VID Bas Rutten-Woodley-Wonderboy II versus My Coaching Advice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Well folks, Woodley derailed the Wonderboy Hype-Train. Wonderboy learned a lot from his Matt Brown loss. Story is though,,, not enough. And it's not better adaptation to MMA that sunk the Stephen Thompson ship... it's kickboxing vs. traditional karate on his part.

Below is Bas Rutten's take on the Woodley-Wonderboy match. Both in scoring & who was the better. He came in for Woodley. Just like me. Interestingly enough... Bas pro-offered some advice for Woodley to finish Wonderboy in the rematch. Which right now... I see a Rua / Machida II result on the horizon.

Bas Rutten... no denying one of the all time great MMA fighters. Hails from a TMA background... eventually went Muay Thai on the striking. His personal odyssey is a must read for any one vested in the sport of MMA. Bas has a very good take on the grappling exchanges... which helps me as a striking-based competitor.

View: https://youtu.be/GpVqTuyZno0

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="Bas Rutten on Woodley vs Wonderboy Majority Draw UFC 205 - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As the interview moves on, Bas starts putting up commentary, advice to address how Woodley could have been more effective. I feel obligated, as a traditional karateka, to level the playing field for Stephen Thompson. Woodley has outside MMA expert, Bas Rutten in his corner. I'll take up the mantle of advisory karate authority for Thompson's corner. DAD, move over.... make some room.

BAS RUTTEN TACTIC NO. 1-LOW KICKS. On the striking end, Bas says the first way to take Thompson out of this striking game, is LOW KICKS. This is a conventional attack I've often heard MMA say why karate is vulnerable in MMA, karate doesn't work. Low kicks have been used against karate-based sport competitors in the past, with usual success. And Thompson, occasionally, has been susceptible to low kicks himself. So this seems to make sense. Bas knows his MMA sheet, we all agree.

Well, low kicks don't work against me @ all (in fact, I've defeated a Woodley-like competitor in sparring a time or two.). Why? Because traditional karate has an answer for everything, IN PRINCPLE. And wy doesn't any one seem to know the answers I do? Because simply, they are too busy criticizing the traditional karate they can't do (or even understand). Here again, I must step in (pun) and provide the traditional karate kumite exercise that lights the way. One-Step Sparring.

I choose 2 of the first basic 1-Step Sparring exercises from a California Tang So Doo dojang. Remember in my Debunking Karate Distancing Thread, I had the post of the pitiful performance of the Tang Soo Do stylist against the bigger & stronger Muay Thai stylist... how fitting for the UFC 205 drubbing Wonderboy took. I like Tang Soo Do compared to Shotokan karate as a style... Tang Soo Do is physically forceful and can be rigid, but not to the extent ,the degree, of Shotokan. Tang Soo Do proper is more relaxed in many aspects of the training.... I think that's better and fits me.

Here's Basic 1-Step Sparring #2, presumably taught to white belts, yellow belts.... the beginner grade students.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0deKdM0TNw

Now let me comment on the female instructor. I'm not so hot on her. Nonetheless... she knows her terminology and technique.... important. Traditional karate has a detailed DESIGN, and the devil can be in the details. Overall, I would rate the quality of this presentation as UGLY... mostly because of the male Master. She's ok... however... for some reason I'd like to see how she would do against Rousey in the comeback... fantasizing for a moment.

Gawd... I go on & on. So to the issue of why low kicks dont' work against traditional karate.... OOOHHH, MMA shouts out. There's no low kick in the exercise.... Proof of how traditional karate is unprepared for low kicks. And I say there you go again, MMA (GRappler_Traveling_Abroad) that ever famous 1-DIMENSIONAL MINDSET. One Step Sparring is about PRINCIPLES PEOPLE. PRINCIPLES, PRINCIPLES, PRINCIPLES. You must use your mind in traditional karate. If you want a coach to do your thinking for you... MMA has tons.

IN fact, this exercise presents a kumite application (key word = application) to a high punch, right? *I'll explain how 1-dimensional MMA striking training is right here. What the exercise presents by way of an attack is a application, a tactic, to employ against a HIGH ATTACK. See what it is and write it down... karate critics. So why is this relevant? Because that's exactly how Woodley flash KO'd Wonderboy and set him up for the finish. Key word = finish, right there.

