Barber completely tore ACL during Modafferi fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC women’s flyweight prospect Maycee Barber was seen having trouble with her left knee mid-fight at UFC 246 against Roxanne Modafferi. In an odd turn of events, a ringside physician even went in the cage to examine her knee and was able to conclude on the spot that Barber suffered a “partial ACL tear.”

As it turns out, the ‘Future’ did injure her knee, but the diagnosis was more severe. As her father Bucky confirmed with ESPN, the 21-year-old fighter actually suffered a complete ACL tear that would require surgery and rehab.

“We think she injured it in the first 10 seconds,” he said. “She stepped on Roxanne’s foot as she backed up and felt a pop. You can…

Maycee Barber completely tore ACL during Roxanne Modafferi fight at UFC 246

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Crazy that she did that much damage to it by basically stepping back to avoid a punch. Absolute freak injury.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i dont believe it. the in ring doctor gave her an in ring MRI and said it was only a partial tear

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I am guessing that everyone has different experiences with a torn ACL. My ACL ripped in half and my MCL was torn while rolling after practice one day. Felt a pop three times. I still rolled another two rounds because I wasnt sure what it was. Its a weird injury because it didnt really hurt until the next day and then a whole lot after surgery. I went to work for a month and worked with no issues until surgery.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I am guessing that everyone has different experiences with a torn ACL. My ACL ripped in half and my MCL was torn while rolling after practice one day. Felt a pop three times. I still rolled another two rounds because I wasnt sure what it was. Its a weird injury because it didnt really hurt until the next day and then a whole lot after surgery. I went to work for a month and worked with no issues until surgery.
Interesting
John Elway played his whole career without ACL, kind of an interesting example.

Today, surgical procedures often can repair torn ligaments. But when John hurt his knee [in high school], there was little doctors could do. In 1978, a torn ACL was a career-ending injury for most athletes. But John wasn't like most athletes. For some reason, even without his ACL, his knee remained stable. Although he couldn't play football for the remainder of the season, one month after the operation, John's doctor examined the knee and, stunned, pronounced John fit enough to begin baseball practice. He even gave John the okay to resume his football career in college the following fall. Even without the ACL, John's knee was stronger than most.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
lol says they got that blue belt doing online classes.
back then, there was a brown belt from the other site who drove all night from PHX to CO and demanded to roll with them to expose them.

their dad was like, nah weirdo - turn that Hyundai on around. o_O

i met the guy and rolled with him and some of his friends at MMA Lab in Glendale. Great gym, great people...but definitely not someone I'd let roll with my 17 yo daughter. Good Times.

FWIW - you can get really good at BJJ through the Gracie University program, but you only get out of it what you put in to it.

Last edited:

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
back then, there was a brown belt from the other site who drove all night from PHX to CO and demanded to roll with them to expose them.

their dad was like, nah weirdo - turn that Hyundai on around. o_O

i met the guy and rolled with him and some of his friends at MMA Lab in Glendale. Great gym, great people...but I definitely not someone I'd let roll with my 17 yo daughter. Good Times.

FWIW - you can get really good at BJJ through the Gracie University program, but you only get out of it what you put in to it.
This was the thread for that guy right? If I remember correctly, the guy showed up after the girls, dad, and/or coach put out a cocky response and challenge...

I'm at Gracie Ft Collins waiting for them to open

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
This was the thread for that guy right? If I remember correctly, the guy showed up after the girls, dad, and/or coach put out a cocky response and challenge...

I'm at Gracie Ft Collins waiting for them to open
that's the one. LoL

EDIT - but want to reiterate that I'm not a fan of their dad, in my brief interactions.
he got that school when the former instructor got charged with banging a student, and the student-banger gave them Black Belts in his fake martial art. Kenpo-Do-Jim or whatever. Details are fuzzy, and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

they never wore their Kenpo-Do-Jim 'black belts' for BJJ class and never marketed themselves as black belts. But to Rener's credit, he came down with a quickness and said if you wear a GJJ gi you wear your GJJ belt and nothing else.

Or you lose your CTC status.

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
FWIW - there was also a thread where he shit-talked my BJJ after I went up there and rolled.

I was just rolling and training, and he tried to make it out like I had challenge matches with other students and was barely a white belt.

MountainMedic

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting
John Elway played his whole career without ACL, kind of an interesting example.

Today, surgical procedures often can repair torn ligaments. But when John hurt his knee [in high school], there was little doctors could do. In 1978, a torn ACL was a career-ending injury for most athletes. But John wasn't like most athletes. For some reason, even without his ACL, his knee remained stable. Although he couldn't play football for the remainder of the season, one month after the operation, John's doctor examined the knee and, stunned, pronounced John fit enough to begin baseball practice. He even gave John the okay to resume his football career in college the following fall. Even without the ACL, John's knee was stronger than most.
I don't have an acl on the left. Trained into my 40s, ski, bike.....

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't have an acl on the left. Trained into my 40s, ski, bike.....
it is interesting that you and others can do that
is there any difference you notice between that and your good knee?

Makes me wonder if I have one in my left knee...never been looked at and had an injury that just healed up...but my left does get sore sometimes

A tree bucked back and hyperextended my knee, and threw me off my feet...felt a burn and was gimpy for a month or so...maybe it went? I dunno