contract situation - he coined the ubiquitous "U Fight Cheap" moniker as I recall.
Chances are very high he's the one telling the truth here...
Arum is famously known and mocked for this sentence
"Yesterday, I was lying. Today I'm telling the truth."

Now add in the fact that Arum and Mayweather are on bad terms and the fact that White/UFC and Arum are on bad terms and then tell me why Arum would be telling the truth about a fight negotiation that he's not involved in and won't make any money from...

I 100% feel that the only way this happens is with the UFC getting a cut for doing nothing and I'm sure they want a decent cut.. But trying to determine whether Dana or Arum is being the most honest is like trying to determine which turd tastes the best.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I hope the UFC doesn't accuse boxing promoters of being crooks if they are going to do shit like this.