General b00ts’ drunk gumbo

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Since the cool winter air has began its descent upon the humid Louisiana wetlands, it’s time to begin our annual tradition of making gumbo for no reason at all... Football game? Gumbo. Watching a movie? Gumbo. Kid wiped his own ass for the first time? Gumbo.

Here I will give the most bare bones recipe that I can give for a chicken and sausage gumbo. This is the one I make when I plan on drinking a lot because it takes minimal effort.

This should be made in a roughly 4-5 gallon pot. I use a 5 gallon cast iron pot on a propane burner.

You’ll need: Flour, your choice of oil ( l personally use peanut), around 3lbs of sausage (I use Manda mild or green onion), a full rotisserie chicken, a 16oz container of Guidry’s Creole from Wal-Mart or local grocer (remember this is my drunk gumbo, so minimal effort), two 32oz containers of chicken stock (I use Swanson), and a few bay leaves.

1. Shred off chicken from rotisserie and set aside

2. Cut up sausage and fry in a pan. Remove fried sausage. With the pan still hot, pour some of the chicken stock in to deglaze. Scrape up with wooden spoon and set the mixture and sausage aside.

3. Use 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour to make roux. Over high heat, mix and stir constantly until it looks like chocolate.

4. Once roux is right, throw in Guidry’s and stir around in that high heat for a bit.

5. Now you can add in the sausage and the deglazed mixture and stir around for a bit.

6. Add in your chicken, the rest of the chicken stock, and 4 cups of water.

7. Seasoning is up to you, but I go about a tablespoon of creole seasoning (I use Tony’s), and a teaspoon of salt and garlic powder. Also, throw in those bay leaves.

8. Now, lower your heat to low and let simmer for about 2 hours... stirring every 15-20 minutes.

9. At two hours, throw in some ice cold water and serve that shit over rice.

Comme ça

Autre bière

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016

Now we're talkin......

Great Breakdown - you should do a step by step with pictures, or post a quick video "How-To" on Youtube then post here.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Since the cool winter air has began its descent upon the humid Louisiana wetlands, it’s time to begin our annual tradition of making gumbo for no reason at all... Football game? Gumbo. Watching a movie? Gumbo. Kid wiped his own ass for the first time? Gumbo.

Here I will give the most bare bones recipe that I can give for a chicken and sausage gumbo. This is the one I make when I plan on drinking a lot because it takes minimal effort.

This should be made in a roughly 4-5 gallon pot. I use a 5 gallon cast iron pot on a propane burner.

You’ll need: Flour, your choice of oil ( l personally use peanut), around 3lbs of sausage (I use Manda mild or green onion), a full rotisserie chicken, a 16oz container of Guidry’s Creole from Wal-Mart or local grocer (remember this is my drunk gumbo, so minimal effort), two 32oz containers of chicken stock (I use Swanson), and a few bay leaves.

1. Shred off chicken from rotisserie and set aside

2. Cut up sausage and fry in a pan. Remove fried sausage. With the pan still hot, pour some of the chicken stock in to deglaze. Scrape up with wooden spoon and set the mixture and sausage aside.

3. Use 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour to make roux. Over high heat, mix and stir constantly until it looks like chocolate.

4. Once roux is right, throw in Guidry’s and stir around in that high heat for a bit.

5. Now you can add in the sausage and the deglazed mixture and stir around for a bit.

6. Add in your chicken, the rest of the chicken stock, and 4 cups of water.

7. Seasoning is up to you, but I go about a tablespoon of creole seasoning (I use Tony’s), and a teaspoon of salt and garlic powder. Also, throw in those bay leaves.

8. Now, lower your heat to low and let simmer for about 2 hours... stirring every 15-20 minutes.

9. At two hours, throw in some ice cold water and serve that shit over rice.

Comme ça

Autre bière
Can you tell me how to make it in an instapot?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Yo
Can you tell me how to make it in an instapot?
I’ve never used one, but my girlfriend makes it in a slow cooker. She uses pre-made roux and roughly follows the same steps afterwards and lets it slow cook for a few hours.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Note, though, that her rendition doesn’t have near the flavor and she no longer makes it bc I got drunk and informed her of this...

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I posted this in the NFL thread when Saints and the Eagles went at it..

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Note, though, that her rendition doesn’t have near the flavor and she no longer makes it bc I got drunk and informed her of this...
roux is the foundation yo

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
roux is the foundation yo
Yes, and my dad taught me that adding that deglazed sausage mixture to the roux and letting it cook for a bit gave the flavor more pop. I can’t use those pre-made rouxs because the taste is a little off to me.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
The thing with gumbo is, there are various ways to make it. Sometimes I do an okra gumbo, sometimes a seafood, sometimes just random proteins thrown in there... but the way I described the roux and deglazing the sausage pan is always my base. Sometimes I’ll fry up bacon instead and use that deglazed mixture and save the bacon for breakfast. Really just depends on what I’m hungry for.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I forgot to add cayenne if you want some spice. I find a pinch to be the perfect balance.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Wait just a gawtdamn minute....

This ain't about "cool mountain air" making it's way down to the bayou.

This ain't about sledding into a snowbank headfirst and needing some first aid jambalaya.

This ain't about watching Undercover Blues on an empty stomach.

This is about ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
The thing with gumbo is, there are various ways to make it. Sometimes I do an okra gumbo, sometimes a seafood, sometimes just random proteins thrown in there... but the way I described the roux and deglazing the sausage pan is always my base. Sometimes I’ll fry up bacon instead and use that deglazed mixture and save the bacon for breakfast. Really just depends on what I’m hungry for.
I Love Cajun Food!

Any different preperation if using Shrimp and Sausage?

Mentioned to the wife the other day I may want to try my Paw at making
a Pot of Gumbo for the Family.

What better place to start then advice from my own Swamp Man b00ts @b00ts

Thanks in advance.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I Love Cajun Food!

Any different preperation if using Shrimp and Sausage?

Mentioned to the wife the other day I may want to try my Paw at making
a Pot of Gumbo for the Family.

What better place to start then advice from my own Swamp Man b00ts @b00ts

Thanks in advance.

Shrimp would be the same, though I add a little gumbo filé in with my seafood gumbos. I didn’t mention that with the rotisserie chicken, you don’t have to immediately add it due to it all ready being cooked. I add it immediately bc it’ll soak up more flavor and the shreds break apart giving the gumbo a little chunk to it. Some people like big pieces of chicken, however. You can add it the last 30 minutes or so if going the rotisserie way if you like though. With seafood, I bring the gumbo to a good boil after the 4 cups of water and let it boil for a few minutes before dropping the temp for the simmer.

Once you make a few, you’ll learn how you like it and ways to tweak it up a bit.

Last edited: