Lifestyle BBQs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have always wanted a smoker, and finally jumped in and bought a Traeger yesterday. Going to try beef short ribs tomorrow for Mother’s Day.
I realize a pellet smoker is not a “real” smoker, but I don’t need another time consuming hobby so a real wood offset smoker was a no-go.
I had one, they are super convenient. You should check out some of the more advanced controllers for them. I'd start a brisket at 11 PM and wake up at 7 to check on in, they ran great. You just have to know how to run them right. I always start off at 180-200 on a pellet smoker for a few hours, they put out more smoke the lower you run them, after that depending on what you are making turn it up to 225-275 and you'll be golden.

Also get Lumberjack pellets, the traeger ones are garbage. These were our favorite pellets.
Lumber Jack Char Hickory Blend Grill Pellets - 5177

This is the controller you want.
Savannah Stoker Pellet Grill Controller

Last edited:

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Gonna need pics of the first cook please
First cook went well. Beef short ribs with a rub. Spayed them with apple juice every hour. Anticipated 8-10 hours at 225 degrees to get them to an internal temp of 205; the stall lasted quite a while so it ended up taking 10 1/2 hours and I ended up increasing the temp to 280 for the last 90 mins. They were really good. I should have used way more of the rub, but better too little than too much. The meat tasted great on its own. Made for a great Mother’s Day meal, first time hanging out with my Mom and Dad since the Coronavirus started. I am declaring this a successful first cook.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
First cook went well. Beef short ribs with a rub. Spayed them with apple juice every hour. Anticipated 8-10 hours at 225 degrees to get them to an internal temp of 205; the stall lasted quite a while so it ended up taking 10 1/2 hours and I ended up increasing the temp to 280 for the last 90 mins. They were really good. I should have used way more of the rub, but better too little than too much. The meat tasted great on its own. Made for a great Mother’s Day meal, first time hanging out with my Mom and Dad since the Coronavirus started. I am declaring this a successful first cook.

Those look great! Nicely done.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Isn't beef bad for the heart? I thought you would eat kale wraps and dandelions.