Sci/Tech Attn Americanos

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Do any of you'all ;) get Voice Of America in your local cable tv packages? I have long been interested in comparing and contrasting the service with domestic CNN programming but, sadly, I do not receive VOA up here in Canada. The US congress voted to allow VOA programming to be broadcast domestically a few years ago but I have yet to encounter anyone who actually has local access to it.

Interestingly, we receive the domestic US fluff version of CNN up here, not the vastly superior CNN international service as one might assume. Why this would be is anyone's guess.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with your VOA/CNN comparisons if you have them.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The bill that green lit VOA for the American airwaves was kind of groundbreaking in that it legalized the broadcast of US government propaganda to domestic American audiences for the first time. Not like we didn't have a great deal of this to begin with (cough *CNN) but this bill really dispensed with all pretense to the contrary. The bill passed quietly at the time at but it certainly raised an eyebrow over here with yours truly.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I used to get it when I was not in America. Surprised its still around.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Since WW2 at least, VOA has been the broadcast propaganda arm of the US government deployed in places like Soviet bloc Eastern Europe, Red China etc. That is until congress quietly passed a bill enabling VOA to be broadcast domestically. At around the same time, CNN began to resemble a propaganda organ for the US intelligence agencies (my impression hehe;)) I guess I'm anxious to connect with anyone that may have access to both services to get their impressions of the two, how they may contrast and compare. But it seems most cable services don't carry VOA in the US yet. So far as I can tell anyway.

U.S. Repeals Propaganda Ban, Spreads Government-Made News to Americans

Americans Finally Have Access to American Propaganda

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Have you consumed VOA recently enough to venture a comparison with recent CNN programme?
Not recently (it's been over a decade and a half). But I will say this; when I consumed it, there wasn't any political slant or agenda - or at least none that was perceived. It was just straight news - no slant (like its supposed be be, I'd say).

There is/was also a U.K. counterpart & for the life of me I can't remember the name.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If anyone feels like searching their cable menus to see if VOA is buried in there somewhere I'd be obliged.

For instance here in Vancouver BC RT is buried way down the dial on channel 505 but is available in most basic packages.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Not recently (it's been over a decade and a half). But I will say this; when I consumed it, there wasn't any political slant or agenda - or at least none that was perceived. It was just straight news - no slant (like its supposed be be, I'd say).

There is/was also a U.K. counterpart & for the life of me I can't remember the name.
Yes the British have been at this for at least as long as the US has.

I can't recall the name of it either :)

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Actually having watched a little bit of VOA online just now it seems quite good, similar to other state broadcasters like BBC and CBC, less preachy than them actually. My CNN comparison turns out to be way off base.

CNN would possibly be more like Radio Free Europe but again, how to compare?