Aurora Cannabis and UFC Join Forces to Advance CBD Research

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
EDMONTON , May 21, 2019 /CNW/ - Aurora Cannabis Inc. ("Aurora" or the "Company") (ACB) (ACB), the Canadian company defining the future of cannabis worldwide, and UFC ® , the world's premier mixed martial arts organization, are excited to announce an exclusive, multi-year, multi-million dollar, global partnership that is expected to significantly advance further clinical research on the relationship between 100% hemp derived Cannabidiol (CBD) products and athlete wellness and recovery, with a view to accelerating CBD product development and education.

UFC boasts more than 300 million fans worldwide, with programming that is broadcast to over 170 countries and territories, in 40 different languages, to over one billion TV households. The UFC Performance Institute, the world's first mixed martial arts multi-disciplinary research, innovation, and training center, opened in Las Vegas in 2017 has served more than 400 athletes over the past two years. The facility is a global leader in athletic performance research and provides support and educational services to athletes on health, well-being, nutrition, and injury prevention.

The research will be conducted at the UFC's Performance Institute in Las Vegas, Nevada , in collaboration with UFC's sports performance team, as well as with athletes who choose to participate in the studies. Clinical studies will focus on pain management, inflammation, injury/exercise recovery, and mental well-being. Aurora's research will be led by Dr. Jason Dyck , Professor at the University of Alberta and a Canada Research Chair in Molecular Medicine. He also serves as an indendent director on the board of Aurora Cannabis, where he provides valuable oversight for the Company's scientific efforts.

Aurora Cannabis and UFC® Join Forces to Advance CBD Research, Education, and Product Development

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
gonna need a tl,dr version.

basically everyone in the UFC gonna get real high? I need to know anything else about this deal?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i am not a fan of aurora cannabis or the massive marijuana corporations that produce legal weed. its overpriced and the quality is not consistent. i do hope that they can make some changes for the better and help in actual medical research though. there is too much bullshit on both sides in the MMJ community .some claim it does nothing.some claim it cures everything under the sun. lets just find out honestly what it does and doesnt do for once.the ufc is a prime target base of people who take damage to the head on a regular basis. if CBD can help them live a better life or not get all chuck liddell like in their later years then that is a great thing.if they wanted a target demographic to market CBD products to then the ufc fans are a great place to start

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
What's the angle here?

UFC trying to promote weed to its fighters to help with recovery to help them do (less) PEDs and other illicit drugs?

Purely a financial arrangement to use its slaves as guinea pigs for profit.

A bit of both?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Hey fuckface La Paix @BirdWatcher. How about formatting this with a pic at the top & the hyperlinks removed, so I can promote it to the front page?

Mkay. Thanks.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It's been recently brought to my attention that CBD is kind of in the same realm as acupuncture, cupping, essential oils, and other pseudo medicines with relatively little objective peer reviewed study as to its efficacy. Anyone have any contrary studies from reliable news sources?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'll preface this by saying that I have not done much research our scoured the internet for references, but:

relatively little objective peer reviewed study as to its efficacy
As far as I know, this is the reality. There are a wide variety of conditions that CBD is claimed to help, but the only one I've seen was survey based (i.e. no actual proof or demonstration of efficacy). They basically ask a bunch of people what their condition or ailment is, and if CBD works for them.

Here it is:
A Cross-Sectional Study of Cannabidiol Users

And this snip from the above sums it up for me....more research needs to occur before any real statements can be made.

"These data provide a compelling rationale for further research to better understand the therapeutic potential of CBD".

If taking CBD helps people and they feel better, I'm all for them using it (and I've dabbled with it myself). But it doesn't seem that there is much ,if any, peer-reviewed research to support any quantitative statements or claims.

Perhaps it is just too early in the game to expect much peer-reviewed literature, but I'm sure there will be a lot of upcoming research on CBD and I'd expect the publications to follow. It will be interesting to see what the results are. Also happy to read any references if any of you have links.

Seizures in children is one area where CBD has apparently/allegedly worked. Other than anecdotal data from reported personal experiences, I can't think of any other symptoms/syndromes where CBD has been demonstrated to help. Are there any others I'm missing or forgetting?

Last edited:

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I have seen CBD used in children with seizures, but as mentioned above- primarily anecdotal evidence. CBD and other “supplement/alternative medicine” companies are generally very reluctant to conduct clinical trials because 1) they are expensive 2) they don’t have to 3) they might show their claims to be bunk 4) people are already using it for all sorts of “medical” reasons 5) If they show a clear benefit there is a risk that it will be classified as a medication and come under FDA supervision.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
So Nick Diaz loses his fukn career for smokin’ blunts and now the UFC is promoting the shit?

I didn’t read the article so I could be totally off.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
It's been recently brought to my attention that CBD is kind of in the same realm as acupuncture, cupping, essential oils, and other pseudo medicines with relatively little objective peer reviewed study as to its efficacy. Anyone have any contrary studies from reliable news sources?
The schedule 1 status of cannabis here in the US mostly disallows any rigorous experiments, so the data in most cross sectional studies is based on mostly using notoriously unreliable self reports. CBD isn't quite snake oil, but it definitely doesn't have the same broad based applicability THC does. I base this on years of self experimentation.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Nick was suspended for carboxy-thc

thats not the same as CBD which is what the PI will be researching.

THC gets you high.

CBD does not
You can obviously tell that I don’t smoke weed or rub it’s oils in my hair because I’m not a total fukn loser.

Good to know.