Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie 3 LIVE Discussion - 2/19/16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Main card
Royce Gracie def. Ken Shamrock via first-round TKO (2:22)
Kimbo Slice def. Dada 5000 via third-round TKO (1:32)
Derek Campos def. Melvin Guillard via second-round TKO (0:32)
Linton Vassell def. Emanuel Newton via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-27 x2)
Emanuel Sanchez def. Daniel Pineda via split decision (28-29, 29-27, 29-28)

Undercard

Justin Wren def. Juan Torres via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Jeremy Mahon def. Davis Sylvester via TKO (R3, 4:22)
C.J. Hancock def. Ruben Esparsa via submission (rear-naked choke) (R3, 1:26)
Adrian Yanez vs. Ryan Hollis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Isaac Villanueva def. Richard Knepp via knockout (R1, 0:42)
Mike Trinh def. Angel Zamora via submission (armbar) (R1, 3:49)
Jason Langellier def. Anthony Ivy via submission (anaconda choke) (R1, 2:09)
Manny Lozoya def. Jacob Norsworthy via submission (guillotine) (R1, 2:33)

Last edited:

RickStorm

Posting Machine
Jan 30, 2015
I have no idea why I'm excited for this lol
Old school MMA guys I suppose, and even Kimbo vs the Dada dude should be interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have no idea why I'm excited for this lol
Old school MMA guys I suppose, and even Kimbo vs the Dada dude should be interesting
Lol I'm hyped for it too man. I dont even care what people say...I wanna see these fights and will enjoy watching them.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
This card could either be super badass or it could end up being Bellators final show.

Who the fuck knows how this ones going down.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
May or may not happen, but it relates to 149 nonetheless. Would love to see it happen though.

Patricky Freire: Melvin Guillard "ducking" me at Bellator 149 in favor of easier paydays.
2/1/2016

Comments

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire & the thrill of victory (Photo Credit: Bellator MMA)

Three minutes. That’s all it took for Patricky “Pitbull” Freire (15-7) to unleash a ferocious left hook which left Ryan Couture (10-4) crumpled and unconscious in a bloody heap on the Bellator 148 cage Friday night in Fresno. Bottled up inside the hellish strike were weeks of anger and frustration boiling over from a controversial split decision victory pulled from Patricky’s clutches and instead awarded to Derek Anderson (13-2) at Bellator 147 just a few weeks prior. As Patricky climbed the Bellator cage in jubilation to soak in the magnitude of the moment, you could sense the feeling of relief washing over him. With one well timed strike, a burden fell from his shoulders as he all but erased the Anderson loss from his memory and once again cemented his status as one of the most feared strikers in the Bellator lightweight division.

“It was the scream of victory from two fights mixed together. It took a lot of weight off my shoulders. I didn't celebrate much because Ryan [Couture] looked bad there, and I was worried, but my feelings were to scream [at] the top of my lungs and run into the crowd. This last defeat left me very angry, stressed. I wasn't [in] the best mood at home. I knew the only thing that would relieve me from that would be to fight soon and get a win. It couldn't have been better the way it happened.”

Patricky Freire and Ryan Couture engage in an exchange of strikes (Photo credit: Bellator MMA)
Shortly after the fight, Patricky was given notice Melvin Guillard (32-15) no longer had an opponent for Bellator 149 as Mike Bronzoulis (18-9-1) was forced to withdraw due to injury. He immediately volunteered his services to Bellator as a last minute replacement. While last minute fights are less than ideal, in Patricky’s mind, his athletic prime is now, and there is no sense in delaying his march to the lightweight belt or the beginning of history.

“I was told after the fight [Guillard’s] opponent got hurt and [was asked] if I'd take the fight against him on February 19th and said yes. If they had told me sooner, I would've called him out on my post fight interview. The current status is that there's no fight. The guy has been in a training camp for months now, has three weeks to prepare specifically for me and says he'll do it in April? He's scared. That fight will never happen. He's been ducking me ever since he joined Bellator. It's too bad, it would be a great fight for the fans. Guess in the end he's a smart guy, it wouldn't end well for him.”

Patricky Freire KO's Ryan Couture at Bellator 148 (Photo Credit: Bellator MMA)
For Patricky, much of his ire towards Guillard is rooted in the manner in which Guillard came into his new promotional home at Bellator last August against Brandon Girtz (14-4).

