Bas Rutten wouldn't count Fedor Emelianenko out against Jon Jones at 205 pounds

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten loves him some Fedor Emelianenko.

The former PRIDE commentator sounds intrigued over the rumblings that Emelianenko may be making a return to fighting, but wants to see him at 205 pounds if he joins the UFC.

"[Emelianenko] shouldn't be fighting at heavyweight," Rutten tells Submission Radio. "The guy's like 225 pounds. Eh, you're just there. Lose like 15 pounds and then fight at 205. What an animal he would be. But then again, he probably fights at the weight he feels more comfortable."
Asked if he believed the former PRIDE heavyweight champion would be able to hang with the elite at 205 pounds, Rutten jumped straight to the top.
"205? Well, yea. If [former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones] comes back, he's an animal, too. When I think about Fedor I see him just crushing people in Japan. If I think about him coming back because maybe he had injuries and those were the reasons that he started losing? I don't know. If I picture that Fedor coming back I think sky's the limit for him.

"Even [against] a Jon Jones. I don't know. He always finds a way to win."

Morning Report: Bas Rutten wouldn't count Fedor Emelianenko out against Jon Jones at 205 pounds - MMA Fighting

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0K6qTZSWRQ

Man, my brain is so conflicted here. Bas obviously watched Fedor in his prime and to see that spectacle over and over, often in person has to leave you with an impression. And Bas is a smart guy. But man, the sport is changing and moving so fast.
My brain says Fedor could do anything he wanted had he moved onto a more comprehensive training camp, but years have past with several performances highlighting a style that requires youth, vigor, and speed to implement.

But then there's MMA. There's there's the reality that Robbie Lawler and Werdum are Champions in 2015. REALLY? One month after Fedor's last fight Lawler lost to Lorenzo Larkin making Lawler 1-3 in his last 4 fights at that time. Werdum made 2012 the beginning of his current success, going on a current six fight win streak. Both guys have improved their games tremendously.

So maybe Fedor is getting older and that softball throwing overhand right can't quit come as fast. And maybe that won't matter because 3 years has made champions of others, sometimes lesser expected candidates.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Fedor fucks Jones up badly

Like badly!

No way Jones is outwrestling Fedor and he damn sure isnt outstriking him or keeping Fedor at a distance. Fedor would lump him up bad. I would pay a lot of money to see that fight.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Fedor would be an animal at 205. Like Bas said, the guy is 225-230 pounds and by looking at his physique, he could lose 20 pounds of fat without it effecting his performance whatsoever. I dont think he would lose anything strength...the only negative would be losing some of his speed advantage at LHW.

Kinosis

May 26, 2015
Fedor weighed in at 237lbs against Monson if I remember correctly. His training in Holland had him on the right track, he fought with a gameplan again, his striking looked sharp and he was lifting weights again. What does he look like 3 years later after not fighting? No clue, but if he looks like he did for his last 3 fights I would favor him over anyone at HW. At 39 though I would assume he has to be slowing down some, time will tell.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Fedor doesn't win against Jones. If Matt Lindland (yes he did), Bigfoot Silva, Randleman and Coleman took him down then Jones will have no trouble, and he WON'T get back up. I'm not sure why people think this fight would be a shutout when Fedor had so much trouble against Henderson and even took almost 2 rounds to finish Brett Rogers.

Hey, I like Fedor too but his weaknesses were showing at the end, it's just that he was in the wrong org for those losses to pile up.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Hate to say it but Jones loses to no one that is currently active or retired.....but would one like to see this fight........yes

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
Fedor beating Jon Jones??? Lollers. Maybe the mythical "Fedor in his prime" but Fedor today? Come on. Seriously??

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Fedor doesn't win against Jones. If Matt Lindland (yes he did), Bigfoot Silva, Randleman and Coleman took him down then Jones will have no trouble, and he WON'T get back up. I'm not sure why people think this fight would be a shutout when Fedor had so much trouble against Henderson and even took almost 2 rounds to finish Brett Rogers.

