Bellator releases five fighters, including former champion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

While the UFC has been in the news for the large number of fighters they've released lately (or are rumored to be releasing), it's Bellator's roster trimming that's in the news today. The Viacom-owned organization cut five fighters from their roster, one of which held a title in the organization. Jason Floyd of The MMA Report fills us in via Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/Jason_Floyd/status/660223579699732484?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

27-year-old Volkov (24-6, 6-3 Bellator) won the vacant Bellator heavyweight title in 2012 after winning a HW tourney. He lost the belt in his first title defense (a year later) toVitaly Minakov at Bellator 108. He won another tournament in 2014, defeating Blagoi Ivanov in the final, but never got another title shot. He lost two fights in a row to Tony Johnson and Cheick Kongo earlier this year, leading to his release.

LINK: Bellator releases five fighters, including former champion - Bloody Elbow

M

member 3289

I've heard of Volkov but the rest I'm not so sure of. Maybe Duarte...

Funniest comment I ever read about fighters getting released was about 6 months ago when about 7-8 fighters were released. All or nearly all had lost at least 2 straight fights.

Anyway, one poster commented "I am going to miss seeing these guys get knocked out."

Every time a group of fighters whose names I'm not that familiar with gets released, I think of this post and laugh.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
some weird cuts by coker. my only guess is that they simply weren't pulling their own weight vs. the ratings they were getting... Tiger is one that I would have kept if I was coker.. I think he might be looking for American fighters that appeal to the American crowd. don't really blame him; he needs the numbers, but im sure he is going to regret cutting tiger... willing to bet money that he will be in the ufc with a couple of wins...

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
And this is why you have to make your name well-known. You dont necessarily have to be the best fighter, but people need to know your name.

Winnson

We can't stop here. This is bat country!
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I hope Rizin is completely awesome and like a Pride Revival.

MMA needs a breath of fresh air and someone else to take the reins as number one for a while, just like Pride did.