General Assange asks US for asylum in exchange for new documents

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Assange meets U.S. congressman, vows to prove Russia did not leak him documents

Julian Assange told a U.S. congressman on Tuesday he can prove the leaked Democratic Party documents he published during last year’s election did not come from Russia and promised additional helpful information about the leaks in the near future.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a California Republican who is friendly to Russia and chairs an important House subcommittee on Eurasia policy, became the first American congressman to meet with Assange during a three-hour private gathering at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder has been holed up for years,

Rohrabacher recounted his conversation with Assange to The Hill.

“Our three-hour meeting covered a wide array of issues, including the WikiLeaks exposure of the DNC emails during last year's presidential election,” Rohrabacher said, “Julian emphatically stated that the Russians were not involved in the hacking or disclosure of those emails.
Pressed for more detail on the source of the documents, Rohrabacher said he had information to share privately with President Donald Trump.

“Julian also indicated that he is open to further discussions regarding specific information about the DNC email incident that is currently unknown to the public,” he added.

U.S. intelligence has insisted it has solid proof — which it has not made public — that Russia was behind last year’s election hacks that embarrassed Democrats, including unflattering revelations about nominee Hillary Clinton and her campaign chairman John Podesta.

Assange has suggested in the past that Russia wasn’t the source of his leaked information. Tuesday marked the first time he has engaged with a U.S. lawmaker.

Assange meets U.S. congressman, vows to prove Russia did not leak him documents

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
So Assange uses information WikiLeaks vows to keep confined as a tool for personal gain.

Dude hurt his platform so much lately..

If he has something to disclose for a bigger purpose he believes in, just do it.
To make personal deals with it, makes it seems quite shady.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
So Assange uses information WikiLeaks vows to keep confined as a tool for personal gain.

If he has something to disclose for a bigger purpose he believes in, just do it.
If you were stuck in one room the rest of your life your thought process might be a little different after a few years of that

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I've come to question his claims because of the other interests.
I like data and let us evaluate. Now I worry he will release partial or skewed info to get asylum.

With that said, I'm highly interested in seeing what happens here.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
The involvement of Rohrabacher as the middleman here makes me extremely sceptical.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
But proof of Russia not meddling with US elections will harm US foreign policy. What if Syria dries up? What if Iran decided to act nice? What if N. Korea turns into nothing but another round of talks? We need to have a valid threat of war to keep us happy. We want to think Russia is the bad guy, it fits the narrative.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
But proof of Russia not meddling with US elections will harm US foreign policy. What if Syria dries up? What if Iran decided to act nice? What if N. Korea turns into nothing but another round of talks? We need to have a valid threat of war to keep us happy. We want to think Russia is the bad guy, it fits the narrative.
Which is funny because I remember Obama saying to Romney the 1980s called they want their war back. I guess Russia is only a threat when going against the grain.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Ed Butowsky has made some interesting claims lately
Not sure if I should say more because there's no way to prove it

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
In a private meeting with Republican colleagues last year, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy commented that then-presidential candidate Donald Trump and California congressional colleague Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Huntington Beach) were being paid by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy said in the recording of a June 15 exchange obtained and published by the Washington Post. At that point, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) cut off the conversation and swore those present to secrecy.

The Post also provided a full transcript of the tape.

McCarthy's and Ryan's offices quickly pushed back on the story, stressing that the premise of the tape was misconstrued in reporters' questions, and that McCarthy was joking.

The transcript of the tape repeatedly notes laughter, and that McCarthy was laughing.

Rohrabacher's long-standing friendliness toward Russia has been a source of confusion in Washington for years.

Rohrabacher's spokesman Ken Grubbs told the Post that the congressman has been a consistent advocate of “working closer with the Russians to combat radical Islamism. The congressman doesn’t need to be paid to come to such a necessary conclusion.”

One of Rohrabacher's 2018 challengers, Harley Rouda, quickly said that the FBI should investigate what ties the congressman has to Russia. Rouda's campaign said he would be sending a letter to the Los Angeles field office of the FBI on Thursday as a concerned citizen.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy in 2016: 'There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump'

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

Exactly. I remember when he was a "neutral party".... lol. R.I.P. those days.
Now he has an agenda - otherwise he would have released this:

http://gizmodo.com/assange-turned-down-dirt-on-russia-strongly-suggesting-1797954045

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

The Ecuadorian embassy probably just served him an eviction notice.