“Melvin, he comes here, gets dominated and thinks he has the right to choose the time and place for a fight? He should be happy I'm stepping up to fight him on less than three weeks’ notice. He knows I'm a tough opponent for him and that I'm dangerous, I can finish him at any time; that must be the reason he's running away. He knows I have better cardio than him now, that I have a better ground game, better takedowns, and I have the ability to knock him out or finish him at any time. If it hits the ground, it's over. He doesn't have the ground game to hold his own against me. Or maybe he wasn't taking his opponent and training camp seriously and thinks he needs more time to face someone like me.”

Photo credit: Bellator MMA
In the end, Patricky feels Guillard may be looking for easier payday fights in Bellator while insulating himself from risk. It’s a tactic Patricky doesn’t neccesarily blame Guillard for given his long and storied pro career spanning nearly 50 fights and multiple organizations. In the meantime, Patricky is back home in Brazil training and just waiting for the next Bellator call to throw down and move that much closer to a title shot against Will Brooks (17-1).

“I'm back home now, but still waiting for him to man up and accept the fight. If he doesn't, you'll probably see me back in March at featherweight. Don't talk like you're the king of the jungle if you're not up to the task. [Guillard] talked about coming here and becoming champion, but he already got a bad taste of reality, and he knows the top guys here are as much trouble as the ones he's dealt with before.”

Bellator fans can look for Patricky’s next Bellator fight announcement soon in the coming days. With the addition of Benson Henderson (23-5) to the Bellator roster and an April Rizin event looming, it’s a good time to be Patricky “Pitbull” Freire.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Based on the IRS trouble reports & that vid of Royce hitting pads, I hate to say it but old Chicken & Steak should probably be a heavy favorite here.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
"Patricky is back home in Brazil training and just waiting for the next Bellator call to throw down and move that much closer to a title shot against Will Brooks (17-1)."

After sleeping Couture like that, they should be booking Brooks vs Pitbull asap.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"Patricky is back home in Brazil training and just waiting for the next Bellator call to throw down and move that much closer to a title shot against Will Brooks (17-1)."

After sleeping Couture like that, they should be booking Brooks vs Pitbull asap.
Hope they do. I think Brooks wins it.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
A little soon for Ontiveros? He just had his jaw broken at the end of October...

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
Comcast took Spike TV away from me. Anybody know how else I can watch on line? I rent so I can't change providers until I move.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
Bellator 149 Related:

Not Forgotten: Justin Wren eyes unfinished business with Kimbo Slice, London TED talk in March.
2/12/2016

Comments

Josh Connor
As Justin “The Big Pygmy” Wren (11-2) makes his walk down to the Bellator 149 cage February 19th in Houston to fight Juan Torres (3-3), he will take one last sip of bottled water before he enters the cage. While the action may go unappreciated by many of the thousands of American fans in attendance, Justin knows the privilege of consuming clean water. Its just one of the many life lessons he has learned over the last five years serving the Mbuti Pygmy people deep in the jungles of the Congo as a Christian missionary.

For Justin, the dramatic life change came many months after his stint on the Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights. Despite demonstrating the skills necessary to compete with many cast-mates who would go on to have stellar UFC careers (Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione, etc), Justin left the sport of MMA behind to find God’s true purpose for his life and attempt to fill a deep void in his soul.

“I was a 21 or 22 year old, basically a depressed drug addict. I snuck pills into the [Ultimate Fighter] house. I got drunk like crazy in the house. I was a shy, quiet kid but I basically drank myself to sleep.”
Struggling with addiction and depression, Justin found purpose in serving the Pygmy people who historically have suffered indescribable suffering, impoverishment, cannibalization, and enslavement at the hands of rival groups in the Congo. The breaking point for Justin came as he held a young, dying boy in his arms named Andibo who ultimately was refused medical care and subsequently died of a parasite related illness resulting from unclean drinking water.

From that moment forward, Justin dedicating himself to creating a way in which he could break the chain of suffering for his new found Pygmy family. What ultimately resulted was born out of his own suffering and faith: Fight for the Forgotten, an idea rooted in loving the unloved Pygmy people by providing them clean water wells and teaching them farming practices.

