At a crossroads, put my money where my mouth is?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
As some of you know I am an aspiring voice over artist.

I have never had much luck with it, mostly because I have no clue what I am doing. I have done some voice over drops here and there for people that asked me to do so, like an internet radio station out of the U.K. and a voice over for a youtube video selling joint rollers. But those were all stuff that I recorded at home with my computer, I have never done it in a studio with an actual company or anything like that. I dont have a demo tape and would not even be sure how to set one up. Basically i dont know how voice overs are done on a professional level.

By chance one day a few months ago I got a random follow on twitter from a guy who is a voice over coach in California. I didnt think much of it since I am in the Detroit area and he is on the other side of the country. A few weeks ago on a whim I sent him a message asking if he had any words of advice for someone trying to get into the field.

After a few messages back and forth he offered to talk with me on Skype about it. He said he normally charged for this kind of thing but was willing to talk to me for free since I was just starting out. Since then I have had 2 Skype conversations with him, one about an hour long and one about an hour and a half long. This gentleman is impressive. He is a coach and mentor to well over 200 people right now as well as doing voice over work, directing commercials and other ventures. He even has a Sundance film festival award for a movie he did back in the 90s.

Unfortunately it has reached the point where he has to start charging me money. I totally understand that this is how he makes a living and did not expect free help forever. The problem is he is expensive! Basically he charges $200 an hour. The way he sets it up is that I would have to sign up for 8 sessions. The sessions can be an hour at $180, a half hour at $100 or even 15 minutes at $65. To make it more affordable I can have the sessions spread out as little or as much as I like. If I was rich I could do 2 one hour sessions a week and end up spending a bit more than $1400 a month or spend as little as $65 a month for one 15 minute session a month.

While I would like to do an hour a week and knock out the 8 sessions in two months I can not come close to affording that. Right now I am considering doing a half hour session every two weeks over the course of four months, spending $800.

Am I crazy? At the age of 42 I really have no business looking into another career.... but... I have always been told I have a great voice and that I should be doing radio.... and voice overs are something that, at least at first, I can do while keeping my current job. The guy offering to mentor me made no guarantees. He said that it could be years before I am ready to do professional voice overs. He did say that I have an interesting voice but that my lack of any theater or other acting experience could hold me back. He said honestly he wont know until he works with me some more.

At this point I think I would rather try and fail than spend the rest of my life wondering if I could have done it.

So what do you guys think?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Ehhh that sounds pricey, man, especially with no real guarantee. Does he have referrals? Does he have examples of students who are now working in the industry? Have you "shopped around" to see if there are better deals out there?

Have you ever tried contacting local radio and production companies and volunteering your talents? I'm sure there's a lot you could learn there.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I guess I don't understand exactly what value you would be getting for your $200/hour that you could not get by looking for opportunities to be an announcer for events or trying to volunteer your services like DannyNL suggested above. What does this guy do exactly to mentor your efforts to do voice over work?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Only you know the answer to this Passive Jay @Passive Jay. It's your dream and your money. So tough for any of us to give you real advice on how to pursue it. I will say this however...sometimes you gotta take risks in life. Most successful people are successful because they're risk takers...willing to go broke chasing their dream, and making deals that others shy away from.

Are there other ways that you think that you can catch a break in this industry? What about hosting a podcast? We're planning to launch ours soon. What about hosting it, in order to get your voice heard and promote your talents?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I don't know anything about the industry or what exactly he would be teaching you, so I can't really offer advice in that aspect. But I will say that you have but one life. Live it as you wish. If this is something you want to get into, go for it.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Only you know the answer to this Passive Jay @Passive Jay. It's your dream and your money. So tough for any of us to give you real advice on how to pursue it. I will say this however...sometimes you gotta take risks in life. Most successful people are successful because they're risk takers...willing to go broke chasing their dream, and making deals that others shy away from.

Are there other ways that you think that you can catch a break in this industry? What about hosting a podcast? We're planning to launch ours soon. What about hosting it, in order to get your voice heard and promote your talents?
I have actually been podcasting since 2007, recently took a break from it because I was frustrated by the lack of success. I still enjoy podcasting, i just need reboot with a different show I suspect. I would be more than happy to help out on the podcast here.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have actually been podcasting since 2007, recently took a break from it because I was frustrated by the lack of success. I still enjoy podcasting, i just need reboot with a different show I suspect. I would be more than happy to help out on the podcast here.
Maybe it can become a win/win. You and IschKabibble @IschKabibble working together on the project. It will give us some professionalism. And maybe give you some added exposure in the process.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Maybe it can become a win/win. You and IschKabibble @IschKabibble working together on the project. It will give us some professionalism. And maybe give you some added exposure in the process.
I would be up for that. Even if the timing does not work out for me to be on the actual podcast I would be willing to record intros to the show and various segments.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Stuffing your mouth with money would seem to have an adverse effect on your VO work, so I vote you do not put your money where your mouth is.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors, good sir!

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
I'd say definitely look around, why not apply for some voice over work anyway and see what happens? That guy is pricey, but from what you said he does sound helpful. It's up to you, but I'd be careful jumping in on this on a whim without looking around and seeing some more, you never know, with a bit of luck you might end up where you want to be without any more help..its not like he'll give you a degree or anything so the question is how much do you feel you can learn from this guy?