Now to the low kick. On an even broader tactical level... the assailant is stepping ahead with a right straight punch. The Defender is standing in a stance vulnerable to a low kick... as all of MMA would point out. DAH, right? So the Assailant, on the broader level is stepping in with a STRIKE. KEY WORK = STRIKE. So what does the defender do? STEPS STRAIGHT BACK TO AVOID THE STRIKE. Notice it's a single step back... not running in a wide arc. She does some other stuff... so review - I hate spoon-feeding MMA. NOW, applying the PRINCIPLE.... WHAT DO WE KARATEKA DO WHEN THE AGGRESSOR MOVES AHEAD WITH A STRIKE. According to White-Yellow Belt grade kumite, WE STEP BACK, out of harm's way of the STRIKE.

Here's where the sport-martial artists hue & cry... well the exercise only shows a punch... which has a shorter travel than a kick. REALLY, ?...... WOW, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. I DID NOT KNOW.....!!!! The 1-steps with their punch teach bad habits of only knowing how to react against a hand strike. We MMA teach low kick.. .stupid karate doesn't know how...
WHERE'S TRAVELING_GRAPPLER... he told me so? HOW STUPID OF ME!!!. But ya know... karate is from the mind. The principle, one of the many tactical principles taught in 1-steps is when the Attacker comes in.... you move... in the case back,,, in this case 1 Step back. Gawd, that took a lot of thinking to get that / this far. MMA is exhausted by now. BAS, he's holding up I'm sure.

Now that we finally (hopefully) have accepted the tactical principle of taking a step back in response to an incoming strike.... here a punch... maybe, just maybe we can think about moving in the same manner, IN PRINCIPLE, against a low kick... like maybe we have to move a little farther back... or maybe the She TSD Instructor has stepped back enough. I, as a mature & thinking karate student can at some point THINK ABOUT THAT.... take a look to see how I can apply the PRINICPLES taught in the 2nd, Tang Soo Do1-Step Sparring exercise to other kinds, make & manner of strikes... since there's quite a few you know....................................................................................................................................................

BOTTOM LINE: Traditional karate sparring is not about standing stationary dead in front of your opponent and saying, "...OH... he's got that power right.. should I reverse punch-left cross him (UFC 205 round 4 peeps)," It's acting in response IN PRINCIPLE to overcome what Tyron Woodley does just like in the 1-Step Sparring exercise..... IN PRINCIPLE. It's a MENTAL DISCIPLINE EXERCISE... not a MMA-physical technique routine....... Karate tradition is SOPHISTICATED.

So Tyron... go ahead & throw a low kick at me. And what will I do? Immediately STEP BACK out of striking range. Immediately. Or I may do something else by TRADITIONAL KARATE PRINCIPLES. Like the tactical response in the Basic Tang Soo Do 1-Step #2. Worked wonders against Hendricks...

The "gLOBAL" (a nod to Grappler_Going_Global), overall reason that karate doesn't work in MMA is that MMA karate-kickboxers can't pass their white belt test, IN PRINICPLE.

MORE TO COME, BAS... bring it on.....

Edit: In my karate style curriculum... we don't ki-hap on the counter? WHY?

Last edited:

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Seems like karate stances are too static and grounded which can work against someone who is facing a lot of leg kicks. Bas, as I'm sure you know can pull off any of the TKD fancy kicks, but chooses instead to go with a Muay Thai-like stance. I do understand that TKD is not Tang Soo Do or Karate, but like Bruce said... throw out what is useless. Pardon me if I seem disrespectful... I shall stand underneath an icy cold shower like the great Cat Yamaguchi for 1 hr if you so choose. Just kidding, have a beautiful day, sir.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
T @Tuc Ouiner
Seems like karate stances are too static and grounded which can work against someone who is facing a lot of leg kicks.
I know what you are saying is the conventional view of karate stances by MMA, boxing. There's a number of karate responses... but I want to keep it strictly traditional training-wise right now. The purpose of the "grounded" stance, is as a foundation to project whole body power. It also serves a defensive purpose of not being taken down by being off-balance, or pushed or moved around easily by the Aggressor. Strong stances also serve for stability so the mind is unfettered in working, thinking....

