Bellator 204 heads to Sioux Falls, S.D., with Caldwell-Lahat, Storley-Matthews

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

For the first time, Bellator will set up shop in South Dakota later this summer.

Bellator 204 is set for Aug. 17 at Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, the promotion today announced. The main card will air on Paramount following prelims on MMAjunkie.

In the headliner, bantamweight champion Darrion Caldwell (12-1 MMA, 9-1 BMMA) will move up to featherweight for a non-title bout against Noad Lahat (12-3 MMA, 3-1 BMMA). In the co-feature, South Dakota native Logan Storley (8-0 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) will put his unbeaten record on the line against welterweight A.J. Matthews (9-7 MMA, 5-5 BMMA).

Caldwell won Bellator’s bantamweight title in October 2017 with a decision over Eduardo Dantas. In March, he defended it with a first-round submission of Leandro Higo. Now he’ll move back to featherweight for the first time since October 2014. His 135-pound title won’t be on the line against Lahat in what for now may amount to a stay-busy fight.

Lahat has won three of his four fights for Bellator since signing after a 2-2 stint in the UFC. He has submissions of Scott Cleve and Lloyd Carter, and most recently took a decision from Jeremiah Labiano at Bellator 188 in his native Israel to bounce back from a decision loss to Henry Corrales.

Storley stayed perfect in April with a decision win over Joaquin Buckley at Bellator 197. He’s no stranger to the Sanford Pentagon. He fought there for his pro debut at RFA 29 nearly three years ago and picked up a first-round knockout agianst Bill Mees. Two other fights there have resulted in stoppages, as well.

Matthews in January snapped a rought four-fight skid that included three straight Bellator losses. He took a split call from Kendall Grove at Bellator 193 to get back on track after losses in the promotion to Andre Fialho, Hisaki Kato and Ben Reiter.

Full story here:

Bellator 204 heads to Sioux Falls, S.D., with Caldwell-Lahat, Storley-Matthews

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
So... I'm good with fighters fighting in other weight classes but this seems weird to me. Just seems a little soon for Caldwell to be moving up for a random fight. The same could be said for Rory/Moose but at least that's a between two big name fighters and champs so it's a bit of a "superfight."

Should be fun. Just odd timing.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Storely vs Mathews is a good step up for storely. give him this and another, then he could be ready for a title shot.

caldwell should completely handle lahat.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Storely vs Mathews is a good step up for storely. give him this and another, then he could be ready for a title shot.

caldwell should completely handle lahat.
Storley is an animal but I hope they bring him up a bit slower.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
So... I'm good with fighters fighting in other weight classes but this seems weird to me. Just seems a little soon for Caldwell to be moving up for a random fight. The same could be said for Rory/Moose but at least that's a between two big name fighters and champs so it's a bit of a "superfight."

Should be fun. Just odd timing.
My guess is that if he wins this, they let him leap frog the line at FW and fight Patricio Pitbull for the title. Caldwell had that altercation with Pitbull after Bellator 195 after Caldwell beat Pitbull protégé Leondro Higo.

Start the clip at the 1:15 mark.

View: https://youtu.be/Im6WfNQmC3g

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
My guess is that if he wins this, they let him leap frog the line at FW and fight Patricio Pitbull for the title. Caldwell had that altercation with Pitbull after Bellator 195 after Caldwell beat Pitbull protégé Leondro Higo.

Start the clip at the 1:15 mark.

View: https://youtu.be/Im6WfNQmC3g
Yeah I remember all that but I'm mainly thinking of the fact that he only has 1 title defense and there are some talented cats at 135. So having him move up on a random card for a non-title fight just feels strange and forced.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Yeah I remember all that but I'm mainly thinking of the fact that he only has 1 title defense and there are some talented cats at 135. So having him move up on a random card for a non-title fight just feels strange and forced.
There's not a clear number 1 contender though. This is him staying busy while someone becomes the clear next in line. Like what Bader is doing.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Storley is an animal but I hope they bring him up a bit slower.
I feel you. I honestly don't think he is too far out in terms of talent, experience, ability. He trains at a good camp and has a great amateur wrestling background. My problem is the fact that he is not as well known as he should be. Bellator needs to stick him in a couple co-main spots and really push him. he could be a decent name. They are off to a good start with his next booking. He should have a decent hometown crowd.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Is it true that Gallagher is going to fight Rick Bandejas at 135 on this event?
Having Gallagher on this card would make no sense. If they want to give him a push in the states, It should be on the coasts, especially the east coast like New York and such.

Ranger

Nov 17, 2015
It has already been reported that he is going to be on the event, they just haven't announced an opponent. He is making his 135 debut.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
It has already been reported that he is going to be on the event, they just haven't announced an opponent. He is making his 135 debut.
If that's true, the winner should get next shot at Caldwell