As an MMA fan, what's your opinion of Kickboxing?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
LOL it went completely over my head. put a joke warning next time please.

K-1 level striking not always works in mma indeed which makes it look bad to the untrained eye but there is a ton of reasons to explain why that happens and a whole lot of other examples where K-1 level actually worked pretty well. at least when they say "K-1 level striking" usually the guy actually fought in K-1 at the highest level. I have a never ending gripe with the millions of "muay thai champions" that fight in mma with varying levels of muay thai spanning from awful to medium often getting KTFO which prompts all the MMA bros to declare the inefectiveness of muay thai.
Apparrently Teymur is a "Swedish Muay Thai champion"

Which means about the same as "Canadian Rugby Champions" too me.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Apparrently Teymur is a "Swedish Muay Thai champion"

Which means about the same as "Canadian Rugby Champions" too me.
lol yeah this is ridiculous. everybody is a muay thai champion. at least Teymur wasn't "world champion".

the sweden muay thai champion level accounts for him knowing that the muay thai clinch is not simply grabbing someone on the back of their head and kneeing them in the face. he threw some hard knees to the body which seemed to slow down Vannata a little bit.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
lol yeah this is ridiculous. everybody is a muay thai champion. at least Teymur wasn't "world champion".

the sweden muay thai champion level accounts for him knowing that the muay thai clinch is not simply grabbing someone on the back of their head and kneeing them in the face. he threw some hard knees to the body which seemed to slow down Vannata a little bit.
Right?

Apparently being a national champion in a country that doesn't produce notable Thaiboxers let alone Kickboxers is a huge accomplishment?

The only guy I'm even aware of from Sweden that's a Kickboxer is Sanny Dahlbeck(sp) and it's been so long since I've seen that guy fight I can't even remember if he was any good(I think that was the Glory 3 tournament).

They say that the country next too Thailand for producing great Thaiboxers is France, unfortunately, MMA is illegal there from what I understand.

I'm only aware of guys like Alamos and Pinca. There's a HW guy I remember who fought in the UFC before, can't remember his name.

Anyway, the only other places I can think of that produce notable Thaiboxers(and obviously we're talking above 154 lbs for the most part, so) would probably be Russia(Levin) or Australia(JWP, Nagbe, Smith)... maybe Ukraine or Belarus(Ignashov, Kulebin)?

Fun fact about Dahlbeck and Teymur, not terribly surprised to see that they fought, Dahlbeck won best two out of 3.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Right?

Apparently being a national champion in a country that doesn't produce notable Thaiboxers let alone Kickboxers is a huge accomplishment?

The only guy I'm even aware of from Sweden that's a Kickboxer is Sanny Dahlbeck(sp) and it's been so long since I've seen that guy fight I can't even remember if he was any good(I think that was the Glory 3 tournament).

They say that the country next too Thailand for producing great Thaiboxers is France, unfortunately, MMA is illegal there from what I understand.

I'm only aware of guys like Alamos and Pinca. There's a HW guy I remember who fought in the UFC before, can't remember his name.

Anyway, the only other places I can think of that produce notable Thaiboxers(and obviously we're talking above 154 lbs for the most part, so) would probably be Russia(Levin) or Australia(JWP, Nagbe, Smith)... maybe Ukraine or Belarus(Ignashov, Kulebin)?

Fun fact about Dahlbeck and Teymur, not terribly surprised to see that they fought, Dahlbeck won best two out of 3.
I barely remember Dahlbeck too, as far as I remember he was a jobber, someone who will put up a fight, beat low level guys and lose to the elite. I think Sweden is not bad with their level of muay thai, I've read more than one time that swedens are among the most common farang at thai gyms but obviously they're not producing any high level thaiboxers.

France is definitely #1 in the world at muay thai after Thailand, they've had old legit fighters like Dany Bill, hypejobs like Jean Charles Skawrbowsky and the Pinto Brothers as well as some of the best farang currently like Pinca, Alamos and the best french IMO Dylan Salvador who is going to face Sittichai for the Glory LW title this month.

the next place on the list would have to be Japan IMO with their Raja Stadium paper champs but no place other than Thailand produces good thaiboxers consistently. if you would make a p4p top 100 muay thai list you'd have to name 100 thais, literally. Russia and the sovietic countries are all about kickboxing; Australia has a good influx of talent due to the proximity with Thailand but nothing noteworthy; the best farang in the world currently by far is Yousef Boughanem who is from Belgium but he's been on Thailand for 10+ years and he doesn't account for Belgium muay thai, he's just a guy that moved to Thailand to live the muay thai life - he's a thai that looks like a westerner.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
I barely remember Dahlbeck too, as far as I remember he was a jobber, someone who will put up a fight, beat low level guys and lose to the elite. I think Sweden is not bad with their level of muay thai, I've read more than one time that swedens are among the most common farang at thai gyms but obviously they're not producing any high level thaiboxers.

