Bellator chief Scott Coker did lunch with former UFC champ Chuck Liddell

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015

Bellator President Scott Coker has something in mind for former UFC light heavyweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell – but it might not be what you think.

Coker on Thursday told MMAjunkie that the two recently talked over lunch in Los Angeles. But Coker pitched Liddell on working for Bellator as a “brand ambassador,” rather than as a fighter.

Liddell has hinted about making a comeback now that he’s no longer working for the UFC, and Coker previously said he’d at least hear out “The Iceman,” even if a comeback might be jeopardized by the industry leader’s standard retirement clause, which unfreezes a contract after a fighter decides to come back.

Several UFC Hall of Famers have taken the Bellator job, signing autographs at fan events in advance of fight cards. In 2014, Royce Gracie joined up as a brand ambassador to meet fans, hold seminars and do promotional appearances.

Liddell would add some major star power to the Viacom-owned promotion. He remains of the UFC’s strongest draws outside the cage, with fans frequently lining up in droves to get an autograph or picture. That might give the UFC pause about allowing him to lend his image to a competitor; Wanderlei Silva was blocked from participating in a Bellator fan event in 2014 before he was released from his UFC contract.

But the million dollar question is whether Liddell, who was let go as the UFC’s vice president of business development in the wake of company-wide layoffs, has the freedom to pursue such ventures. Coker said he has no intel on that front, and MMAjunkie wasn’t immediately able to reach Liddell’s reps.

Stay tuned.

Bellator chief Scott Coker did lunch with former UFC champ Chuck Liddell

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
To my knowledge, chuck still has fights left in his UFC contract. Not even sure that they'll let him make promotional appearances for Bellator. I know they initially stopped wandy

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Chuck and Dana have been close friends for 20 years. I would be surprised if Chuck hasn't already discussed w/ Dana and gotten his blessing. I just can't see him allowing Dana to find out all of this thru the media.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Chuck and Dana have been close friends for 20 years. I would be surprised if Chuck hasn't already discussed w/ Dana and gotten his blessing. I just can't see him allowing Dana to find out all of this thru the media.
"Chuck and I were never friends"

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I might have some more news in a week or two. When Chuck got fired it was not good between the two of them. Not sure if they've met or talked since. However my buddy certainly is no longer a Dana fan and he's very close to Chuck.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
To my knowledge, chuck still has fights left in his UFC contract. Not even sure that they'll let him make promotional appearances for Bellator. I know they initially stopped wandy
If they make him retire, I wonder if that would hold weight in court.