Lifestyle BBQs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Weber Spirit's are junk. Made in china, low quality components, shit warranty and piss-poor heat retention.
When I bought mine it has a 25 year warranty. I think mine is "Made in USA" though, been more than a couple years since I bought it.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
For a gas BBQ, get a Weber Family Q.
Refer to the steak thread, and it shows a few of my cooks on there.
The cool part is the attachments and extras that you can get - rotisserie, breakfast cast iron plate etc.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
For a gas BBQ, get a Weber Family Q.
Refer to the steak thread, and it shows a few of my cooks on there.
The cool part is the attachments and extras that you can get - rotisserie, breakfast cast iron plate etc.
he's been shown the way of The Q.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
My current grilling setup is a Weber Genesis II 3 burner (with sear station) and a for BBQ a Weber 22" kettle.

Weber Spirit's are junk. Made in china, low quality components, shit warranty and piss-poor heat retention. Napoleon I have no experience with, but I hear from my Canuck buddies it's a well-regarded brand with quality offerings. Not easy to find in Commiefornia. Of the two you posted, I'd go with the Napoleon.

To get a quality grill, you need to spend some decent cash. If you spend around $2-300 (USD) you can expect to be replacing it every few years or so. Or, conversely, replacing enough parts that you're better off junking it and buying new. Buy once, cry once.

Things to look for are a heavy, thick-gauge lid, with no gaps or shitty seams, and a solid, heavy-duty cast metal firebox. Welded seams will leak less than riveted, but riveted will be less expensive. You won't find full seam welds under $1,000,most likely. These things will insure it gets hot, stays hot, and you'll have solid heat retention. You want stainless burner tubes, and 7-9mm solid stainless grill grates. Both are easy to maintain and long-lasting (really, lifetime) if you take care of them. Test or ask about the quality of the stainless, ideally you want 316L. Ask about warranty and what is exactly covered, for how long, and does that mean "shipped to your door". You'll be surprised at some of the back doors built into the warranties.

Buy bigger than you think you'll need, because it sucks wanting to make something and not having the space for it.
I've had my Weber Q for over a decade. I replaced the gas valve once, but that was my fault.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Any of you folks running natural gas or still hauing around propane tanks like peasants?

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
When I bought mine it has a 25 year warranty. I think mine is "Made in USA" though, been more than a couple years since I bought it.
I don't think Weber ever made a Spirit-series grill with a 25 year warranty, at least not on any parts that truly matter. I'd be curious to see the model and warranty if I'm wrong.

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
Any of you folks running natural gas or still hauing around propane tanks like peasants?
I was going to run a line for natural gas because I hate dealing with the damn tanks, but in the end the LP version I bought on clearance was too good to pass up, so I just bought 3 empty LP tanks from Costco and fill them at a place down the street.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm unfamiliar with the "Q" line. I was trying to talk the wife into the Summit series but in the end, I couldn't even justify it to myself.
The Q is very reasonable in price, considering how useful it is and how long it lasts.
I used to throw mine in the trunk with a Coleman can when I'd go shooting in the mountains.
Took it to the beach a couple times, even took it skiing once.

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
That makes total sense.

I was and am considering the everdure one That’s the boutique option.

Everdure by Heston Force Gas BBQ - Mint

if I was spending serious money I’d go weber genesis.

but looking what I can get and what I want to spend. The best deal seems to be the Napoleon

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/napoleon/napoleon-rogue-r365-all-black-gas-bbq.asp

what do you think
It's a very small grill, but it may be that's all you want or need, I don't like the porcelain-coated grates, I prefer full-on stainless. I've never had porcelain coated grates not end up being a problem. I don't like that there's more than a few complaints of that model being made A) in China and B) with cheap, thin-gauge steel.

I do like that there's storage in the cabinet for the tank, I do like the enameled outside, stainless outsides are a pain in the balls to keep clean. Be forewarned there's numerous complaints about the exterior finish being susceptible to swirlmarks and scratches. 32,000 BTU on a 2-burner grill is nice, and I love Napoleon's burner tubes. Big fan of the folding side shelves as well.

There's stuff that's good and bad, but to me it seems a little overpriced for what you're getting.

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
The Q is very reasonable in price, considering how useful it is and how long it lasts.
I used to throw mine in the trunk with a Coleman can when I'd go shooting in the mountains.
Took it to the beach a couple times, even took it skiing once.
Now for camping or the beach, spot-on. It looks very portable and useful for those types of pursuits. But as I stated above, as my only grilling option, it'd make me a very sad panda indeed.

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
That makes total sense.

I was and am considering the everdure one That’s the boutique option.

Everdure by Heston Force Gas BBQ - Mint

if I was spending serious money I’d go weber genesis.

but looking what I can get and what I want to spend. The best deal seems to be the Napoleon

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/napoleon/napoleon-rogue-r365-all-black-gas-bbq.asp

what do you think
Now, that evedure (?) seems like getting parts or accessories would by a huge hassle. Of the two, I'd go Napoleon. the everdure one seems too niche (and overseas) for me to be able to parse whether it's good, bad, or trading on the name. Sorry I can't be more help there.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Now for camping or the beach, spot-on. It looks very portable and useful for those types of pursuits. But as I stated above, as my only grilling option, it'd make me a very sad panda indeed.
my 100$ weber is like 8 years old maybe

pretty epic man, lotta great grilling going on man

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
my 100$ weber is like 8 years old maybe

pretty epic man, lotta great grilling going on man
My first grill was a $150 char-broil I bought on sale, and used a coupon. It was a 2-burner junker who's burners rusted out in a few years. After that I loaded charcoal in there and used it that way for a couple more. I learned a shit-ton on that thing, and if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a fucking thing. Hahaha...

