As The Gym Turns: All things Faber/Dillashaw/Ludwig and TAM/Elevation/Peanut Butter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015

View: http://youtu.be/USOGqa2CzDo

The Elevation Fight Team head coach told MMA Fighting on Friday that Urijah Faber was incorrect in classifying him as a "recruiter." UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw left Faber's Team Alpha Male this week for Elevation Fight Team to much controversy.

On the Stud Show Radio podcast Thursday night, Faber accused Bowling of trying to steal fighters.

"I come to find out later there's a guy Leister or something like that," Faber said. "He's a recruiter or wrestling coach or something like that who has been talking to Cody [Garbrandt] and trying to get Cody to come out. Basically trying to chicken hawk guys and apparently there's an article where he said something like, 'I had a heart-to-heart with T.J.,' granted, he's worked with him half of one camp - 'and I told him it's about time you do something for yourself. It's about time you do something selfish.'"

Bowling said that is not true. He said he didn't attempt to persuade Dillashaw to leave Alpha Male for Elevation. Dillashaw had done parts of two camps in Denver at Elevation with his striking coach Duane Ludwig, who is in the middle of a nasty feud with Faber. Bowling said he simply told Dillashaw that it was a bad idea to be bouncing back and forth between two gyms in two different states.

"Put everybody's feelings aside and do what's best for you," Bowling said he told Dillashaw. "Honestly, you need to pick one, because as a world champion splitting your time -- 50-50, 60-40, whatever -- going from California to Denver for eight weeks, you're not getting the focus you need as the world champ. If your home base is in Sacramento and having all those monsters to train with every day is what you need to stay at the top, then don't ever come back to Colorado. If I'm in your shoes, I would pick one and do it. I said I would hate to see you not come back to Colorado, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. And if you feel like training with Duane and being out here on probably a slightly smaller team with probably a little more focus, if you feel that's what you need, then do that. But you can't just keep going back and forth, because you don't want to hurt somebody's feelings.

"I didn't try to sway him one way or the other and I'm sure T.J. would vouch for that if anybody ever asks him."

Dillashaw said earlier this week on Stud Show Radio that he'll be getting paid to train with Elevation Fight Team at the MusclePharm gym, rather than paying to train. Bowling clarified that Dillashaw will be getting a sponsorship with MusclePharm in correlation with him training in Colorado.

"MusclePharm sponsored fighters since the beginning of time, since MusclePharm started," Bowling said. "Any of our guys that are at the highest levels, there's money available for certain guys. Obviously when you're the champion of the world and you're training out of a supplement company's gym that sponsors UFC fighters, it's pretty natural that you're going to be able to work a deal with them."

A big factor at play is also the ability to work with Ludwig. The former Team Alpha Male coach is not an official coach at the MusclePharm gym, but "several" Elevation fighters train at Ludwig's Colorado gym for striking, Bowling said. Dillashaw and Ludwig will absolutely continue their arrangement with Dillashaw in close proximity.

"They've got something special," said Bowling, who coached Ludwig when Ludwig fought in the UFC. "It's like the Mike Tyson-Cus D'Amato relationship. Those two just click and there's nothing that should ever tear that apart. It's a special coach-athlete relationship."

As far as Faber's accusations that Bowling was also trying to poach Garbrandt, a top UFC prospect, Bowling denies that as well. He said he and Garbrandt have spoken a few times in the past with Garbrandt expressing interest in stopping at the MusclePharm gym after a trip to Donald Cerrone's New Mexico ranch.

Bowling said that Dillashaw and former Alpha Male teammates Joseph Benavidez, Danny Castillo and Lance Palmer have all trained with Elevation in the past. Dillashaw and Castillo did a good amount of their last training camps in Colorado, Bowling said. Those four fighters told Garbrandt there was good training there and that's what led to the dialogue, according to Bowling.

"I told him just like I told everyone: our doors are always open," Bowling said. ... "Have I talked to Cody Garbrandt? Yes. Am I actively recruiting Cody Garbrandt? No."

Bowling said he does understand Faber's apprehension about the current circumstances and admits the situation "sucks," especially for Dillashaw.

"If I was in [Faber's] shoes, I'd feel the same way," Bowling said. "He doesn't know me. The only UFC champion Team Alpha Male has ever had left. From T.J.'s perspective, those are his best friends, man. He always wanted to still be part of the team. But truly, he wants to train with Duane and Duane isn't there anymore."

That, Bowling said, is the main factor here. Bowling said recruiting is not part of his job description and he doesn't get compensated for that.

"I wish I did, though," he joked. "I'd recruit Urijah."

