Belfort vs Wideman (poll)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Belfort vs Wideman who wins

• Belfort

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Wideman

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
That wasn't me, that was teamquestnorth @TeamSerraLongo my comment was about the leg break itself was a lucky break for Chris that ended a fight he was winning. Again full credit to his game plan, if he would've called them leg check on the record prior to the fight then I'd say nothing.
so it was. my apologies. i hope he can enlighten us as to how weidman was lucky twice before.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I think someone has been tampering with the poll or there has been some sort of vote glitch anamoly.

When I went to bed last night, Vitor had a commanding lead.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
so it was. my apologies. i hope he can enlighten us as to how weidman was lucky twice before.
No problem man. I honestly think that Weidman just has Silvas number and that those losses fucked him up going forward. Its one thing for a dominant champ to lose and then come back to avenge and keep the streak going like GSP but I don't see AS from the Matrix coming back.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
that's not luck still. he checked a kick, like he'd drilled a lot after the first fight. no luck involved in that, just skill.
Bas Rutten on "lucky punch"-
"If you throw a punch, and your intention is for it to land, and it does, when does the luck occur?"

I'd apply that same logic here.
"If you check a leg kick with the intention of damaging/hurting the opponent so he doesn't do it again, when does the luck occur"?

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
"If you throw a punch, and your intention is for it to land, and it does, when does the luck occur?"

"If you check a leg kick with the intention of damaging/hurting the opponent so he doesn't do it again, when does the luck occur"?
well put
joker-clap.gif

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I'd say it occures when the results of the technique far surpasses the intent. Kick was checked as he drilled in order to make AS hesitant to keep throwing it. When his leg broke in half ending the fight I'd say luck was on his side because there's no way Chris or his team would of expected that exact result.

When Seth P KOd Kimbo that was pretty lucky. Yes he threw a punch in hopes of hurting him but if you're backing up and toss out a jab I'm thinking that a KO isn't the result you expect, probably looking to create space or setup something.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I agree with this statement and most of what Bas says. I don't think it applies here though. If we saw a pattern of checking kicks was breaking all sorts of legs then sure but we don't. In training if you drill a punch to hurt and you do this with success in a fight then perfect. If you do the same punch and the result isn't just causing pain but you finish the fight and cause a once in a life time injury that almost retires a GOAT contender I say some luck was at play.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I'd say it occures when the results of the technique far surpasses the intent. Kick was checked as he drilled in order to make AS hesitant to keep throwing it.
I think the goal of making his opponent hesitant to keep throwing it was a success, don't you agree?

When his leg broke in half ending the fight I'd say luck was on his side
But when was the moment it(luck) occurred?

there's no way Chris or his team would of expected that exact result..
When Longo is teaching the leg check, do you think he failed to mention that a possible result is to break the opponents leg?

When Seth P KOd Kimbo that was pretty lucky
When did the luck occur?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think the goal of making his opponent hesitant to keep throwing it was a success, don't you agree?

But when was the moment it(luck) occurred?

When Longo is teaching the leg check, do you think he failed to mention that a possible result is to break the opponents leg?

When did the luck occur?
1) This is kind of my point, he planned to make AS rethink the kick and got much more than he planned, I consider that some luck. The luck occurred when the technique that was drilled to defend an attack resulted in a finish and an extremely rare injury.

2) Unless somebody here trains at that camp I can't speak to what is talked about but its very possible. I highly doubt the talk of that particular injury was discussed IMO.

3) Same answer for Seth. I really doubt that his intentions when throwing a jab while backing up was to end the fight in a KO. The luck happened when he got more then he expected. How many other fighters have accomplished a similar sequence with the same result? Probably some but its not normal by any means

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I don't disagree completely with what you're saying La Paix @BirdWatcher I just think a better term you're looking for is "surpassed expectations" not "luck".

If you insist that it was luck, then I ask again, specifically when did the luck occur? When Chris thought of checking? When Chris' leg lifted? When Anderson started to throw the kick? When the two collided? When the leg snapped? When Anderson fell in agony?

Specifically when did luck intervine?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't disagree completely with what you're saying La Paix @BirdWatcher I just think a better term you're looking for is "surpassed expectations" not "luck".

If you insist that it was luck, then I ask again, specifically when did the luck occur? When Chris thought of checking? When Chris' leg lifted? When Anderson started to throw the kick? When the two collided? When the leg snapped? When Anderson fell in agony?

Specifically when did luck intervine?
I say luck intervened when AS leg broke ending the fight. I don't want to make this about semantics of wording as I don't think this topic can be universally agreed on obviously and its just on how one sees things unfold and create an opinion on it. If some think that what happened was the result of pure skill and Chris planned on those events taking place in the way they did then its tough to say sorry you're just wrong. In my last post a did say specifically when the luck occurred as well. If we had seen this type of check leading to a break on many more occasions I'd leave it at that but because it was a very rare scenario I have a hard time thinking it was business as usual after a good camp.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We already know what the outcome of the fight will be. I'm more interested in voting in a poll guessing what Weidman's excuse for losing will be.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I say luck intervened when AS leg broke ending the fight. I don't want to make this about semantics of wording as I don't think this topic can be universally agreed on obviously and its just on how one sees things unfold and create an opinion on it. If some think that what happened was the result of pure skill and Chris planned on those events taking place in the way they did then its tough to say sorry you're just wrong. In my last post a did say specifically when the luck occurred as well. If we had seen this type of check leading to a break on many more occasions I'd leave it at that but because it was a very rare scenario I have a hard time thinking it was business as usual after a good camp.
“[My trainer] Ray Longo actually broke a guy’s leg like that in the gym by putting the knee right on that shin when he kicked, just by following [the kick] up slowly,” Weidman said. “It’s not really going shin-to-shin, but getting your knee on the shin."-Weidman

“When he landed that kick on my knee, I knew I had checked it [well],” said Weidman. “I thought he would at least be in pain, but when he put his foot back down, and I saw his leg roll up, I knew the fight was over and he wouldn’t get back up. It was a crazy ending.”-Weidman

Checking a leg kick has a purpose. Breaking the leg isn't always the purpose, I give you that. But I think "crazy ending" is more accurate than "lucky ending".

You do have a point in that it wasn't luck that he checked the kick and the intent was to hurt the opponent, but perhaps there was luck in the results.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
“[My trainer] Ray Longo actually broke a guy’s leg like that in the gym by putting the knee right on that shin when he kicked, just by following [the kick] up slowly,” Weidman said. “It’s not really going shin-to-shin, but getting your knee on the shin."-Weidman

“When he landed that kick on my knee, I knew I had checked it [well],” said Weidman. “I thought he would at least be in pain, but when he put his foot back down, and I saw his leg roll up, I knew the fight was over and he wouldn’t get back up. It was a crazy ending.”-Weidman

Checking a leg kick has a purpose. Breaking the leg isn't always the purpose, I give you that. But I think "crazy ending" is more accurate than "lucky ending".

You do have a point in that it wasn't luck that he checked the kick and the intent was to hurt the opponent, but perhaps there was luck in the results.
Good find on the Quote.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Weidman ground control dominance

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Good find on the Quote.
In all honesty I love debating with people and in this particular argument about "luck", I have always been right before when using the Bas Rutten quote/logic. That being said, I spent like 10 minutes trying to find articles or video of Longo telling Joe Rogan immediately after their first fight that Chris needs to check the kicks.

What happened, is the man himself, Ray Longo pretty much shared your opinion which made me re-think my angle. For the first time, I guess I have to say that perhaps luck was involved, and to pinpoint when it happened, was when the bone snapped I wrecken.

Anyways, good debating BW.