Bellator bidding for UFC free agent and 'TUF' winner Ryan Bader – but not Lorenz Larkin

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

Bellator will soon make a bid for one high-profile UFC free agent. But its interest in another apparently has waned.

The Viacom-owned promotion will make light heavyweight Ryan Bader (22-5 MMA, 15-5 UFC) an offer within the next two weeks, according to a senior Bellator official.

The fighter currently is within the matching period of his UFC deal, meaning the industry-leading promotion has the right to match any offer made by another promoter.

Meanwhile, negotiations have come to a halt over welterweight Lorenz Larkin after the two sides could not agree on his asking price, the official said.

Bader and Larkin’s reps did not respond to requests for comment.

Bader, 33, closed out his UFC deal with athird-round stoppage of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in a rematch of a 2010 meeting that ended in a unanimous decision. Afterward, he said it “makes sense” to stay with the UFC, but he wanted to see what the promotion had to offer for a renewal.

A title fight with champ Daniel Cormier was top on his list, of course.

“I’ve fought everybody in this division and been consistent,” Bader said. “I think I’ve won seven of my last eight fights, so I feel like I’m hitting my stride now.”

Bader stands at No. 5 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light heavyweight rankings. He holds wins over former champs Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, among other top names.

Larkin, the No. 9 fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, has won his past two UFC fights, outpointing standout Jorge Masvidal and stopping Neil Magny after a split-call loss to Albert Tumenov a year ago at UFC 195.

Inexplicably, the 30-year-old Larkin has moved up two spots in the UFC’s official rankings despite his inactivity. He joked about the move on Twitter, writing “You want to know how G I am? I moved from #8 to #6 without even fighting.”

The rankings bump is encouraging news after a long period of waiting. As of this past month, Larkin had entertained interest from the UFC, Bellator and Rizin FF, but no concrete offers had come his way, he said in an interview with MMAjunkie Radio.

“It’s not that big of a deal,” he said. “It’s just the time frame of everything. I hope I can get it wrapped up (by the holidays), as long as I know these certain people are going to throw offers.”

Full story here: Bellator bidding for UFC free agent and 'TUF' winner Ryan Bader – but not Lorenz Larkin

MoomBah

Posting Machine
Feb 16, 2015
I wouldnt tune in to watch Bader vs anyone in Bellators 205 division. You better believe my panties would get wet for Lorenz vs Rory, Lima, Daley, Ward etc. Id put MVP on the list....but lets be honest here, Lorenz isnt tomato can enough for Bellator to make that fight.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Debatable. In Bellator's case, no way. Their WW division is their strongest, but they could use some guys at LHW, especially a guy who has a win over their current champion.
Bellator (and the UFC) need talent and depth at 205 so I get the interest in Bader.

Larkin is so much more exciting and is exactly the type of fighter that Coker typically wants. It's a bit confusing but maybe Larkin priceed himself out. Or maybe he's a bit cunty to deal with. Who knows?

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
Bellator (and the UFC) need talent and depth at 205 so I get the interest in Bader.

Larkin is so much more exciting and is exactly the type of fighter that Coker typically wants. It's a bit confusing but maybe Larkin priceed himself out. Or maybe he's a bit cunty to deal with. Who knows?
For sure. I took "the two sides could not agree on his asking price" to mean he wanted more than they were willing to give.

Ranger

Nov 17, 2015
Larkin isn't fast enough to catch MVP.
I honestly dont even see how you can possibly say this given how horrible he looked against Fernando Gonzalez and has never faced a top tier striker in his entire career or even beat high level opponent. Lorenz is a very good striker, and has defeated good strikers and has beat ranked fighters where as MVP hasnt.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
I honestly dont even see how you can possibly say this given how horrible he looked against Fernando Gonzalez and has never faced a top tier striker in his entire career or even beat high level opponent. Lorenz is a very good striker, and has defeated good strikers and has beat ranked fighters where as MVP hasnt.
Hasn't yet. He will. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Larkin would be way better for bellator...I love that the 70 pound division keeps getting deeper..

M

member 3289

Lol smart move by Bellator. Wow.

And yeah Larkin would beat the absolute shit out of MVP.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Article is wrong. I think it was gross who tweeted that Bellator was going to make larkin another offer a couple days after he tweeted about them making bader an offer.

Also, Larkin would beat the crap out of mvp

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
I like how everyone's judging whether Bellator is being smart or dumb about Larkin, when no one has the slightest idea what kind of money Larkin asks for.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Surprising since Larkin was a Strikeforce standout under Coker ... and Bader's fights are 90% Nyquil.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Ryan Bader expects to see Bellator contract in ‘next day or two,’ likes the ‘opportunities’ there
Ryan Bader expects to see Bellator contract in ‘next day or two’
“I have a Bellator offer coming either today or tomorrow,” he said on Monday during an appearance on The MMA Hour. “We kind of know the particulars. I went out and met with Scott Coker and the Bellator boys and I liked what they had to say, and I liked what they were about. So we’re going through that process. That being said, the UFC has the right to match. It’s kind of in a weird place. I’m super-excited to be in this position. I’m in a great position.”

