Bellator signs K-1 World GP champion Ewerton Teixeira

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bellator signs K-1 World GP champion Ewerton Teixeira - MMA Fighting

Ewerton Teixeira, Winner of the K-1 World GP in 2008 and world champion in kyokushin, has signed a deal with Bellator, sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com. Combate first reported the news.

There’s no date and opponent set yet for his Bellator debut, but a source said Teixeira is expected to fight "very soon".

Teixeira made his MMA debut in 2012, knocking out Raul Bazane in the third round in Brazil. The heavyweight striker improved to 3-0 with a pair of decisions over Edinaldo Novaes and Eduardo Borges in 2013, but hasn’t fought MMA since.

Under kickboxing rules, Teixeira made his debut in 2003, but only in 2008 he gained recognition around the world after winning the K-1 World GP 2008 championship in Fukuoka, Japan, defeating Kyotaro Fujimoto, Tsuyoshi Nakasako and Tsutomu Takahagi in the same night.

Teixeira holds wins over the likes of Errol Zimmerman, Jerome Le Banner and Musashi inside the K-1 ring, compiling a record of 11-4 in kickboxing. His only losses came versus Alistair Overeem, Peter Aerts, Zimmerman and most recently Hesdy Gerges at Glory 13.

Here's some of his recent Glory fight

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAT3r5-efw

He's 3-0 in MMA, getting one KO and two decisions.

Here is his most recent MMA fight

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7d5u6QtYW0

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Reem body bagged him..but he's fun to watch..good for Bellator..

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
good for bellator.lets see k1 vs glory in a mma fight in a cage now

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Big man with some heavy hands. Good for him & Bellator.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
True.. but it also has to be thought of in a way where.. How many opponents can either face in MMA, in Bellator, that they can actually beat?

Manhoef vs Schilling was the PERFECT fight for Schilling/a guy coming from K1. They should do Texeira vs Manhoef, and then give Schilling someone who is similar.

I thought matching Schilling with a 10-1 grappler was the dumbest thing they have done. Schilling had 1 MMA fight in like 7 years before that.. What other outcome did they expect? Just because he's really good at one sport, doesn't mean he should not be brought up in MMA the correct way.No need to feed the guy to grapples right away.. Let him build himself, put on fights with guys like Ewerton, Manhoef etc. I don't see either guy becoming an elite, well rounded MMA fighter who can win a Bellator title. So they should utilize them in fun ass fights that will make the fans salivate.

Schilling vs Brennan Ward would be good, but Ward has decent grappling under Tim Burrill, so I dunno.

Bellator should try to scoop up Tyrone Spong when he's ready. Spong would be better off there than the UFC. If Bellator can gather like 5-6 high level kickboxers, and put on exciting stand up style matches between them under MMA rules.. It'd be a great addition to any card and bring guaranteed fireworks. Unlike the UFC, every fight in Bellator doesn't have to be top ranked guy vs top ranked guy.. I'd love to see guys like Spong vs Schilling slug it out under MMA rules. Who wouldn't?

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Schilling vs Tamdan McRory would be a sick fight... but again, the grappling could come into play. That's MMA though. But, I wanna see these guys utilized in a special attraction type deal... the GLORY/K1 guys they're bringing in...No need to feed em to the sharks right away

Manhoef was the PERFECT opponent, they need more like him

Imagine if they did Schilling/Daley at a catch weight or something? Bah gawd

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
His tittays are pert. I get the attraction to cross over but I like my mixed martial arts just that. Mixed. Before when we didn't have easy access and mma was in the early stages it made sense to cross over without being well rounded. Now that the sport is no longer a sideshow attraction and we can appreciate subs and gnp I have little use for KB in MMA. I can get it from Glory directly. But his titts are nice

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
His tittays are pert. I get the attraction to cross over but I like my mixed martial arts just that. Mixed. Before when we didn't have easy access and mma was in the early stages it made sense to cross over without being well rounded. Now that the sport is no longer a sideshow attraction and we can appreciate subs and gnp I have little use for KB in MMA. I can get it from Glory directly. But his titts are nice
These guys better seriously work on their wrestling and BJJ, or their venture into MMA will be a tough one. For example, Joe Schilling is a an absolute STUD and he has a pretty decent clinch game for someone so young to the MMA game...and even he is struggling against guys that aren't truly elite. I'm all for anyone trying their hand at MMA...especially K1 guys, because they're so exciting. I just hope they are willing to put the work in at the gym, to improve their ground games, so they are able to make the best of it.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I think they are looking to be more special attraction fighters than top contenders

