Bellator Not Stopping Free Agency Push, Upping Tentpole Events & New Territories

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Bellator MMA has been on an upward trajectory ever since its new owners at Viacom/Spike TV handed Scott Coker the reigns in 2014, but things have really picked up in the past year on the strength of marquee free-agent signings and highly-rated “tentpole” events.

And according to Coker, fight fans should only expect more of that winning one-two punch going forward. Bellator is planning an increase to eight big shows this year, with the chance to hit one per month within the next 2-3 years, and will continue to doggedly pursue the sport’s top talents to feature on these cards.

“If you look at the fighters we signed last year and the fighters we’ll get this year, I believe we’ll have an 80 to 90 percent success rate with the fighters we wanted to sign who we feel would move the needle for us,” Coker said. “Any fighter we feel can add value to this roster, we’re going to go out there and do our best to sign him.”

In hopes of finding the next crop of future champions in a more competitive market, Coker has really tapped into the collegiate wrestling circuit, signing All-Americans like Jarod Trice, Joey Davis and Tyrell Fortune, as well as the soon-to-debut 20-year-old Aaron Pico — arguably the most-anticipated blue chipper in MMA today.

Read More: MMA In 2017 Part V: Bellator Not Stopping Free Agency Push, Upping Tentpole Events & New Territories

M

member 603

This is good, break up the monotony of the UFC machine. Add those blue chippers and develop them, add a few known vets, and as long as they don't headline... Add a few legends fights. It may take a little bit, but if they stay their course (and the UFC continues it's bullshit of ignoring top contenders, interim titles, and treating fighters the way they do) I can see in a year or two Bellator being a better draw.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
I love this part-

"But while fighters of this caliber, and fight cards along the lines of the Sonnen-headlined Bellator 170, mean big business, Coker stresses that the smaller shows are just as crucial to the company’s long-term health. Much like the “Challengers” series for his now-defunct Strikeforce promotion, the less-heralded events Bellator puts on every month offers top prospects a chance to get their feet wet before being thrown into deep waters.

“Really, that’s where we find the talent,” Coker said. “(Strikeforce Challengers) is where we found Tyron Woodley and Daniel Cormier and Luke Rockhold and all these gems. I think the combination really makes for developing a nice roster.”

In hopes of finding the next crop of future champions in a more competitive market, Coker has really tapped into the collegiate wrestling circuit, signing All-Americans like Jarod Trice, Joey Davis and Tyrell Fortune, as well as the soon-to-debut 20-year-old Aaron Pico — arguably the most-anticipated blue chipper in MMA today."

- it's like how everyone was focused on Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan. They called the Spurs 'too old' while they were quietly building up Danny Green, Patty Mills, and Kawhi Leonard. Coker is doing the same thing. Focus on guys like Fedor, Sonnen, and MacDonald while MVP, Fortune, Lovato Jr, Pico, etc creep up and take over the sport.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Good to hear. Even forbes giving Bellator some light.

I would love to see Bellator go to Mexico, but do they have the talent?

My money would say that they'd go to Brazil before all else, but the problem is that UFC has that market on lock. I'm sure Coker wants to be the only player in town when they go to Brazil, not having to compete with the UFC. They do have the talent for solid Brazil card.

Wandy vs chael could headline. A title fight like the bw strap(between to Brazilians) as the comain. You have both pitbulls.

I would say Lima but I'm sure they'd rather have Lima va Rory in Canada should Rory win (he should)

4 London events this year? Dam they really wanna capture that market.

What's most exciting is how Coker assured that he will continue the push for free agents. Bader could make the jump, Duffy as well seeing how Bellator has liked Ireland. Michael McDonald is a free agent. Isn't moose saucey on his last fight? Could see him jump as well. Coker is taking advantage of the fact that UFC simply isn't trying to pay due to the massive loans and financial objectives.

Big things in mma.

Last edited:

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Bellator is so much more progressive. In the old days UFC was a carny show and it has become one once again where as Bellator (Coker) & Sons isn't as patronizing to the fighters or fans. IMO