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I have a cheap ass grill 21 dollar and charcoal I basically just bbq hamburgers and hot dogs or other phallic meats.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have a cheap ass grill 21 dollar and charcoal I basically just bbq hamburgers and hot dogs or other phallic meats.
U can do nice tri tip on that

I do it on my small weber

U can get that cut of meat in cali for sure...they have it in costco up here...the prime tri tip is great

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
U can do nice tri tip on that

I do it on my small weber

U can get that cut of meat in cali for sure...they have it in costco up here...the prime tri tip is great
tri tip is very nice meat I like trip tip bbq sandwiches

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
tri tip is very nice meat I like trip tip bbq sandwiches
I have a good method for that size grill

so far it turns out great every time and it is simple...let me know if you get a slab or two and wanna try my method

I will probably hit up costco for another 4-6 lb pack of two tri tips soon and cook it this weekend

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I have a good method for that size grill

so far it turns out great every time and it is simple...let me know if you get a slab or two and wanna try my method

I will probably hit up costco for another 4-6 lb pack of two tri tips soon and cook it this weekend
Not to sound like a queer or anything, but I'd like to hear the method.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not to sound like a queer or anything, but I'd like to hear the method.
very simple man

Tri Tip roast recipe for small coal grill

Get tri tip, I get two at costco in a pack 35-50 bucks for 4-6 lbs...I get prime but choice is legit also...get freshest packed tips by date

dust both sides with spices...can do mexican style or middle eastern style or whatever

Options...

cumin
garlic powder/or diced
salt
pepper
oregano
paprika
rosemary
chili powder
many more options
etc...can't go wrong with the spices...be creative

I put both tri tip roasts in a single 1 gallon ziplock and add some avocado oil or olive oil to help the spices emulsify for marinating period.
Marinate 24 hours usually, can go more

Get coals all hot and flamey
all coals on one side
no coals on other side
hot side/cooler side situation going on

I use an element to start instead of fluid...I use some hardwood charcoal, not briquets

Wait until meat is room temp before putting on Grill

anyways I either sear both sides of steak for 1 minute each first on hot side of BBQ and then move to cooler side until roast gets to desired temp and then I pull it off the grill...this is sear style tri tip

for me, I pull at like 115 or 120 max, and steak ends up being over 130 inside and perfect...u can wait longer and will still be moist but more done...I like pink red in center, personal preference.

Or put on cooler side and let it ride until like 110 degrees and then move to hot side to sear both sides...that is reverse sear style...this method also kicks ass

Both make amazing tri tip...just gotta remember it will rise 10 degrees internally after you pull it off the grill

I cover it with tinfoil or a lid after pulling it...Then let it rest for 10-15 before cutting so the juices lock into the meat instead of run away on the cutting board.

After resting cut to desired thickness...look up cutting tri tip...the grain goes two different ways usually so you have to adjust accordingly

really all about internal temp monitoring and a sear either up front or on the finish

I use a 8 dollar basic poker to check temp in the fattest part of each roast

probably works with various cuts of meat for good results

Pretty epic when you get it right, and fairly primitive at the same time

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
very simple man

Tri Tip roast recipe for small coal grill

Get tri tip, I get two at costco in a pack 35-50 bucks for 4-6 lbs...I get prime but choice is legit also...freshest packed tips

dust both sides with spices...can do mexican style or middle eastern style or whatever

Options...

cumin
garlic powder/or diced
salt
pepper
oregano
paprika
rosemary
chili powder
many more options
etc...can't go wrong with the spices...be creative

I put both tri tip roasts in a single 1 gallon ziplock and add some avocado oil or olive oil to help the spices emulsify for marinating period.
Marinate 1 day usually, can go more

Get coals all hot and flamey
all coals on one side
no coals on other side

I use an element to start instead of fluid...I use some hardwood charcoal, not briquets

anyways I either sear both sides of steak for 1 minute each first on hot side of BBQ and then move to cooler side until roast is get roasts to desired temp and pull it off...this is sear style tri tip

for me I pull at like 115 or 120 max, and steak ends up being over 130 inside and perfect...u can wait longer and will still be moist but more done...I like pink red in center, personal preference...regu

Or put on cooler side and let it ride until like 110 degrees and then move to hot side to sear both sides...that is reverse sear style

Both make amazing tri tip...just gotta remember it will rise 10 degrees internally after you pull it off the grill

Let it rest for 10-15 before cutting so the juices lock into the meat instead of run away on the cutting board.

really all about internal temp monitoring and a sear either up front or on the finish

I use a 8 dollar basic poker to check temp in the fattest part of each roast

probably works with various cuts of meat for good results

Pretty epic when you get it right, and fairly primitive at the same time
Too many words, did not read.

Anyone else?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Too many words, did not read.

Anyone else?
honestly it wore me out
I cussed your screen name 4 times during it

still thinking I should re read it to edit and clean up my rambling

But alas

i cannot read all that shit either

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
honestly it wore me out
I cussed your screen name 4 times during it

still thinking I should re read it to edit and clean up my rambling

But alas

i cannot read all that shit either
I'm bullshitting. I knew you actually took the time out to write that, so I thought I'd be a dick and act like I didn't read it. Lol. I'm going to try that method.