Elevation coach responds to Urijah Faber: I'm not 'actively recruiting' Team Alpha Male fighters - MMA Fighting

Related articles/storyline:

Urijah Faber: Duane Ludwig was 'dead broke' and we gave him an opportunity | FOX Sports

T.J. Dillashaw: Elevation Fight Team is paying me 'good money' to train there - MMA Fighting

Urijah Faber opens up about T.J. Dillashaw departure: 'He walked away from the family' - MMA Fighting

Just the facts Jack! Quick synopsis for new viewers: Laying out the Facts: Urijah Faber vs. Duane Ludwig situation - Bloody Elbow

Last edited:

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Surprise: A team full of men the size of middle-school girls are acting like a bunch of middle-school girls.

I'll be tuning in for Faber/Dillashaw, but let's not kid around: Faber's striking has deteriorated so much over the past couple years. He doesn't throw combinations anymore. EVER. It's always one punch, in and out, mixing in oh so few setups and jabs. With TJ's speed advantage, movement, and power, it would be a humiliating, one-sided beatdown.

I don't like Faber, but I don't dislike Faber, and I kind of feel bad for the guy. He wants to be the good guy, but he feels betrayed, only he hasn't been betrayed, and it's all playing out publicly. He's going to end up looking poorly, then getting his ass beat. I'm going to watch, but damn.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I dont believe this guy when he says he's not recruiting fighters, and didn't try to recruit Cody Garbrandt, for example. "Our door is always open"...why would you say that, if you're not suggesting he come out? He may be a great guy, but I'm not buying that for a second.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
A lot of notable fighters have trained at that facility regularly and promoted it on social media but before they had a "team", Cerrone, Rampage etc. but I'm not sure what the difference in calling it your home team is going to do for them financially. I was under the impression it's a private facility not open to the public?

And some female fighters have complained about not being welcome at MP.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A lot of notable fighters have trained at that facility regularly and promoted it on social media but before they had a "team", Cerrone, Rampage etc. but I'm not sure what the difference in calling it your home team is going to do for them financially. I was under the impression it's a private facility not open to the public?

I just tried to send you a PM and it told me I couldn't. Does TMMAC's own Spice Girl not like Warchild?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I feel really bad for TJ during all of this. I hope he doesn't lose focus because he's doing so well right now. Can't wait for the Cruz fight.

Lukewarm Carl

Formerly 'SuperPig'
Aug 7, 2015
I dont believe this guy when he says he's not recruiting fighters, and didn't try to recruit Cody Garbrandt, for example. "Our door is always open"...why would you say that, if you're not suggesting he come out? He may be a great guy, but I'm not buying that for a second.
While I'm sure that Bowling wouldn't mind adding Cody to his gym but it's quite possible that he was talking to Cody at some point and told him to stop by and check out the gym because he'd love to work with him at some point. He may not have meant anything by it as far as making it a permanent home and just wants to work with a talented up and comer as many coaches and athletes like to do.

The situation could have been completely harmless by all parties initially but with the mess that the Bang/Faber situation has become it's just put a bad smell on everything at this point.

Or he was totally trying to recruit people but doesn't want to get lumped into an image like Glenn Robinson has with Blackzillians and is now trying to cover his ass.

Who knows? I don't really care. I just want the fighters to train where they're the most comfortable and feel that they get the best training.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Cat Zingano is at MusclePharm. Perhaps she doesn't want to train with her competition? If that is the case I don't blame her.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Cat Zingano is at MusclePharm. Perhaps she doesn't want to train with her competition? If that is the case I don't blame her.
It was before Cat was in the news. I'll try to remember who it was but I don't follow wmma closely. I believe it was someone still with Invicta.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Two weeks ago on The MMA Hour, Faber went on a lengthy rant about Ludwig, his former coach with Team Alpha Male, accusing him of sexism and racism, among other things. Ludwig denied those charges, admitting that the cause of the issues between the two stem somewhat from Ludwig being an inexperienced businessman.

"So let him do this thing and let him ride his drama wave," Ludwig said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "He's just wrapped up in drama mode from being punked on the show from Conor so much. Conor really got in his head, so he's trying to take it out on me and then it's just overspilling. It's just escalating. Just put the brakes on it, man. Nobody needs this right now."

Last week, Ludwig's prized pupil and UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw left Team Alpha Male to train at Elevation Fight Team in Denver. Much of the move has to do with Dillashaw continuing his training with Ludwig, whose new gym is a half hour from Elevation's MusclePharm facility.

Ludwig said Dillashaw is dealing with all the recent drama the best he can.

"I think he's handling it pretty well," Ludwig said. "But having your supposed friends close on the door so you can't be in here, that's not right. I don't think he's handling that very well, which I wouldn't handle that very well, either."

Ludwig said he does not regret his time with Team Alpha Male even a little bit. He only wishes that he made things clearer in negotiations with Faber.

