Lifestyle b00ts’ Cajun / Creole food thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Another childhood favorite of mine that I made for the Saints game last night... smothered hamburger steak.

*THE HAMBURGERS*
2 lbs of Ground Beef
1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper
1/2 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup of Italian Breadcrumbs
1 Egg

*THE GRAVY*
1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
1 Onion (Sliced)
1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup of All Purpose Flour
1 (14.5 oz) Can of Beef Broth
1 Cup of Water
1 Teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning

Warm up your pan or pot

Slice the onion up like so...

In a bowl mix together the 2 pounds of ground beef, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, and egg(I actually forgot the egg) and make six hamburger patties.

Add the vegetables oil to the pot/pan.

Drop in three hamburger patties, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

When done, place patties off to the side.

Add the sliced onion to the pan and begin moving the onion around to get up any drippings left from the burgers.

After a few minutes, move the onions to one side of the pan, and drop in the butter on the opposite side and let melt. Now add in the flour. Sauté the butter, flour, and onions together for about 20 min for a little roux.

After 20 min, add a small amount of beef broth to the pan and blend.
Once you see a creamy mixture, then add the rest of the beef broth.

Next add the water, Cajun Seasoning, and garlic powder.
Blend ingredients, bring to a slight boil, cover, and then lower to simmer for 30 min.

After 30 min, add the patties back to the pan. Scoop some of the onion gravy over the top of the patties, raise the heat to a slight boil, cover, lower to simmer, and let cook for another 30-40 min.

Cook up some Mash Potatoes, and enjoy!

Also, we’re having a good football year so far...

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Coming up tonight... shrimp stew. This version I got from my cousin, so not all mine but still a family recipe. Stay tuned until after the Thursday Night Football game

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Aight... shrimp stew time. Allot a solid evening for this because it takes a bit.

First thing’s first... you need to make a homemade stock using 6 cups of water, the ends of 2 celery stalks, the white ends of a bundle of green onions, the “nipple” ends of 2 onions(cut off the hard tips), the tails of at least 2lbs of fresh shrimp, 1 tbs Cajun seasoning, 1/2 tbs salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp black pepper. Mix into a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer, cover, and let sit for about 1 hour.

Now, you can take the vegetables previously mentioned PLUS one bell pepper and 4 cloves of garlic and chop that shit up and set aside.

After that and while waiting on the stock, go ahead and season up your shrimp with about 1tbs Cajun seasoning.

With about 40 minutes left, you can begin your roux. We’re going for a dark roux here, so be mindful when it gets dark that you can burn it, so turn the heat down towards the end. You want around a Hershey chocolate color.

So get 1 cup of all purpose flour and 2/3 cup vegetable oil in a hot pot and get to mixing...
My overhead light messes with what the color really looks like, but just keep that Hershey color in mind and watch your heat...

Around this time, your stock should be ready to drain. Strain it over a bowl and set aside. Be sure to push down on the vegetables and shrimp peels to get as much as you can out.

You can now add the chopped veggies to the roux and sauté that up for about 20 minutes or so.

Once they’re good a soft, slowly add in your stock mixture. Mix it around good and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and let simmer for about 2 hours. Every now and then give it a little stir.

With about 20-30 minutes left, you can add in your seasoned shrimp. Bring the temp back up to a light boil and then back to a simmer. Cover and let sit the remaining time. If you want it thicker, leave the cover off and allow some evaporation. Give a quick taste test because you may need to add in some salt due to the veggies and shrimp peels absorbing some of that seasoning when making the stock.

Cook some rice and serve.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Bumping this. Made my simple gumbo last Sunday for the Super Bowl but forgot to get pictures because I was drinking. Did make a condensed version on TikTok though :|

Will post them soon.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Another childhood favorite of mine that I made for the Saints game last night... smothered hamburger steak.

*THE HAMBURGERS*
2 lbs of Ground Beef
1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Pepper
1/2 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup of Italian Breadcrumbs
1 Egg

*THE GRAVY*
1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
1 Onion (Sliced)
1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup of All Purpose Flour
1 (14.5 oz) Can of Beef Broth
1 Cup of Water
1 Teaspoon of Cajun Seasoning

Warm up your pan or pot

Slice the onion up like so...

In a bowl mix together the 2 pounds of ground beef, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, and egg(I actually forgot the egg) and make six hamburger patties.

Add the vegetables oil to the pot/pan.

Drop in three hamburger patties, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

When done, place patties off to the side.

Add the sliced onion to the pan and begin moving the onion around to get up any drippings left from the burgers.

After a few minutes, move the onions to one side of the pan, and drop in the butter on the opposite side and let melt. Now add in the flour. Sauté the butter, flour, and onions together for about 20 min for a little roux.

After 20 min, add a small amount of beef broth to the pan and blend.
Once you see a creamy mixture, then add the rest of the beef broth.

Next add the water, Cajun Seasoning, and garlic powder.
Blend ingredients, bring to a slight boil, cover, and then lower to simmer for 30 min.

After 30 min, add the patties back to the pan. Scoop some of the onion gravy over the top of the patties, raise the heat to a slight boil, cover, lower to simmer, and let cook for another 30-40 min.

Cook up some Mash Potatoes, and enjoy!

Also, we’re having a good football year so far...

Cool Pot Bro

what do they call that thing? a cauldron?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
*watched*
Love me some cajun food.
Plus I'm part of West Coast Who Dat nation, so I need recipes for games.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No matter the shape or size, they're just called "black pots" in Louisiana lol
thanks

I am gonna follow a couple of your recipes

I still think I may prefer the tomato in the gumbo but will try the non tomato version

Last edited:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
They Creoles make it like that, so think New Orleans area.
Nice
That Black Pot is legit, just re read and looked all the pics in this thread.

custom stand? would love to see a shot of the stand all by itself some day down the line. Love that thing

Ben328

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Great recipes, I just love Cajun food. By the way anyone can link me a good homemade Cajun seasoning recipe? Till now I've been buying them from this buying guide But I am looking to create my own Cajun seasoning.. Thanks in advance!!!