France is definitely #1 in the world at muay thai after Thailand, they've had old legit fighters like Dany Bill, hypejobs like Jean Charles Skawrbowsky and the Pinto Brothers as well as some of the best farang currently like Pinca, Alamos and the best french IMO Dylan Salvador who is going to face Sittichai for the Glory LW title this month.

the next place on the list would have to be Japan IMO with their Raja Stadium paper champs but no place other than Thailand produces good thaiboxers consistently. if you would make a p4p top 100 muay thai list you'd have to name 100 thais, literally. Russia and the sovietic countries are all about kickboxing; Australia has a good influx of talent due to the proximity with Thailand but nothing noteworthy; the best farang in the world currently by far is Yousef Boughanem who is from Belgium but he's been on Thailand for 10+ years and he doesn't account for Belgium muay thai, he's just a guy that moved to Thailand to live the muay thai life - he's a thai that looks like a westerner.
I was aware that the Japanese trained Thaiboxing aswell, just thought they'd be alot more geared towards Kyokushin or some other form of Karate, which I still believe can be an effective base for Kickfighting as long as you have a strong ability with the basic techniques and immerse yourself into the fundamentals of Boxing to round out your game, I don't take alot of the hand techniques they, along with TKD, teach very seriously though... TKD teaches one of the silliest punch techniques I've ever seen:

trained it for several years when I was a boy, didn't think much of it at first, but the more I practiced that technique the more I realized what a bunch of non-sense it was, my head instructor always said "hit someody in the solar plexus with this and you'll knock the wind out of them" yeah, if you can land it. You'd never see someone use it in free sparring, let alone in an actual fight, competition or street. They teach a great arsenal of kicks and it gave me a good base that now allows me to train other arts more easily because of this and fantastic leg dexterity and explosiveness/athletic movement, but that's really all ever took from it.

Funny thing, I'm still in love with alot of those kicks, I'm currently watching a Keiji Ozaki fight. That dude is fast with those spins.

Would like to train at Banchamek and Poptheratham gym one day, if they'll have me. Both Buakaw and Samart are big influences on me. Wish there was more footage of Samart, I can't seem to find much on YouTube, but that man had a great style, strong teeps and great hands.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I was aware that the Japanese trained Thaiboxing aswell, just thought they'd be alot more geared towards Kyokushin or some other form of Karate, which I still believe can be an effective base for Kickfighting as long as you have a strong ability with the basic techniques and immerse yourself into the fundamentals of Boxing to round out your game, I don't take alot of the hand techniques they, along with TKD, teach very seriously though... TKD teaches one of the silliest punch techniques I've ever seen:

trained it for several years when I was a boy, didn't think much of it at first, but the more I practiced that technique the more I realized what a bunch of non-sense it was, my head instructor always said "hit someody in the solar plexus with this and you'll knock the wind out of them" yeah, if you can land it. You'd never see someone use it in free sparring, let alone in an actual fight, competition or street. They teach a great arsenal of kicks and it gave me a good base that now allows me to train other arts more easily because of this and fantastic leg dexterity and explosiveness/athletic movement, but that's really all ever took from it.

Funny thing, I'm still in love with alot of those kicks, I'm currently watching a Keiji Ozaki fight. That dude is fast with those spins.

Would like to train at Banchamek and Poptheratham gym one day, if they'll have me. Both Buakaw and Samart are big influences on me. Wish there was more footage of Samart, I can't seem to find much on YouTube, but that man had a great style, strong teeps and great hands.
lol at that punch...

the japanese are dealing with muay thai for over 40 years, they have absorbed it and have experience in it. I see nothing of karate in their kickboxers, they throw the muay thai round kick and rely on boxing and conditioning.