MMA & boxers, Muay Thai even, confuse "grounded" with static. That is the purpose of the 1-Step Sparring presentation. The "Distance Management" MMA spin in traditional karate is & has always simply been decide if you should move, then move if you should. In the Basic 1-Step #2 for California Tang Soo Do Academy above.... the prescribed move, IN PRINCIPLE, is to move back, specifically step back into a new stance. Old stance to new stance. Starting stance, transition back, new stance. Start, step straight back into another stance. So, by definition, it's not "static'" it's transitory. Stance 1 changes (transitions) to Stance 2 by stepping straight backward and stopping after a single step.

Of course this takes greater mental effort than prancing all around so cleverly like Robbie Lawler did to confuse Tyron Woodley, N-O-T. Or, how about Alvarez clever footwork gambit versus McGregor? It's called mental discipline to do precisely the exact tactical blend of technique that the situation precisely calls for (demands).... So in reality... it's MMA, boxing, etc. that are static mentally in trying to pull off some random, quick-reacting gambit... as opposed to maintaining the high-powered mental discipline to do the 1-Step theory in practice, with it's myriad of intertwining & supporting karate principles. See my Debunking Karate Distancing thread for ad nauseum, yet partial analysis.

No short, "Punch a Hole in his Chest" answers in traditional karate. You're stuck with Gichin Funakoshi's 20 Shotokan karate precepts... at least.

Bas, as I'm sure you know can pull off any of the TKD fancy kicks, but chooses instead to go with a Muay Thai-like stance.
Bas was very talented under all the early-childhood growing up he had to do. Bas is also highly trained. It's quite common for competitors who want to fight or compete... to select, switch to Muay Thai. I think that is an optimum choice for most MMA competitors.. .though I don't want to disparage pro-am boxing in any way. Muay Thai is built for physicality & versatility, and the higher, more applicable stances to that style are well-designed for the tactical objectives Muay Thai wants to accomplish, including a certain effciency. Karate Tradition per se, is after a deeper set of skills, which given time & attention have the potential to eclipse Muay Thai on a sum-total martial scale. Pure physicality, Muay Thai is most likely always superior. It' a conscious choice... and I am not surprised Bas went the Muay Thai route....

I do understand that TKD is not Tang Soo Do or Karate, but like Bruce said... throw out what is useless. Pardon me if I seem disrespectful... I shall stand underneath an icy cold shower like the great Cat Yamaguchi for 1 hr if you so choose. Just kidding, have a beautiful day, sir.
I absolutely love the demonstration of martial arts Bruce Lee brought us, IN PRINCIPLE. Those last 2 words are the key. MMA judges TKD on the traditional curriculum as if the physical form of TKD is the style, represents the system. Thats' the false premise. Traditional martial arts is mental first in principle,,, physical 2nd. See my earlier threads,,, including the kata. Note at several junctures in my discourse(s)... I will qualify my positions saying that doing karate as only a physical exercise is flawed, and likely failure along the line.... You, the MMA competitor, have to basically make a choice of which fork in the road to take.

I can readily criticize the karate black-belt curriculum. My criticisms are sound though... because I really understand it, IN PRINCIPLE. I doubt I will ever achieve a true Master's standing based upon my understanding.... despite what the Tang Soo Instructor in these 1-Steps says by his belt. I can find a lot of fault, in principle, in the form he displays. A true black-belt level in karate is quite an undertaking....

As to throwing out the useless, the better lesson is to strive to understand the PRINCIPLES behind the form... those may be too hard to fathom, or realistically unworkable according to one's understanding... so don't use 'em. Or change 'em, adapt them, keeping true to principle. That's why you will see so many sport karate or formal karate competitors heavily rely on the reverse punch. In truth though,,, Karate = Sophistication. Getting good @ karate requires sophistication in PRINCIPLES.... THERE'S NO GETTING AROUND GICHIN FUNAKOSHI'S 20 SHOTOKAN PRECEPTS.

TOP-SHELF TKD WILL DEFEAT MUAY THAI... PROBABLY. HAS TO BE TOP-SHELF FROM TRADITIONAL PRINCIPLES.. Such is rare, but attainable. Anthony Pettis TKD, for example, is far from top-shelf on many counts....

ANOTHER SAMPLE OF 1-STEP SPARRING SOPHISTICATION, BELOW....

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LVBbrmSrdM

BAS TACTIC #2: BODY SHOTS.

