BCAA do they work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I have been taking branched chain amino acids for a couple years now. I have been trying to find ways to save money so when I ran out last week I did not buy any more and have not taken them for about a week. Today I noticed that I am pretty sore and achy. I was wondering if its because I stopped taking the BCAA or is that all in my head?

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
I have been taking branched chain amino acids for a couple years now. I have been trying to find ways to save money so when I ran out last week I did not buy any more and have not taken them for about a week. Today I noticed that I am pretty sore and achy. I was wondering if its because I stopped taking the BCAA or is that all in my head?
Hard to say...
Personally I take them as I train most days and they are much easier to digest than protein powder.
Do they stop you aching? The theory is there and makes sense but some people like Mike Dolce say protein is basically a ruse made up by Joe Weider. Well, he used to say that until Onnit offered him the opportunity to make Dolce whey... ;)

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
PJ I hear youre in financial woes, if thats the case buy some chicken thighs and eat more

I havent taken supplements in forever now but have upped my food intake and my "gains" are stronger than ever.

Im going to be 38 next week so im in your age group

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
PJ I hear youre in financial woes, if thats the case buy some chicken thighs and eat more

I havent taken supplements in forever now but have upped my food intake and my "gains" are stronger than ever.

Im going to be 38 next week so im in your age group
I do not take a ton of stuff and for the most part its pretty cheap. The two scoops of protein powder I do in the morning is the most expensive thing at about 50 bucks a month. (once my current tub runs out I am going to try to eat a little chicken in the morning to replace it). Other than that I take creatine and a BCAA, creatine is like 5 bucks a month or something stupid low and the BCAA i take is 11 bucks a month. I am worried about money but that is pretty cheap so I am not sure it would be worth it to drop it.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I do not take a ton of stuff and for the most part its pretty cheap. The two scoops of protein powder I do in the morning is the most expensive thing at about 50 bucks a month. (once my current tub runs out I am going to try to eat a little chicken in the morning to replace it). Other than that I take creatine and a BCAA, creatine is like 5 bucks a month or something stupid low and the BCAA i take is 11 bucks a month. I am worried about money but that is pretty cheap so I am not sure it would be worth it to drop it.
Ah yes I pay a loading of 300%, the price we pay for living in Australia

Chocolate Shatner

Chief Metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain
Oct 30, 2016
Not trying to come off as a jerk Jay, but think of it this way: That's about 66 dollars a month. Now, for 66 dollars, you could buy how many pounds of good chicken, or eggs, or any of the other high value proteins that would have all of that in there? Shit man, give me an extra 66 bucks a month (not counting the milk that you have to use to mix the protein powder) and I'm buying my happy ass enough Brazilian chicken thighs (9 bucks for a 5 pound bag here in Japan) to stuff me up to super-sized.

What seems like a "small bit" in the supplement world adds up when compared to what you can do with real food.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Not trying to come off as a jerk Jay, but think of it this way: That's about 66 dollars a month. Now, for 66 dollars, you could buy how many pounds of good chicken, or eggs, or any of the other high value proteins that would have all of that in there? Shit man, give me an extra 66 bucks a month (not counting the milk that you have to use to mix the protein powder) and I'm buying my happy ass enough Brazilian chicken thighs (9 bucks for a 5 pound bag here in Japan) to stuff me up to super-sized.

What seems like a "small bit" in the supplement world adds up when compared to what you can do with real food.
You do not sound jerky at all sir, no worries.

As I mentioned I am going to stop taking the protein powder in the morning and try to force myself to eat a little chicken in the morning (I have 0 appetite that time of day) to make up for the 50 grams of protein I will be missing. The creatine and BCAA I take is only 16 bucks a month and as far as I know cant be replaced by food?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
They work for what they are, supplements. To supplement an already good exercise and nutrition program. What happens is people get this placebo effect with these supps and when they are not on them they "feel" different. No you dont, you just think you do. I will put some artificial flavored powder in a shaker cup fill it with water and give it to you and call it a BCAA and you wont notice any difference. REAL BCAAs are not common.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
The creatine and BCAA I take is only 16 bucks a month and as far as I know cant be replaced by food?
They have to be able to be replaced by food or theyd be worthless right? srs question.

Also eating hearty in the morning can take some getting used to especially if you grew up in a home where cereal and toast was the norm for breakfast

I lucked out by growing up on curry/stew etc and rice for breakfast but moved out and started eating cereal and toast in the morning and it took a few weeks to get back into heavy stuff for breakfast

sausages/steak and eggs, try that in the AM with hot sauce

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Also I reckon I could write a book on bulking on a budget, here's the thing though, high protein calorie rich foods are all pretty cheap

Brown meat chicken IE thighs and drumsticks, rice, milk, budget/economy BBQ steaks, root veggies, canned tuna, oats etc arent budget bulking foods theyre just budget foods. Might be different in America but those are literally the cheapest foods here in Australia.

Get yourself a rice cooker and always have rice made, learn to slow cook budget cuts of meat which when cooked right kill all the premium cuts anyway, freeze your milk when its on special etc getting way off track but you should aim to do one shop per week for food, towards the end of the cycle you will be slumming it but youre not alone mate Im struggling over here too with two kids, two mortgages and a single income.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Agree with everyone else. I only use supplements when I'm cutting weight. Aside from that, eat real food.