Bellator 145: Emmanuel Sanchez, From the Roots to the Fruits under Duke Roufus.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
Bellator 145: Emmanuel Sanchez, From the Roots to the Fruits under Duke Roufus.
11/3/2015

Emmanuel Sanchez (Photo Credit: Bellator MMA)

If you ever get the chance to speak with Emmanuel Sanchez (11-2), within a short amount of time you will quickly discover there is a uniqueness about him and the way he thinks. Throughout the course of our conversation, reoccurring words like champion, legacy, and gold passed in and out of his dialogue as well as another critical reoccurring term: hard work. It didn’t take long to surmise I was speaking to a young, hungry Roufusport fighter who dreams and thinks in only one way: big. For Sanchez, not only does he one day aspire to be an MMA featherweight champion and Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion, he also wants to achieve the American dream and become something more iconic:

“I want to be the Oscar Dela Hoya of MMA. A champion in and out of the ring. That was Dela Hoya. That’s what I am looking to be. Not just for Mexican kids here in the United States, but all over the world. Work to achieve the American dream. That’s why we are in this great country. I’m proud that I know both languages. I keep my ties to both. It’s my life. It’s my culture. I’m blessed that I have this opportunity to go and pursue these dreams in this great country.”

With this being Bellator’s 4th straight card broadcast in partnership with ESPN Deportes, Sanchez will certainly have his chance to grow his name in the Hispanic community on Friday. While Sanchez has lofty goals and dreams, his mentality is one also grounded in an unparalleled work ethic on display daily in the gym at Roufusport. It’s a tireless dedication to his craft as a martial artist which has earned him a lesser known nickname than his “El Matador” fight moniker: Overtime.

“[Roufus] said I am the hardest worker he has ever seen. I’ve had other teammates say that too. I don’t toot my own horn; I’m not trying to be full of myself or anything. I just know what I want and what I am trying to accomplish. So there is no place I would rather be than in the gym. If you’re not in, you’re in the way. I know that I am all in, and I know what I want. I’m hunting for it. I’m going to get it.”

For Sanchez, hard work is nothing new to him and his family. After all, his parents left Mexico for Illinois in order to provide him a better life so that he could one day achieve the American dream he feels he is living today. It’s an American dream he feels is rooted in a saying found in his Mexican roots: Ponte Las Pilas (Put Your Batteries On).

“That means always go forward no matter what you gotta do in anything in life. You have to go out and you have to earn it. If you know what you are worth, then go get what you are worth. Nothing was handed to me or my parents. My family, nothing was handed down to us. We had to go out and earn and work for it, everything that we have. I’ve appreciated the struggle. I know what it is like. I’m very blessed, grateful to be in this position that I am in. And to continue to stay here, you’ve just got to keep working harder”.

In his last two fights, Sanchez’ “Ponte Las Pilas” mantra has been put to good use as an inadvertent clash of heads against Henry Corrales and Pat Curran forced him to fight much of those bouts with just one eye:

“I can’t tell you how terrible that is. It’s painful. Obviously I don’t have a mirror in there. I didn’t have a big screen to see the damage. I knew that it did impair my vision because you have blood, sweat, and Vaseline and everything running down your face getting in your eye. It’s painful. That’s actually the same kind of situation I had with Pat Curran after the clash of heads. That’s wild. Two fights in a row I fought with one eye. The way I see it, that’s just sometimes the way it is.”

Photo Credit: Emmanuel Sanchez Facebook Page
November 6th against Justin Lawrence (8-2), Sanchez comes in with the confidence of a fighter who has won 7 of his last 8 fights and remains incredibly active in the Bellator cage, fighting for his 5th time in the past 13 months come Friday:

“My record is my resume, and I want highlight reel finishes. I want a record of finishes. Every time I look at it on Sherdog or someone looks me up, whether it be a fight promoter they see it and they go ok this kid is a finisher. He is looking to get the job done. That’s what the fans want to see, and that is what I want. I’m not a coaster. I’m not a play it safe, play it easy. I’m always looking for the finish. I’m not going to give Justin Lawrence the light of day. He is a strong fighter, but I’m looking to go out and be stronger. I’m going to meet him in the middle and take care of business.”

Heading into his fight against Lawrence, it is clear Sanchez attributes his run of success inside the Bellator cage to three main things: his mother, his faith in God, and Coach Duke Roufus:

“My mother is my guardian angel, and she’s sent from heaven. She is here for what a great reason: to be such a great mother to me. I would not have anything if it wasn’t for her. She raised a fighter. She taught me how to be a fighter. The greatest gift she has given me is always keeping me close to God, and that no matter what trials I go through in life or no matter what happens that I always have my faith and my Savior to look upon, and what a great blessing that is.”

Emmanuel Sanchez and his mother. (Photo Credit: Emmanuel Sanchez Facebook page)
“I never had a manager or even a head coach until Duke Roufus. So, it’s been great. Prior to Duke, I had to do everything on my own. And man was that difficult. Now that I have Duke, everything has been taken care of. I never knew before how the whole business went as far as MMA and Duke did the same thing for Anthony [Pettis], Sergio [Pettis], Chico Camus, Erick Koch, Pat Berry, you name it. He has worked with all these different guys and gotten there. His thing is take these young, hungry, humble fighters from the roots to the fruits. I wouldn’t be able to have any of this if it wasn’t for Duke. At first my biggest thing was I didn’t want to do the tournament or anything, but when Coach Duke Rufous at the time told me that Scott Coker had taken over, and I’m like of yea wow he ran Strikeforce. What a great president, and I knew how he ran things and did them really well. Duke is great friends with Scott Coker so he told me this would be a great opportunity. He told me it was a good deal, and I told him as long as I stay active and look at that man. I had my one fight last year obviously making my debut and they have sure kept me active. That’s great.”

Emmanuel Sanchez and the team (Photo Credit: Emmanuel Sanchez Facebook)
As for his future in Bellator, Sanchez has one more fight on his contract before he has to make a decision on his future, but feels like the time is ripe to add some new blood to the Bellator featherweight division.

“I know there is a lot of great fighters on the roster, but we have already seen Pitbull versus Straus. This is going to be the third time. We have already seen Pitbull versus Curran. Curran versus Straus. You know, I think it’s time for some new waves to help for other fighters. I think that is what it is right now for me and Justin Lawrence. It’s going to come down to a battle of wills, and I can’t wait to come out on top.”

“I’m kind of in limbo. There is going to be one fight left on my deal, so I am going to see if they [Bellator] want to resign me or the route is to the UFC. We will just have to wait and see. My goal has always been win your fights. Win your fights, and everything else will take care of itself.”

“I’ve had an idea of potentially who they could give me. You got Goiti Yamauchi who’s a great fighter who just won. Bubba Jenkins is fighting Jordan Parsons later this November so the roster is open. Just gotta be ready for them all so I can line them all up, and knock them all down.”

Best of luck Emmanuel at Bellator 145, and thank you so much for your time.

*Emmanuel would like to thank the following sponsors: Iowa Bison, Onnit, Erica Sanchez cleaning company, Next Level Strength and Conditioning, The Wisonsin Athletic Club, Diamond MMA Cups, & Grit Mouthguards.