Note that Basic #3 is designed against an attack to the middle. As in Middle Zone. Basic #1 was designed for an attack to the high (your head most typically). Middle Zone, High Zone. That's right folks,,, traditional karate divides offensive assaults, hence the (your) mirror of defense, into 3 general zones: Low, Middle, High. This is one of the tactical principles of traditional karate technique... in dividing the body you're trying to defend into spacial zones.... So you can say traditional karate doesn't specifically train low kicks (actually it does) very much... not allowed in sparring, whatever... BUT you can't pass your white-to-yellow belt test without recognizing & performing technique specific to all 3 zones.... WAKE UP MMA!!!! THINK PRINCIPLES!!!!... not John Hackelman will demo you how to do a nice reverse punch.

HIGH, MIDDLE, LOW.... don't make me repeat it.....

BAS #2 SAYS THROW THE BODY SHOT. In Bas's advisory vid for Woodley... Bas goes on about how he mixed up body shots in order to score wins... including dropping a competitor, a trainor & a coach in a row @ some kickboxing gym. IOW,,, Bas went middle, when they what:? turned their brains off and only thought HIGH. I told ya,,,, karate is for the thinking. These rough tough full contact types... yet what again... failed the traditional TKD, Tang Soo Do, Japanese karate, Okinawan karate, American Kenpo, etc, etc, etc,,,, WHITE BELT TEST. YES, WHITE BELTS SHOULD KNOW BETTER,,, in principle.

Anyhow, Bas details this tactic for Woodley in order to throw Wonderboy out of this kickboxing game. And BAS is totally right in coaching advice as far as I can tell. This approach will have some measurable success against Wonderboy's striking style.

Now back to the 1-Step #3, Basic. It what, provides an answer, in detail tactically, for just what Bas says works in kickboxing, MMA. Yes folks, the answer is right there in the White-Yellow Beginner-Belt karate curriculum. WOW, and Bruce Lee said karate didn't work... guess Bruce went a little overboard there...

The WOODLEY-Bas steps in with that body shot, what generally do we karateka traditionally do? We STEP BACK & create space between our body & the incoming body strike. We also do something that BAS is trained in TKD to do.... we block, in this case an outside (I always mix inside/ outside up) middle block. We block to the zone that corresponds to the attack. On a broader plane... we defend with technique to the zone of the danger. Middle attack nets Middle defense. Middle Defense here the choice is Outside Middle Block (or is it inside). I call it outside because the block is moving outward from the center of the body... maybe missed a White Belt-Yellow Belt test question....

To summarize, we step back & defend with an outside middle block. We protect against the attack by moving back, we actively defend against the attack by blocking (first). Why block first... 'cause it's a good idea IN PRINCIPLE. Principles, actually....

NOW TRY & DO THIS... AIN'T SO SIMPLE PIIPLES... takes real mental discipline... which is why the exercise is structured so. The Tang Soo Do She Instructor is completely & deliberately controlling every move, every part of the move with intent for every second of her demo... NOW TRY IT MMA..... being in complete command of the situation ain't dumb at all.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I just luv torturing all the Muay Thai fanatics with these 1-Steps. Makes up for the fact the Sonia's of karate aren't paying attention to me, a little. I just wanted to point out a couple of tactical principles in this Baby-Level Kumite exercise.

PRINCIPLE OF MULTIPLE... SYNCHRONIZED TECHNIQUE. First, this Basic #3 has 2 strikes... or by MMA striking colloquially... a COMBO. What are the tactical advantages of same... Boxers know. Can be the same principles here. Vaguely speaking, "Jab" sets up "Cross." What else? Plenty. Maybe McDojo lessons you can walk away with more than you thought going in... Key Words = Think Principles. Like technically works together to form a tactically effective package.. Oh, my head hurts from active thought....

Back to Wonderboy's UFC 205 performance.. there were some observers who complained Thompson threw out a single strike & stopped,,,, did this way TOO OFTEN. Didn't follow up. Well here we are @ the Yellow-Belt beginner level and Stephen has a multiple grade black-belt in super striking Kempo... and he does what? The standard, run of the mill kickboxing of throw a strike & stop for moment or two. In fact both of the 1-steps have multiple technique & multiple steps.... not make a move and then stop. Stephen failed the Basic #3 1-Step principles.... and "lost" a championship fight against a tough, determined, well-studied opponent. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

PRINCIPLE OF WHOLE BODY-STRENGTH POWER STRIKE. Both 1-steps propose a full power reverse punch (doesn't this sound like Woodley's bread & butter, IN PRINCIPLE). That's right Wonderboy.... if you just tap or smack Woodley... it might be No Wonder the fight goes on until he corks you one good. That's OK with a reserved Rory MacDonald heading to greener pastures. Tyron's the 'CHOSEN.' Sounds like a ramp up in intensity to me opponent-wise. The 1-Steps all advocate on the basic level... a full strength, disabling power strike. NOW THERE'S KARATE TRADITION FOR YOU. SMASH THE ASSAILANT. Traditional karate doesn't fluck around... PIIPLES.

