Bellator 145: Justin Lawrence, Relishing the journey to the top.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
As Justin Lawrence sits backstage at the St. Louis Scottrade Center November 6th and awaits the cue to make his way to the the Bellator cage, there is no question the opportunity for nerves and the magnitude of the moment to overwhelm him will present itself. A younger, less experience Justin Lawrence might have even fallen prey to the anxiety and traps of self doubt which can often creep in unannounced and foil a well trained athlete’s best laid plans for greatness. Yet on this Friday night, remnants of the old Justin will be nothing but a distant memory. Instead, fans will be greeted with the presence of a former Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RDA) featherweight champion and Bellator featherweight contender who has learned to embrace and relish every aspect of the fight experience from a UFC bantamweight champion who never lost his belt in defeat, Dominick Cruz. As a young prospect and former Ultimate Fighter contestant under the tutelage of Team Cruz, Lawrence has continued his relationship with his former coach many years after the show has ended and his run under the UFC banner has drawn to a close. Despite having changed camps from Team Alliance to Power MMA, the words and advice of his former coach will be at the forefront of mind mind come fight night:

“Just embrace everything because we get so wrapped up in the emotions and the feelings of performing good to do I really want to be doing this, or I’m so nervous right now. He [Dominick] really told me to embrace it. When I’m in the back right before my name is getting announced and my mind is going a million places, he will just look at me and tell me breath and embrace it. This is what you live for every day dude. They are about to glorify your name right now and go out and watch you walk to the cage. How awesome is that? How many people would love to be doing this right now? So just embrace all those feelings and everything you are going through. Don’t take it for granted and don’t feel sorry for yourself. Just really embrace it and relish the role.”

In speaking with Justin, at age 25 and 10 professional fights now under his belt, you get the sense a metamorphosis has taken place from “The American Kid” most MMA fans laid eyes on throughout his run on the Ultimate Fighter to the man we see now before us:

“I grew so much since the UFC. I was so young there. I was groomed as a fighter. I only had 4 or 5 fights professionally at that level, and that’s not a lot you know. Now that I have fought those 5 rounds and trained those 5 round fights, I can put in a 12 week camp. I’ve just grown so much as a fighter and how to live as a fighter and athlete. You know, just live it as a lifestyle versus just a hobby. You have got to bring it to another level because these guys you are going against you know they are taking it serious too.”

Since his departure from the UFC after losses to Max Holloway and Daniel Pineda, Lawrence has since rattled off 4 wins in a row which include an RFA title and subsequent defense in addition to having a successful Bellator debut at featherweight against Sean Wilson at Bellator 138. Shortly after his RFA title defense, Justin explains how he ultimately made the choice of re-signing with the UFC or going with new suitor Bellator:

“I had my first defense in the RFA, and that Monday Bellator was hitting me up. You know, they wanted me to sign with them. I was like I still want to see if the UFC have an offer. The UFC called me Thursday, and Bellator just offered me more. They offered me twice as much. So at the end of the day, my dad always told me if you start fighting for money you are fighting for all the wrong reasons, but I kinda got to make a living. I don’t want that added stress of going into a fight where I need to win this fight to pay my rent. Because that is negative energy that I don’t need to be focusing on. I need to be focusing on my opponent and winning the fight. Not worried about if I don’t win this fight I can’t pay rent.”

“Bellator has definitely taken care of me. They definitely have come to the plate and gave me a great contract where it was hard to refuse and that is why I am signed with them. Scott Coker has done a phenomenal job with Bellator and really turning it around. And 145 pound division is getting thicker and thicker every month so that is great too.”

The Rest:

MMABRO.com: - MMABRO: MMA FOR THE THINKING BRO.

fuck tha UG

Oct 26, 2015
The UFC called me Thursday, and Bellator just offered me more. They offered me twice as much.

Yeah but what about that awesome Rebook Gear though?