Hey, I like Fedor too but his weaknesses were showing at the end, it's just that he was in the wrong org for those losses to pile up.
I'm not going to call out any one of the opponents you listed and say they were juiced to the gills (conservatively speaking), but I will point out that aside from Bigfoot and Rogers, you're talking about some of the highest level wrestlers to ever step into MMA, especially in the heavyweight division. Fedor actually beat Lindland, Randleman, Rogers, and Coleman. He fought stupid against Bigfoot, and that cost him, but I still feel that doctor's stoppage was pre-mature, not to mention that non-supplemented Bigfoot crumbles from any one of the shots that Fedor landed in the first round. Hendo is a bad dude, and there's zero shame in losing to a legend.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Hate to say it but Jones loses to no one that is currently active or retired.....but would one like to see this fight........yes
Jones could easily lose a decision at some point because as they say, live by the sword, die by the sword. That's also easier said than done. He's like GSP, but in a less stacked division, and I agree that right now there doesn't appear to be anyone out there capable of overcoming the combination of Jones' ability as a fighter and Jackson/Winklejohn's ability to break an opponent down and come up with the best game plan.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
I'm not going to call out any one of the opponents you listed and say they were juiced to the gills (conservatively speaking), but I will point out that aside from Bigfoot and Rogers, you're talking about some of the highest level wrestlers to ever step into MMA, especially in the heavyweight division. Fedor actually beat Lindland, Randleman, Rogers, and Coleman. He fought stupid against Bigfoot, and that cost him, but I still feel that doctor's stoppage was pre-mature, not to mention that non-supplemented Bigfoot crumbles from any one of the shots that Fedor landed in the first round. Hendo is a bad dude, and there's zero shame in losing to a legend.
......and absolutely zero of them could hold Cormier's jock in wrestling, as proven by the thumping he handed out to the aformentioned Henderson. Cormier couldn't buy a takedown against Jones though.

I like Fedor, but he's outmatched against Jon.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015

I feel the same way. The widthspan of Jones would be too much i think. Fedor's grappling is not on the level of Cormier.

Fedor did great in Pride where the ring benefited the striker, but like CroCop, Shogun, Wanderlei etc once they fought grapplers in cage it became a different story.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i wouldnt want to see fedor come back and eat spinning elbows to the dome. the big question to me is what does jon jones come back like? what is he doing now? is he training and living healthy or is he up all night doing cocaine and sleeping all day. jon jones may have already seen his prime come and go or he may come back as a hungry beast with something to prove.fedor we already know is past his prime and there are a lot of top fighters who are his age that would make interesting match ups for him.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
......and absolutely zero of them could hold Cormier's jock in wrestling, as proven by the thumping he handed out to the aformentioned Henderson. Cormier couldn't buy a takedown against Jones though.

I like Fedor, but he's outmatched against Jon.
Aside from insulting Henderson, who was way past his prime (post-TRT) fighting a bigger in his prime Cormier, what's your point?

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I predict Fedor goes to Japan for one fightand gets some big freak show circus type match.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Aside from insulting Henderson, who was way past his prime (post-TRT) fighting a bigger in his prime Cormier, what's your point?
Saying that Henderson took a thumping is an insult? Ok, I'll try to say it more to your tastes.....Henderson lost the wrestling battle to Cormier handily. Henderson was 'past his prime' when he beat Fedor and had just lost to 170lb Jake Shields 2 fights prior. Ironically Henderson got his 'prime' back as soon as he beat Fedor. The word prime is an MMA fan's dream because it explains away losses even if no connection can be realistically made. Cormier is several years older than Fedor was when he started losing yet you call it his prime. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just see no justification for thinking Fedor is going to come back and route Jones when the evidence doesn't show that.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
I'm a big Fedor fan but he gets owned in the UFC. Fact is he got old and new fighters are better imo. Cormier would destroy him, Bones throws him on his head and elbows the life out of him.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
IF this fight some how magically happens I predict the following. Fedor isn't the aggressor early on and feels Jon out, Jons not a big combo guy so Fedor takes time to figure out the range. The more this happens the more confident Jon gets so he pushes forward more. Maybe mid second round Jon gives an opening where Fedor then lets off his typical crazy left rights but his intent isn't to KO but to get Jon to wrap him up and go to the mat. Before Fedor is flat he has secured an arm and starts to turn his hips looking in an arm bar the same way Vitor did but gets the finish.