Duane Ludwig: Urijah Faber upset because Conor McGregor 'punked' him on The Ultimate Fighter - MMA Fighting

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
TJ Dillashaw Talks Fighting Uriah Faber and being banned from Team Alpha Male gym

For starters, Faber — who went on the Stud Show podcast last week and aired some dirty laundry on Dillashaw — doesn’t want the champion at the Sacramento gym any more. It seems that Dillashaw, who trained at TAM for the last six years and coached kickboxing twice a week, has been banned.

And as of Monday, it seems that both Faber and Dillashaw are open to the idea of fighting each other — something both were reluctant to do throughout Dillashaw’s reign as a champion.

When asked if he’d stand across from his mentor and teammate of six years under the new conditions, Dillashaw said he would, albeit reluctantly.

"You know, I didn’t think I would be until Urijah started saying the stuff he did," he said. "He’s the one saying he’s more than willing to fight me. I felt we were a lot closer friends than that, so I put my heart and soul into this team and I thought we were a lot closer than that. I mean, he’s obviously looking for a big fight in his career, and I think I’m…I don’t want to have to do it, but you know, if I’ll be the last statement on his career, if that’s the way it’s got to be, but that’s not really the way I want to do it."

One thing that the 29-year old Dillashaw made clear was that he was "very hurt" to be shut out of the gym because of his decision to relocate to Colorado.

Dillashaw also knows all about Faber. When asked if he was confident he could beat Faber, given the insights both have on the other, Dillashaw had a one-word answer.

"Absolutely."

When he was asked if it would be weird to fight Faber, given the relationship with the other guys in the gym — Cody Garbrandt, Joseph Benavidez, Chad Mendes, et al. — Dillashaw said there would be no strain from his end.

With all that’s gone on in the last week, TJ Dillashaw says he’s open to a fight with Urijah Faber - MMA Fighting

Last edited:

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
That entire Colorado crew = snakes

I will laugh when this entire camp blows up in their face, all their guys lose etc, similar to when Blackzilians first started. The whole stealing talent thing never seems to work out too great for these wanna be entrepreneurs.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Details on team Elevation?
UFC vets Matt Brown, Clay Guida join T.J. Dillashaw at Elevation Fight Team - Bloody Elbow

Colorado's Elevation Fight Team had already boasted a stable featuring Neil Magny, Brandon Thatch, and Cat Zingano, but over the past few days they've added three more prominent UFC faces to the camp. Earlier this week, UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw made the move to Elevation Fight Team from Team Alpha male, and now we know that top 10 welterweight Matt Brown and top 15 featherweight Clay Guida will also train there. Camp head coach Leister Bowling spoke to MMA Fighting about the new acquisitions:

"[Brown] has great training and great coaches back home [in Ohio], too," Bowling said. "But the training partners for him, I think he was just looking for a place where he knew every day he was gonna have somebody to train with."

Guida, who is sponsored by MusclePharm, is also a relatively new addition. He had bounced around between JacksonWink MMA in Albuquerque and Team Alpha Male in Sacramento recently.

"It's awesome to have him," Bowling said.

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Duane Ludwig Feels Some Type of Way:

With no UFC event this past weekend, much of the media's focus has been on the recent fallout between Urijah Faber and former Team Alpha Male head coach Duane Ludwig. Faber, who opened up on his experiences with Ludwig, let it be known that the renowned coach was never interested in coaching female fighters.

According to former UFC heavyweight champion Bas Rutten, Ludwig's perspective was not a slight on female fighters' technique, but rather an emphasis on how he felt about women getting punched in the face.

"What he says, it's not like he doesn't like women fighting," Rutten explained to Submission Radio. "He thinks it's unnatural when women get hit in the face. He doesn't like to see that. That's his thing. It's not like he has anything against their techniques or anyone. Like Rousey, he talks always great about Rousey and about great women fighters, but he says "to me it feels unnatural when I see a women get beat in the face". You know?"

Bas Rutten explains Ludwig’s issues with WMMA: ‘He thinks it’s unnatural’ - Bloody Elbow

Last edited:

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Duane Ludwig Feels Some Type of Way:

With no UFC event this past weekend, much of the media's focus has been on the recent fallout between Urijah Faber and former Team Alpha Male head coach Duane Ludwig. Faber, who opened up on his experiences with Ludwig, let it be known that the renowned coach was never interested in coaching female fighters.

According to former UFC heavyweight champion Bas Rutten, Ludwig's perspective was not a slight on female fighters' technique, but rather an emphasis on how he felt about women getting punched in the face.

"What he says, it's not like he doesn't like women fighting," Rutten explained to Submission Radio. "He thinks it's unnatural when women get hit in the face. He doesn't like to see that. That's his thing. It's not like he has anything against their techniques or anyone. Like Rousey, he talks always great about Rousey and about great women fighters, but he says "to me it feels unnatural when I see a women get beat in the face". You know?"

Bas Rutten explains Ludwig’s issues with WMMA: ‘He thinks it’s unnatural’ - Bloody Elbow
Dejavu :)