Bellator adds Mike Goldberg and Mauro Ranallo to commentary team

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015

When the UFC unceremoniously let go of Mike Goldberg in December 2016, it was unclear what exactly would be the next step for the longtime MMA play-by-play announcer. But, for fans who miss the particular commentary flavor that Goldberg brought to mixed martial arts, there’s good news. He’s found a new home with Bellator.

The Spike TV promotion announced, via press release, that Goldberg would be joining their commentary team alongside veteran boxing, pro-wrestling, and MMA play-by-play analyst Mauro Ranallo. Ranallo is coming off his own promotional split, having recently left the WWE amid speculation and controversy over a “bullying” scandal involving commentary partner John "Bradshaw" Layfield. Ranallo later denied that rumors of bullying had anything to do with his parting ways with the pro-wrestling promotion.

Ranallo made his name in MMA working the booth for Pride FC events, eventually becoming one of the principal PBP announcers for Showtime, and their EliteXC and Strikeforce promotions. He and Goldberg will join Jimmy Smith, Jenn Brown, and Chael Sonnen as members of the promotion’s broadcast team. This following the recent departure of Sean Grande earlier this week.

Bellator’s press release states that Goldberg and Ranallo have signed “multi-event broadcast agreements beginning with Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva and Bellator 18: Davis vs. Bader,” both taking place on June 24th at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY. Veteran MMA reporter Josh Gross offered further details (via Twitter), that Goldberg will be on play-by-play duties, while Ranallo will work as the desk analyst.

Bellator 180 PPV to feature Goldberg and Ranallo on broadcast team

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

When the UFC unceremoniously let go of Mike Goldberg in December 2016, it was unclear what exactly would be the next step for the longtime MMA play-by-play announcer. But, for fans who miss the particular commentary flavor that Goldberg brought to mixed martial arts, there’s good news. He’s found a new home with Bellator.

The Spike TV promotion announced, via press release, that Goldberg would be joining their commentary team alongside veteran boxing, pro-wrestling, and MMA play-by-play analyst Mauro Ranallo. Ranallo is coming off his own promotional split, having recently left the WWE amid speculation and controversy over a “bullying” scandal involving commentary partner John "Bradshaw" Layfield. Ranallo later denied that rumors of bullying had anything to do with his parting ways with the pro-wrestling promotion.

Ranallo made his name in MMA working the booth for Pride FC events, eventually becoming one of the principal PBP announcers for Showtime, and their EliteXC and Strikeforce promotions. He and Goldberg will join Jimmy Smith, Jenn Brown, and Chael Sonnen as members of the promotion’s broadcast team. This following the recent departure of Sean Grande earlier this week.

Bellator’s press release states that Goldberg and Ranallo have signed “multi-event broadcast agreements beginning with Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva and Bellator 18: Davis vs. Bader,” both taking place on June 24th at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY. Veteran MMA reporter Josh Gross offered further details (via Twitter), that Goldberg will be on play-by-play duties, while Ranallo will work as the desk analyst.

Bellator 180 PPV to feature Goldberg and Ranallo on broadcast team
thats awesome. he has good positive energy. im a fan =)

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Goldbergs Voice is a staple of MMA...will instantly give a great feel to his broadcasts

And Mauro is just great energy and a real hardcore fan of the sport...Great guy

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
This thread is a perfect example of why this is the only place I go for MMA . The other place would be shitting all over both of these talented, passionate guys.
I've been a Mauro fan for over 20 years(Stampede Wrestling revival in the early-mid 90s) and am looking forward to hearing Goldie again, too. I wonder what he'll be like without Rogan cutting him off and belittling his opinions and without having the UFC producer chirping in his ear constantly about the next plug.

Bellator is getting more intriguing all the time.

hit4me4

Given out tokes like it ain't no thing
Oct 24, 2015
Crap, I was hoping that meant the end of the Chael sctickfest. If they HAVE to do a three announcer set up I'd so much want it to be smith, Goldie, and ranallo. Smith doesn't get to shine with Chael trying to Chael it up on broadcasts.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Seems like a full house of play by play guys. From what I read, Mauro's contract with WWE isn't up until mid-August so I'm assuming that means he won't do Bellator NYC?

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Seems like a full house of play by play guys. From what I read, Mauro's contract with WWE isn't up until mid-August so I'm assuming that means he won't do Bellator NYC?
According to the article linked above...

Bellator’s press release states that Goldberg and Ranallo have signed “multi-event broadcast agreements beginning with Bellator NYC: Sonnen vs. Silva and Bellator 18: Davis vs. Bader,”

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Crap, I was hoping that meant the end of the Chael sctickfest. If they HAVE to do a three announcer set up I'd so much want it to be smith, Goldie, and ranallo. Smith doesn't get to shine with Chael trying to Chael it up on broadcasts.
Totally agree based off that one I heard them on recently. I usually audiobook something and mute the tv. And Im a big fan of chaEl as a person. But I've become of fan of smith as a color commentator lately and he wasn't able to shine with chaEl eating up time

F*K Censorship

get what you can, then take the rest
Oct 27, 2015
Grande wasnt bad but Goldberg is well known to even casual fans. I'll be ordering the ppv reguardless but now i get to watch Goldberg say Joe instead of Jimmy atleast once im sure.