In no way is this a cake walk for either but again this is all just fun speculation. I'd like to see what kind of shape Fedor gets into and get a feel of how serious this is. Is this a cash grab? If so Jon wins by TKO. If he's takes his camp seriously and gets into peak shape I see Fedor playing almost a possum style in order to bait Jon into giving up one of those long arms. Same goes for Jon as far as how he looks coming back. He might get tons of support for fighting through his issues and be a new man or get boo'd to hell and mentally break before he hits the Cage. Either way where ever Fedor goes my wallet will be sure to follow.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Saying that Henderson took a thumping is an insult? Ok, I'll try to say it more to your tastes.....Henderson lost the wrestling battle to Cormier handily. Henderson was 'past his prime' when he beat Fedor and had just lost to 170lb Jake Shields 2 fights prior. Ironically Henderson got his 'prime' back as soon as he beat Fedor. The word prime is an MMA fan's dream because it explains away losses even if no connection can be realistically made. Cormier is several years older than Fedor was when he started losing yet you call it his prime. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just see no justification for thinking Fedor is going to come back and route Jones when the evidence doesn't show that.
Did you come here just to troll? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because otherwise you're just too uniformed about the sport the you're posting about to be taken serious.

Okay , here are Hendo's fights leading up to and immediately after Fedor. TRT prime era Hendo:
November 19, 2011 - Shogun Rua - Win, by decision
July 30, 2011 - Fedor Emelianenko - Win, KO in the 1st round
March 5, 2011 - Rafael Cavalcante - Win, KO in the 3rd round
December 4, 2010 - Babalu Sobral - Win, KO in the 1st round
April 17, 2010 - Jake Shields - Loss, by decsion
July 11, 2009 - Michael Bisping - Win, KO in the 2nd round
January 17, 2009 - Rich Franklin - Win, by decision
September 6, 2008 - Rousimar Palhares - Win, by decision

Leading up to and immediately after the Cormier fight:
February 23, 2013 - Lyoto Machida - Loss, by decision
June 15, 2013 - Rashad Evans - Loss, by decsion
November 9, 2013 - Vitor Belfort - Loss, KO in the 1st round
March 23, 2014 - Shogun Rua - Win, KO in the 3rd round
May 24th, 2014 - Daniel Cormier - Loss, submitted in the 3rd round
January 24, 2015 - Gegard Mousasi - Loss, TKO in the 2nd round

Your point about Cormier's age vs Fedor's age, etc. is a ludicrous point at best, but again you're probably, once again, trolling.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Haha! Jon Jones easy... Clinch up knee knee knee! Break away smash smash smash! Takedown at will. It's the same fight as Cormier. The advantage of Jon's body type can not be over stated he is easily one of the strongest men in MMA. His lift numbers won't show it for mechanical reasons but, in the clinch? When that big sinewy mother fucker gets a hold of men they know...

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Obviously Fedor is a legend. But like all the other legends, Jones would wreck him. Jones is a different breed. Fedor would not be able to figure out what to do with Jones. He can't out wrestle him and Jones has the reach to hit him from across the room. Let's be honest about another thing, Fedor was juiced in Pride. Everyone was. He's not coming back after a layoff, getting older, to cut weight and have any success against Jones. On a positive note, there are a lot of aging heavyweights that would be fun fights for the fans.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Fuck 205 if Jon is such a badass let him play with the big boys. Nothing drives me more crazy about modern MMA than fighters cutting to smaller classes. Then acting like they would own the bigger class. Werdum, Barnett, Cain, and Miocic all would cause Jon fits at heavyweight. Jon might beat Fedor but to act like it would be a slaughter in ridiculous.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Well im not gonna weigh in here because i dont see Jones beating Cocaine. So far he is 0-2 vs the "powder"

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Fuck 205 if Jon is such a badass let him play with the big boys. Nothing drives me more crazy about modern MMA than fighters cutting to smaller classes. Then acting like they would own the bigger class. Werdum, Barnett, Cain, and Miocic all would cause Jon fits at heavyweight. Jon might beat Fedor but to act like it would be a slaughter in ridiculous.
If the athletic commission gives him an exemption to do a few lines after every fight, he beats every one of those guys in the same night.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
If the athletic commission gives him an exemption to do a few lines after every fight, he beats every one of those guys in the same night.
Banya Fedor makes White lady Jon put himself in lockup to save his other arm.