IN fact, the entire 1-Step Sparring exercise presents mental state principles of how to pay attention and conduct yourself AT ALL TIMES IN A COMBAT COMPETITION SETTING. Mentally, there's a set of say four (4) phases... A TACTICAL INTEGRITY. Hesitate for a moment & say what? ain't no room for.... in karate tradition. I think BAS has the much easier coaching Job for Woodely-Wonderboy2. Don't you????

oh, no.. more to come....:eek:

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
LET'S RECAP BAS RUTTEN'S ADVICE FOR WOODLEY ON WOODLEY-WONDEROBY 2:

1. Low Kick. Use low kicks to attack the sport karate stance.

2. Body Shot. Go to the body shot to vary the attack.

I concur that against the type of sport karate-kickboxing... these will work well against Wonderboy though... selectively, not frequently. The success rate will be meaningful & can turn the fight.

Now I'll summarize how sound karate tradition has always prepared for BAS RUTTENS / DUKE ROUFUSES

1. Handling the Low Kick. Transition in stance. Create defensive space. Basic karate, here TKD for example, starts with a step back to a stance.

2. Handling the Body Shot. Active Defense, Part 2. Execute middle block to neutralize strike.

That's it. This defensive platform starts with karate kihon (basics). First we learn the stationary stance. Then we learn the basic techniques of punching & blocking with hands, then kicking with legs. Then we learn to step and perform the stance & technique as a unit.

So simple in principle from the outside view. Highly sophisticated because it's an internal, mental process... not physical regurgitation.

IT CAN BE DONE WITH LARGELY BASIC TECHNIQUE. CAVEAT, YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73_kg531lU

tuc-ouiner.2091/
Seems like karate stances are too static and grounded which can work against someone who is facing a lot of leg kicks. Bas, as I'm sure you know can pull off any of the TKD fancy kicks, but chooses instead to go with a Muay Thai-like stance. I do understand that TKD is not Tang Soo Do or Karate, but like Bruce said... throw out what is useless...
The "grounded" stance is an advantage... and good boxer's may utilize similar principle for pro-striking. For instance, watch @ Glory, Holzken take out Daniels... 2x. The mis-understanding is in believing karate is static. UGLY karate is "frozen." BAD karate is being "static." Good Karate is DYNAMIC. Basic technique, basic striking dynamically via karate is sophisticated.

The rebuttal is, "Do you have the mental discipline to strike like Jeff Speakman does in the clip?" Can you keep your composure, focus on the targets standing in front, all around you? Alvarez failed UFC 205 vs. McGregor. He lapsed the "game plan, " so he said. Weidman failed against Romero... shooting TD from why outside effective position... defense at the expense of viable offense. These are championship-level MMA competitors folks... Gold holders....

We karateka Chamber-Execute; Whole body power. The so-called static stance enables the physical (& mental) base for that.... if we move, we move tactically....

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Seems like karate stances are too static and grounded which can work against someone who is facing a lot of leg kicks. Bas, as I'm sure you know can pull off any of the TKD fancy kicks, but chooses instead to go with a Muay Thai-like stance. I do understand that TKD is not Tang Soo Do or Karate, but like Bruce said... throw out what is useless. Pardon me if I seem disrespectful... I shall stand underneath an icy cold shower like the great Cat Yamaguchi for 1 hr if you so choose. Just kidding, have a beautiful day, sir.
Quoting Bruce Lee is not understanding the traditional karate curriculum. Without serious investigation... it's just popularized, marketing & entertainment rhetoric... The traditional karate curriculum has all kinds of drawbacks... having said that... the real drawback is the ignorance of those who oppose it.

The philosophically correct answer is that the traditional curriculum is presenting & teaching principles. I personally don't warm up to the Shotokan karate interpretation in action of all of those principles. Nonetheless, Shotokan forces one to address the ills of doing BAD or UGLY karate... it's well structured for academic study... which then leads to understanding & competency for the serious-minded.