Bader said it was an adventure to head down to Sao Paulo to fight his contract out, knowing that his 20-fight UFC stint could be coming to an end.

“I was going into that [Nogueira] fight…I was soaking up every single minute,” he said. “I started off, what, four or five or six fights with local promotions and whatnot, then I went onto the The Ultimate Fighter and ended up winning The Ultimate Fighter and into the UFC and had 20 fights in the UFC. I traveled the world and everything, and going into that fight it was a very exciting time. You know, I was fighting Lil Nog down in Brazil. I was fighting my contract out. I knew it, everybody knew it. So I was kind of soaking in every little moment potentially being my last fight in the UFC.”

Bader ended up finishing Nogueira via a third-round TKO, which parlayed nicely with his knockout of Ilir Latifi just two months earlier at UFC Fight Night 93 in Hamburg, Germany. His only loss since 2013 came against Anthony Johnson back a year ago in New Jersey. With his recent record as proof, Bader said he felt like he was just hitting his stride, and that he’d “be a champion in whichever organization” he ended up fighting in next.

One thing that Bader made clear was that he wasn’t necessarily drawn to signing a contact with “X” amount of fights and “X” amount of money, which is traditionally how Zuffa contracts work. He admitted he liked the leeway in Bellator’s structure. And, having never received a title shot in the UFC’s light heavyweight division, he also wants to feel like he knows his bearings heading in.

“It’s about opportunity,” he told Ariel Helwani. “I want to know what [Bellator’s] plan is for me also, on both sides. I just don’t want to sign a deal, saying, ‘okay we’re signing a four, six, eight fight deal and these are your terms and this is your money, alright, good to go, bye.’ I want to know the plan is for me in particular. What we’re thinking about first fight? What is the road to the title? More looking at something in stone [instead of] just signing a contract and never knowing where you’re at.”

As with other fighters that have jumped ship from Zuffa, the Reebok deal is another sticking point for Bader.

“There’s other stuff than just the money in the terms of the contract,” he said. “Part of it, and why I actually fought it out, was opportunity, what’s the plan, and smart stuff. Obviously sponsors, I took a big hit in sponsors when that whole [Reebok] thing came out. Just little stuff. So when it came time to re-sign, we said, why would we sign? Why wouldn’t we bet on ourselves, play this thing out and see what’s out there. See what I’m worth, see what opportunities are out there.”

Though Bader ultimately said he wouldn’t let the fact that he never got a title shot plague him, it went into his decision to test the open market. And another factor was just the old prizefighting structure of “win” bonuses, where a fighter is paid his show money generally doubles his income with a victory. As a professional athlete, Bader said a flat rate is more rational, especially because a guaranteed all-inclusive purse allows him to fight the way he wants to fight.

“The whole show and win purse system, I don’t believe is the best either,” he said. “Sure, people…you go in there and you’re getting your pay check, then you’re fighting for that same paycheck to go out there and win.

“You go out there and you can let it all loose, and go out there and fight the way you want to, without having to say hey, I need to go in there and wrestle this guy because I know I can beat him doing that. Instead you can just go out there and fight and just let it all loose.”

With Anthony Johnson set to fight Daniel Cormier for the 205-pound title in April at UFC 210, and Jon Jones expected to be waiting in the wings for the winner, Bader might have a clearer shot to face Phil Davis for the Bellator title sooner rather than later.

And since the two have a history together — Bader took a split-decision over Davis at UFC on FOX 14 back in early-2015 — he thinks the path to a title could be pre-paved.

“I do believe we can [get a title shot right away],” he said. “That’s another thing, like I said, I keep hitting on the word opportunity and the plan — what’s your plan for me? And so, things like that are being discussed. I know [Davis] probably wants to get that win back…that’s definitely part of it.”

When asked if he would welcome a fight with the recently retired Tito Ortiz, who defeated Bader back at UFC 132 in 2011, Bader didn’t hesitate.

“I would love to, absolutely,” he said.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
^ there's no reason for Tito to take that fight.

Bader vs Davis 2 though.... that's the fight they should make, right away.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Coker has direct dealings with larkin, so I would assume there was something in his strike force days that made coker decide to pass on him. No idea what it is, but it certainly isn't talent.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Coker has direct dealings with larkin, so I would assume there was something in his strike force days that made coker decide to pass on him. No idea what it is, but it certainly isn't talent.
I think Coker was set to offer larkin another offer after they reported offering bader an offer