Raja promoters are WME-like and always make sure that one or two japanese are champions at the higher weight classes. it doesn't mean that they're the best but they are legit.

battleworn

Feb 24, 2017
Used to love the K1 Max with the smaller guys..very exciting with a ton of great fighters competing.

battleworn

Feb 24, 2017
Japanese have been coming to thailand since the 60s i think and training Muay Thai in the camps. Many of the Thai trainers have made alot of money going to Japan to teach full time. People like Rambaa went over there to teach Muay Thai then cross trained and learned MMA. Now the surge is from China, the chinese have gotten into Muay Thai big time, coming over in waves to train in the thai camps and bringing trainers over there.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
lol at that punch...

the japanese are dealing with muay thai for over 40 years, they have absorbed it and have experience in it. I see nothing of karate in their kickboxers, they throw the muay thai round kick and rely on boxing and conditioning.

Raja promoters are WME-like and always make sure that one or two japanese are champions at the higher weight classes. it doesn't mean that they're the best but they are legit.
Yeah tons of non-sense blocks and hand techniques in TKD... they "teach" elbows, like, I remember doing them in forms, but... again, nothing legit.

I'm sure some would argue that all of the techniques are effective/useful, but even as a 12 year old I could see alot of it was silly... turned me off from martial arts all together until I got into MMA and everything else 7 years ago. Not that I take Joe Rogan very seriously, but he's 100% right about TKD, alot of it is useless.

I've still had people try to tell me that it's effective, but you never use it in live sparring, so you'll never develop it too the point of it being effective in a live fight.

I've always looked at Muay Thai as the "no non-sense" Asian martial art. Nothing they teach you is in-effective... only thing I'd say is more complete is Lethwei, because of the headbutts, although, I'm aware that Muay Thai is much more developed and wide-spread.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
Japanese have been coming to thailand since the 60s i think and training Muay Thai in the camps. Many of the Thai trainers have made alot of money going to Japan to teach full time. People like Rambaa went over there to teach Muay Thai then cross trained and learned MMA. Now the surge is from China, the chinese have gotten into Muay Thai big time, coming over in waves to train in the thai camps and bringing trainers over there.
Since you mentioned China, I've been really interested in Sanda since I learned about it, sounds like it'd be an effective base for MMA with it's mix of Kickboxing and Wrestling.

What's the competition level/popularity like for Sanda?

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I've always looked at Muay Thai as the "no non-sense" Asian martial art. Nothing they teach you is in-effective... only thing I'd say is more complete is Lethwei, because of the headbutts, although, I'm aware that Muay Thai is much more developed and wide-spread.
yes that's the way I see it too. it is an all out stand up fight, you can teep to the balls, you can hold, twist, knee, elbow, sweep... it also used to allow headbutts and I believe the techniques are designed from the time where you'd have to deal with them. when you trap arms in the clinch you're on line for an epic headbutt. but overall from what we saw when mma began IMO headbutts and groin shots are not game changers, not on the feet. you won't land no epic headbutts and groin kicks on someone who's squared up ready to counter and check.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah tons of non-sense blocks and hand techniques in TKD... they "teach" elbows, like, I remember doing them in forms, but... again, nothing legit.

I'm sure some would argue that all of the techniques are effective/useful, but even as a 12 year old I could see alot of it was silly... turned me off from martial arts all together until I got into MMA and everything else 7 years ago. Not that I take Joe Rogan very seriously, but he's 100% right about TKD, alot of it is useless.

I've still had people try to tell me that it's effective, but you never use it in live sparring, so you'll never develop it too the point of it being effective in a live fight.

My Burmese barber (not a "badass" guy) knocked out a fella at Poseidon a couple of nights ago. Like clean knocked out which is pretty fucking rare. I LOVE watching Lethwei, I reckon there might be an influx of Burmese fighters into MMA some day soon. They just haven't had the ability to "breed" fighters the way Thailand has. Hopefully that will change as the country opens up more.
The reason I moved here is Muay Thai, people like to joke it was for recreational reasons, that came later.

battleworn

Feb 24, 2017
Ahhh--the wonderful world of Poseidon!
Lethwei is being poorly run by the people who sort of took charge. They are not embracing MMA ---kind of like how the thais were and for the most part still are. They see it as competition and not as something someone could compete in both and do well. Or for that matter use one to rise in another since MMA is global and widespread and lethwei is marginalized and small. Lethwei's growth will depend on good leadership and developing safety for competing fighters. There was a huge interest spurt then it sort of died down due to people not wanting to work with Burmese business people who didnt know what they were doing outside of sticking their hands out. The Burmese also don't pay even decent pay to fighters so its not attractive or a draw for most good fighters. They are still in the building phase and camps are slowly starting to build up copying the thai methodology. In old bare knuckle thai and cambodian styles, all the techniques are there with the headbutts, throws, small joint locks-they sort of fell into disuse since they couldnt be fought much outside of the yearly border songkron shows.