Askren: 165 division would provide more ‘superfight opportunities’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Ben Askren hasn’t even made his UFC debut yet, but he’s already got some strong opinions on the direction the promotion should take in the not to distant future.

The UFC’s current division structure has hit something of a state of fluctuation. Most notably, reported plans to kill off the men’s flyweight (125 lb) division appear to be creeping ahead, with multiple fighters released in the last couple weeks. But when one door closes, perhaps another will open. That’s the hope of a few fighters toiling away in the lightweight and welterweight divisions.

Back in September Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier took it upon themselves to set up a 165 lb title fight around their planned matchup at UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden. Dana White was quick to officially snuff the idea - and eventually…

Ben Askren wants a 165 lb division for more ‘superfights’: Fans want ‘to see sh-t they haven’t seen before’

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing 155, 165, and 175 divisions. Like Ben explains, it would allow more fighters to jump around weight classes & provide us some fantastic match ups.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Should just have a weight class every two pounds. Then we can have cards loaded with champions and sell sex million paperviews a week

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
The 165lbs division has been talked about a lot & I don't think it will ever come to fruition. At least not in the UFC.

I can't find any org that currently has 165 in place. but I could see it being introduced to differentiate or make an org look more attractive to fighters vs the UFC.

I wonder if these extra weight classes would be on everyone's lips if weight cutting wasn't the s.o.p.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
This fucking guy.. hasnt even fought in the UFC and already trying to dictate things to his advantage. lol His last fight was against a 145er in AOKI... I cannot wait to see him get smashed.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
There's already too many divisions, I can't keep track of who's in what division.
Agreed. I am glad the 125 division goes. And after that I hope they keep things the way they are. If anything, get rid of another division, to decrease weight cutting oppertunities if they are so worried about that.