In traditional karate free sparring, the choice of technique, etc. all of what to do is totally up to YOU. If you don't care for a traditional technique or application... nobody is making you use it. They're is plenty of choices.... Same for all belt-rank tests.... same for tournaments....

Bruce Lee's Jeet kun do at say black-belt level could defeat my traditional karate style on the same level. Jeet Kun Do is far more difficult to understand principle-wise and even harder to accomplish competently. That's why the Japanese karates are constructed he way they are.... more pragmatic for the average person... with average time to commit. This is the correct explanation (on one level) as to why you don't see kung fu, Wing chun in MMA.

All these super-MMA gyms & top MMA competitors can't begin to stumble their way through the White-Yellow Belt 1-Step Sparring vids I've presented.... Instead... they superficially cry & complain how they don't work....

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
BAS IS A BIG FAN OF CONTACT FIGHTING. I came across a kung fu style called Jow Ga. Here's a Jow Ga school which encourages free sparring, an emphasis, as a means of training. I don't agree in the least. For answer key... see how the Assistant instructor fares against he "Mushin Freestylist," whatever that is? The latter stylist, however, is no joke and like Wonderboy... possesses an extreme level of physical talent, and very smart tactically... Very aggressive which is a strength against the more docile Assistant Instructor. The key to beating an aggressive fighter like that is to be more dynamic... no easy feat against this guy....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AyRgSahnFM

Why I pan free sparring practice is, that after 17 years or so of TMA training, the Jow Ga Assistant Instructor is clueless on what to do with defense against kicks. Also, his punches include a lot of over-extended winging & wanging. Again, repeating physical drills, just sparring doing this & that... ain't the correct approach to TMA. Why doing fancy kung fu is a massive fail so often... it's excruciatingly difficult to master mentally... much, much harder that the karate styles....

Pay special note @ TIME = 2:33-2:34. Spinning back kick by Mushin Stylist. Dead smack-on. We have number of higher-ranks @ my dojo who excel @ that kick,,, and if I'm not really mentally focused... I get caught from time to time. It's a very hard kick to physically handle defense tactic-wise unless you are 100% mentally focused on dynamically moving to counter....

Earlier on, the Assistant Instructor gets pissed at a back of the head shot Mr. Mushin gives him... also pissed no-doubt that his Jow Ga kung fu-ey is way outclassed:mad:. People want to take a high-level TMA like Jow Ga 'cause it's better than that rigid, Bruce Lee-dissed karate,,, not realizing what it really takes to accomplish sound kung fu. Mr. Mushin-Stylist, the bringer of doubly unfortunate, unpleasant wake-up call... 17 years late....:leftright::eek:

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
THE TRAINING I ADVOCATE IS DOING BASIC KARATE TECHNIQUE WELL... WHICH AS A SKILL BASE IS ADVANCED COMPARED TO KICKBOXING, MMA, ETC.

Here's a sample of how to out-strike Woodley & his explosive power. Note... wannabe's ya can't spend a couple of months in the Gym & achieve this. The demo'ing instructor also has problems with his stance, a commonly, neglected skill base by karate stylists, including Stephen Thompson. It's fair to say many Okinawan karate styles propose higher, more natural stance... which is actually more difficult to master than the lower, more traditional karate stances seen in Japanese and so many karate styles including some Okinawan. Which is a reason I didn't opt to study an Okinawan karate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hw49vjuji0

Unlike my TKD samples I've posted of 1-Step Sparring... this Okinawan Instructor steps off to an angle. That's another principle inherent in 1-Step Sparring, in addition to the very basic, taking a step back to create defensive space. The reason to learn & do the simple step-back version first, is to learn the mental discipline process... not rely on complicated tactics right away... having little mental discipline.

You now have a tactical choice of whether to step back, then counter; or, to step out & avoid, or to step back then out, to counter. Principles which create alternatives which you must deliberately choose among (the extended definition of KIME) in real time under pressure....

Wonderboy, in one of his post-fight MMA interviews (& after the swelling subsided), mentioned he was going to get a little better @ skill set for Woodley2. I wonder what he's gonna do about that?

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Listening to Bas Rutten Post-fight commentary again... Bas made an observation contrary to most commentary about Woodley allowing himself to get backed against the fence. Bas, contrary to popular opinion, found that this worked to Woodley's advantage.