"My personal faith has played a huge part in it. It just keeps me really grounded and really at peace whenever I shouldn’t be. I had malaria; it almost killed me. I lost 33 pounds in five days. I was vomiting red and green, which is blood and bile. Whenever I finally got diagnosed with malaria after four times missing it, they said I was hours away from being in a coma. The strange thing for me was I had peace the entire time. I counted it a blessing to suffer like they suffer and not just have it as a statistic that comes in one ear and out the other or to just see it an be able to empathize with it. Through my faith, I have experienced everything over in the Congo."

"Whenever our team of 18 people saw I got sick with malaria, half of them said he will never come back, and this whole project is done. Whenever I came back and said ‘let’s get going’ and I didn’t take a trip back to the U.S., I just took 3 or 4 weeks to recover in Congo eating rice and beans and potatoes, they knew we are not giving up. This is a fight. Sometimes in fights, you get knocked down and you have to get back up. For me, my faith kept me there."
As with many good men, behind them is an even better woman providing the love and support needed to achieve the unthinkable: Emily, Justin’s wife.

"We met right after our first trip; our first conversation was about Fight for the Forgotten the title. She thought it sounded good. Her first camping trip was in the Congo sleeping under the twigs and leaves, literally on the dirt having roaches crawl across her on her first nice. She has been really supportive. There has been tough times, but something I see as an answered prayer was she was saying ‘Justin, I know you are chosen for this; you belong here. This is your life path. You have your own family here, your own name. They call you the Man Who Loves Us.’ Three days later the Chief [and two other tribal members] sat her down and said we want to give you a name. Her name [they gave her] translates to ‘Chosen, Belongs Here’. If that is not an answer to prayer, I don’t know what is."
For Fight for the Forgotten, Justin views himself as the spark plug for the initiative, whereas the heavy lifting is done by his 18 Congo staff which serve as the engine of the operation in creating new water wells for the Pygmy people. After this fight, Justin intends to go back to the Congo in March in an attempt to fire them back up and hopefully bring with him additional monies donated from the exposure he receives for his fight at Bellator 149. With the average cost to create a new well deep in the Congo running around $2,500, Justin knows his performance on the pre-lim card must deliver if he hopes to have his fight spliced into the main card broadcast on SPIKE which will garner millions of viewers to his cause:

"A lot of times, [Bellator] will take the most exciting prelim [fight], and throw that on the main card. So, if I go in there and do my job and get on [Juan Torres] and fight like I used to fight then I think I have a really good shot at getting on [Spike] and getting in front of the millions of people and telling people about the Pygmies."
With a serious training camp now under his belt working with both Team Takedownand Grudge Training Center, Justin can feel shades of his old fighting form returning piece by piece. Just who he calls for next if victorious inside the cage next Friday may surprise you.

"I’m making my way back, and there is definitely some contenders out there and maybe I need another fight or two. But, that doesn’t mean it needs to be against a Josh Burns or Juan Torres. Maybe it needs to be against a Kimbo Slice or Dada [5000] or someone that has a name so that there is a lot of eyeballs on it so we can do a whole lot of good."

"I felt like Kimbo escaped me in EliteXC. I know my name was in the hat for that. Past management, coaches, and training partners know my name was in the hat. And then, in the Ultimate Fighter I got excited. The guys on my team know that ultimately maybe producers, and Dana [White], and other people got Roy [Nelson] in there but I was the first one that was supposed to test the waters with Kimbo. So, I feel we are both in Bellator. Maybe he doesn’t want to take that kind of fight; maybe he just wants to fight Ken Shamrock and Dada [5000] and be done with it. But, if he wants to fight me I would absolutely love that fight."
Bellator fans in the UK can look to attend a TEDx [an independently organized TED event] Talk given by Justin Wren March 5th in London at Warwick University. Originally slated to fight at Bellator 151 March 4th, Justin moved the fight three weeks earlier so he could take part in this TED Talk experience.

In the end, Justin Wren looks to have a big year in 2016 for both Fight for the Forgotten and his Bellator heavyweight aspirations.

"Now that my life is right, I think with time… Right now, I would be a fool to say I am not building myself back to the fighter that I was before I left, so I know I am doing that. Once I am there, I will be able to hopefully springboard just like those [TUF] guys have. I’m not coming back as a publicity stunt or to just shine a light on Fight for the Forgotten, although that is so much motivation and a passion of mine. It is not to just be a flash in the pan. I’d love to be a real contender."