Barão released - GOAT Bi-Polar career?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018

The UFC has released Renan Barão. Has there ever been a career with higher highs combined with lower lows?

Some stats:
- came into the UFC 26-1
- went 7-0 upon his arrival with some legit wins over high level competition like Jorgensen, Wineland, and Faber twoxw. (9-0 under Zuffa if you consider his WEC run)
- Dana dubbed him top P4P in the game at his height
- Lost his soul to TJ and went 2-8 after that

Could their be a more schizophrenic UFC career???

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Possibly, the most surprising fall from grace in UFC history. Pretty sure USADA was his biggest opponent.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Only rival is BJ Penn imo
That is an interesting comparison. My initial reaction was that BJ just held on too long. He made such a splash at such a young age that it feels like he had a really full career before it went south, then couldn't let go. After looking it up though, he was only around 31 when he lost to Frankie the first time (which what the beginning of the end). While that is definitely younger than I would have guessed, for context Barao was 27 when TJ pushed him down the shit slide. Those are usually some prime years (for both guys). What is really strange is that BJ became more slow and limited and Barao seemed to have lost any skill he once had. Odd fall from grace for both.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That is an interesting comparison. My initial reaction was that BJ just held on too long. He made such a splash at such a young age that it feels like he had a really full career before it went south, then couldn't let go. After looking it up though, he was only around 31 when he lost to Frankie the first time (which what the beginning of the end). While that is definitely younger than I would have guessed, for context Barao was 27 when TJ pushed him down the shit slide. Those are usually some prime years (for both guys). What is really strange is that BJ became more slow and limited and Barao seemed to have lost any skill he once had. Odd fall from grace for both.
A very odd example of how one can fall from the top of the mountain. Bisping retired at the right time. Technically he stayed two long with one eye.

Arlovski and overeem won't be holding the belt but they continue to fight withVarying measure of success.

Then you have odd cases where people stopped too soon. Pablo garza, Martin kampmann genki sudo, John Hathaway. That polak from team rough house who's name I forgot.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think USADA is the obvious culprit, but Barao also seemed like a guy who was easier to figure out than it seemed. He was a sort of stiff fighter with his boxing, always keeping his shoulders squared, and I wondered how long it would be before someone just figured that out. His kickboxing was decent, but he overcommitted plenty. On the ground, he was better overall, but didn't have the wrestling to get it there in several fights, especially in later rounds when his cardio was a question mark.

Jack Slack did this solid article on how opponents figured out Barao and it led to his skid.

Picking Up the Pieces: One Last Chance for Renan Barao | FIGHTLAND

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm not disputing the USADA factor at all but too many are also forgetting what went down in those two TJ fights. They were horrific beatings that could (and did) ruin the rest of a fighter's career.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Then you have odd cases where people stopped too soon. Pablo garza, Martin kampmann genki sudo, John Hathaway. That polak from team rough house who's name I forgot.
Don't forget the ninja of love, still one of my favourite KOs ever in the UFC, in his debut as well.

Bonus slam

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
I just miss those google translated interviews in Portuguese calling him the cockweight champion :(