From my karate perspective, BY the 1-steps & such,,, what Woodley did is really of no consequence in terms of a disadvantage. The truth is, the situation could work either way... not just the negative way in that MMA strikers habitually move backwards in response to a strike.... the re-actively move back, back peddle, etc....

More so, and I want to add, I think this was excellent tactical planning on the part of Duke Roufus. He, IMO, has shown himself in this fight... to be one of the better, the top echelon, of MMA-Striking coaches. No one has taken Wonderboy to task like Tyron. Wonderboy was literally vulnerable to a finish more than once in Round 4.

A number of MMA commentator who claim striking expertise criticized Woodley for putting his back against the cage... Again IMO, shows the 1-dimensional reactive mindset of MMA striking, getting caught up in seeing only 1 factor. Woodley's doing so in this fight was SMART, on multiple fronts....

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I HAVE ANOTHER THREAD GOING ON ABOUT WONDERBOY'S UFC 205's SCREW-UPS, THOUGH HE ALMOST PULLED OFF A SCORECARD WIN DESPITE ALL THAT, AND INSPITE OF WOODLEY'S EXCELLENT 2 ROUNDS.

Here's a YT Vid of a TKD stylist, eerily similar to Wonderboy in striking style... not as good on hands uniformly. The Muay Thai / MMA Stylist really catches him on a couple of three occasions... a great case similar to Wonderboy's difficulties @ UFC 205. Eerily similar to UFC 205. Most important, we now had good reason to know that Duke Roufus is going to be all over the vulnerabilities inherent in this style of striking, really kickboxing based on TKD technique.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTKvTlZkvI

This says Sanda versus TKD so I may be off on the Muay Thai call... dunno. What 's great about the Sanda competitor is that he demo's eerily the same TD ability by catching kicks that Woodley was able to demo @ UFC 205. Later, he does the same on counter striking. WOW, maybe I understand what Duke Roufus understands!!!! Wonder-DAD, where ya been???

I should do a thread on TMA for MMA. The big point I'll tell you right know. Traditional karate in application is the art of self defense. Self defense means having the capability, potentially lethal, to dissuade or disable the opponent by physical action. Since in MMA, we can be physically disabled by our opponent (TKO, submission), we have to be prepared in karate, by the doctrine of self defense, to exact the same against our opponent. In self defense, we match the threat.

One of the practical problems evident here, which is faced by all full contact fighters, is we don't want to seriously or permanently injure our opponent... it's sport, not self defense... So our karate self defense doctrine is now limited to sporting conventions. At the same time... should we interpose light contact or no contact behavior upon an opponent applying full contact... we are sacrificing ourselves to risk and probable loss.

The latter is just what the TKD player does, just like Wonderboy @ 205, all too frequently. And it catches up with him on the couple of three occasions.... Also note the massive fail of the default "hands up" guard by the TKD player. It's really a mental discipline failure that's the driver. Contrary to the posts where karate stylists ( and there's a many chiming in on YT) that the hands up guard or passive guard is a practical necessity... in karate tradition it's the reverse. Discipline to do the right move replaces armoring oneself passively... re-actively.... What precisely goes wrong for MR. TKD is that his reactions are random & way off....

No matter how proficient one becomes at physical technique... and the TKD is reasonably middling quality... he throws some nine technique... that DOES NOT QUALIFY AS KARATE (TKD Tradition). The complete principled integrity of the action driven by mental discipline is what make karate, KARATE. What I said about the "MIDDLE QUALITY," I gave the moniker of "BAD," which is precisely how the match turns out for so-called TKD> See my original, Debunking Karate Distance, for expanded textbook....

SO, TKD "players"such as the one in the vid.... Duke Roufus is on to you! Against Duke &Co., you're walking into disaster.... which the above vid... my MMA standard, proves, in principle....

EDIT: ALSO, as Bas's sharp eye catches re Wonderboy... note how the TKD strolls around randomly, in an upright normal walking stance.... ripe for LOW Kick takeout by Mr. Sanda. Ya can't be stupid and excel @ karate. Never will work, ever....o_O:rolleyes:

EDIT2: Found a couple of vids showing what TKD with discipline can do. Maybe I'll link or show later... It's not about doing fine punching & kicking,,, it's about principled, disciplined tactical integrity....

Last edited: