Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho willing to move up for a fight with Chael Sonnen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

Chael Sonnen scored his first Bellator win recently, defeating his longtime rival Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision at Madison Square Garden. Now, one of Silva’s teammates wants a piece of “The American Gangster”.

Bellator middleweight champion Rafael Carvalho was waiting for the promotion to set up his next title defense after he knocked out Melvin Manhoef in May, but is now willing to move up to 205 pounds to face Sonnen.

“I want to challenge Sonnen,” Carvalho told MMA Fighting. “Instead of doing another title defense, make this superfight.”

Sonnen, a two-time middleweight title contender in the UFC, moved up to the light heavyweight division in 2013 to challenge then-champion Jon Jones, going 2-3 in the division with wins over Mauricio Rua and “The Axe Murderer”.

Carvalho admits that part of him wants to avenge his friend after Bellator 180, and promises to beat him up so bad that his second loss to Anderson Silva would look like nothing.

“He only has that wrestling game, and I believe that after I defend his first three takedowns, he won’t shoot anymore,” Carvalho said. “I'll be honest with you, nothing he did (against Wanderlei Silva) surprised me. Standing and trading with Wanderlei is not for everyone, and Sonnen is not stupid. He realized that when he tried and almost got knocked out."

Carvalho holds a 5-0 record under the Bellator banner with three knockout finishes, and wouldn't expect to go to championship rounds against Sonnen.

Full story here:
Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho willing to move up for a fight with Chael Sonnen

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He would hurt chael like he did Halsey

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Meh why not? If Chael could get back into the ring after that fight it would be an accomplishment in itself

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This only adds fuel to the fire and helps validate chael's schtick that talking is the number one characteristic to making things interesting

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
It would get Carvalho more attention and he wouldn't have to defend his title. Of course he'd like this fight. But it never happens.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
To young, strong, fast, and talented for Chael at this stage in his career. Chael needs to stick to a legends ass locking tour.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I would rather see Chael vs Chuck if Chuck wants to go again. Chael isn't going to hurt chuck with punches so it could be a fun fight to watch. Who doesn't want to see the Iceman walking out one more time.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
I would rather see Chael vs Chuck if Chuck wants to go again. Chael isn't going to hurt chuck with punches so it could be a fun fight to watch. Who doesn't want to see the Iceman walking out one more time.
Chuck or Fedor. Both could stop Chael's takedowns and fuck him up.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
It's popular to shit on Rafael for that first shitty fight against Melvin, but he is a decent fighter. The second Melvin fight showed me that he has decent fight iq. Landing body kicks. Circling away from the opposite handed fighters right hand and landing his own lefts down the pipe. Set up that brutal high kick with those body kicks I mentioned. Dude showed solid fight iq for sure

He could beat Chael, granted he could stuff a td, or scramble. He survived Halsey on the ground, but Halsey is gassy.

All that said though, this fight won't happen

Last edited:

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
"Move up" and "Superfight" Someone has been smoking that sticky icky.....