Bellator President Scott Coker doesn't sound too hot on signing Ben Askren

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

ROSEMONT, Ill. – Scott Coker doesn’t sound like he’s very keen on getting into the Ben Askren business.

Askren (18-0) perked up ears recently when he sparred online with Bellator welterweight champion Rory MacDonald (20-4 MMA, 2-0 BMMA). But in a press scrum following Saturday’s Bellator 198 event, Coker indicated his promotional goals aren’t aligned with the former ONE Championship titleholder.

“Ben, I don’t really think wants to fight,” Coker said. “I think he wants to fight one more fight and be done with it. That’s what I understand.”

Steven Marrocco and Matt Erickson | April 29, 2018 9:15 am

ROSEMONT, Ill. – Scott Coker doesn’t sound like he’s very keen on getting into the Ben Askren business.

Askren (18-0) perked up ears recently when he sparred online with Bellator welterweight champion Rory MacDonald (20-4 MMA, 2-0 BMMA). But in a press scrum following Saturday’s Bellator 198 event, Coker indicated his promotional goals aren’t aligned with the former ONE Championship titleholder.

“Ben, I don’t really think wants to fight,” Coker said. “I think he wants to fight one more fight and be done with it. That’s what I understand.”

Rory MacDonald and Ben Askren tweet about fighting each other in Bellator, but how possible is that?
MacDonald urged Askren to sign with the Viacom-owned promotion during their spat. But when Bellator executives spoke with Askren and ONE Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong, Coker said the gap between Askren’s desire and business reality was wide.

Plus, Askren, who was a Bellator champ from 2010-2013 before eventually signing with the Asia-based ONE Championship, remains under contract with the rival promotion, Coker said.

“To me, we have a lot of plans for these guys in the 170-pound weight class,” he said. “We’re going to keep everybody busy. We’ve got a big fight for (Michael Page) coming up in London. We’ve got a big fight for (Jon) Fitch and (Paul) Daley in San Jose on May 12.

Bellator President Scott Coker doesn't sound too hot on signing Ben Askren

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
There's one fight that could take place in Bellator that has everyone, hardcore and casuals alike, excited, and that's Rory vs Askren. Although it's good to hear that Michael Page has a fight coming up. What was his opponent's name again? And, of course, Fitch vs Daley.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It makes no sense for Bellator to have Askren come in and beat their champion then head over to the UFC for a fat contract and bragging rights.
It's like, the opposite of what they want to do.

If Askren wanted a multi-fight deal, like most humans, then we'd see negotiations.
From a growing company's perspective trying to make their mark in the shadow of a monopoly that has crushed it's competition by every conceivable measure, signing Askren to a one-fight deal vs. the champ is about the stupidest thing they could do.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Bellator's Welterweight division is doing fine without Askren. It would be great to sign him if he wanted more than 1 fight, but like Coker said- he's already got 1 foot out the door, so why bother?

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
It makes no sense for Bellator to have Askren come in and beat their champion then head over to the UFC for a fat contract and bragging rights.
It's like, the opposite of what they want to do.

If Askren wanted a multi-fight deal, like most humans, then we'd see negotiations.
From a growing company's perspective trying to make their mark in the shadow of a monopoly that has crushed it's competition by every conceivable measure, signing Askren to a one-fight deal vs. the champ is about the stupidest thing they could do.
That's an old fashion way of viewing the situation, and it's ignoring one of the primary reasons Askren is reluctant to do business with the UFC, in spite of what he says publicly about his feud with Dana. Bellator could do a super fight, similar to what's done in boxing, and include a rematch clause if they're fearful of his leaving immediately after with the belt. Since Askren was already their champ before signing to OneFC, it might actually boost their brand since Rory is considered, by many, to be the best there is at 170. Coker has to do something, so why not roll the dice at this point?

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That's an old fashion way of viewing the situation, and it's ignoring one of the primary reasons Askren is reluctant to do business with the UFC, in spite of what he says publicly about his feud with Dana. Bellator could do a super fight, similar to what's done in boxing, and include a rematch clause if they're fearful of his leaving immediately after with the belt. Since Askren was already their champ before signing to OneFC, it might actually boost their brand since Rory is considered, by many, to be the best there is at 170. Coker has to do something, so why not roll the dice at this point?
Coker doesn't have to do anything.
They have arguably the best division in the sport.
Lima could've got the nod.
Koreshkov is a murderer.
Rory is Rory.
MVP is about to either lose or make Bellator 200 memorable and make a statement, and we've still got Semtex and Fitch duking it out next week with killers like Lorenz Larkin and Brennan Ward still relevant and names like Nieman Gracie, Dillon Danis & Baby Slice to capture attention, not to mention Logan Storley.
Their stable is more than adequate.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Koreshkov is a murderer.
Rory is Rory.
MVP is about to either lose or make Bellator 200 memorable and make a statement, and we've still got Semtex and Fitch duking it out next week with killers like Lorenz Larkin and Brennan Ward still relevant and names like Nieman Gracie, Dillon Danis & Baby Slice to capture attention, not to mention Logan Storley.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Koreshkov is a murderer.
Rory is Rory.
Also- Ed Ruth is making the drop to WW. The entire division better be on the lookout.

The Sound of Violence

Host of a podcast about mma podcasts
Oct 28, 2015
From what I've heard Askren still has 2 or 3 fights under contract with One Championship although I can't find a source anywhere online. I think if he had a fight in Bellator they would probably have to co promote it with One or work out a deal with them hence the "business reality" comment and only asking for a single fight.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
From what I've heard Askren still has 2 or 3 fights under contract with One Championship although I can't find a source anywhere online. I think if he had a fight in Bellator they would probably have to co promote it with One or work out a deal with them hence the "business reality" comment and only asking for a single fight.
I was under the impression he was retired and that made his particular contract null and void.
I may have to confer with Rich Franklin on this, give me about 3 or 4 minutes.
:D
"Edit*
So I think his 6 Fight contract was fulfilled before retirement.

The Sound of Violence

Host of a podcast about mma podcasts
Oct 28, 2015
I was under the impression he was retired and that made his particular contract null and void.
I may have to confer with Rich Franklin on this, give me about 3 or 4 minutes.
:D
"Edit*
So I think his 6 Fight contract was fulfilled before retirement.
From what I understand he did fight out the 6 fights, but the Aoki fight was under a new contract. Could be wrong though I can't remember for the life of me who I heard it from