Bellator is leaning in that direction. Big name main events, with their top champs/up and coming guys on the undercards. That way when Ortiz vs Bonnar type shows happen, and they get 3 mil viewers... 3 million people get to see guys like Will Brooks, Straus, etc... that normally wouldn't watch them

To open that kinda card with a Schilling vs Texeira fight is a smart idea

Bellator is not looking to be the UFC and only put on the highest level matchups. They're looking to garner attention to their fighters by putting on fun fights/freakshows (Ortiz Bonnar, Kimbo Shamrock), along with fan friendly slug fests (Schilling Manhoef)... because they add to the fun of the show.. and then in the middle of that, they get to showcase their REAL high level MMA talent, like Will Brooks, etc.

It's a good formula. Then in time, the real talent at the high level will become the actual attraction to the show, and these types of fights will be few and far between.

To compete with the UFC they need to offer something different. Not gonna beat them by being the same product, just a lesser version

Exciting fights + name/freakshow matches = exposure for their REAL top of the line guys who are on the same shows. Good strategy, IMO.

I'd rather watch these kind of Bellator shows than the random regional UFC Brazil or Fight Pass shows with 8 decisions featuring guys I have never heard of

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
That's how PRIDE created stars. They'd put on matches with Japanese pro wrestlers who were famous, or other freakshow fights... and the rest of the card would be filled with REAL talent showcasing what they could do

Then once the Japanese fans saw guys like Minotauro, Fedor, CroCop, Herring, Wand, etc... and saw them beating their Japanese wrestling stars.. THEY were the ones who became the stars, and it leaned away from being headlined by pro wrestlers, to being all about the actual fighters.

It's a slow process, but a smart move. I'm interested to see how Bellator plays out in the next 2 years. SF was becoming a serious threat to the UFC when they started the HWGP, which is why Zuffa bought it out. Not a serious threat like "oh they're gonna take over"... but a threat in the sense fighters had leverage and negotiating power against the UFC. They had another option. They had a company whose broadcasts were doing massive ratings (5.7 mil peak on CBS for Fedor/Rogers) and crazy numbers for subscription network Showtime (1.2 mil peak PAID for Fedor/BigFoot)

Coker knows how to get eyeballs.. and now look at the SF fighters now.. They are all kicking ass in the UFC, big time. Rousey, Rockhold, Jacare, etc... And just like back then, people used to say "SF fighters suck, they are not on the same level as UFC guys".. Goofs.

I see Bellator right now the way SF was in 2007 or so. Slowly but surely gaining ground. Like when SF put on the Frank Shamrock vs Cesar Gracie show.. total mismatch freakshow fight.. but they showcased a ton of young talent in the under card.. same with their Bob Sapp vs Jan Nortje headliner.. these under cards had like Josh Thomson, Gil Melendez, Clay Guida, and many other future stars... and the eyeballs were on them because of the freakshow attractions.

Couple years later, those same guys that were on the undercard were the face of the promotion

Coker knows the deal. Smart dude.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I think they are looking to be more special attraction fighters than top contenders

Bellator is leaning in that direction. Big name main events, with their top champs/up and coming guys on the undercards. That way when Ortiz vs Bonnar type shows happen, and they get 3 mil viewers... 3 million people get to see guys like Will Brooks, Straus, etc... that normally wouldn't watch them

To open that kinda card with a Schilling vs Texeira fight is a smart idea

Bellator is not looking to be the UFC and only put on the highest level matchups. They're looking to garner attention to their fighters by putting on fun fights/freakshows (Ortiz Bonnar, Kimbo Shamrock), along with fan friendly slug fests (Schilling Manhoef)... because they add to the fun of the show.. and then in the middle of that, they get to showcase their REAL high level MMA talent, like Will Brooks, etc.

It's a good formula. Then in time, the real talent at the high level will become the actual attraction to the show, and these types of fights will be few and far between.

To compete with the UFC they need to offer something different. Not gonna beat them by being the same product, just a lesser version

Exciting fights + name/freakshow matches = exposure for their REAL top of the line guys who are on the same shows. Good strategy, IMO.

I'd rather watch these kind of Bellator shows than the random regional UFC Brazil or Fight Pass shows with 8 decisions featuring guys I have never heard of
I read "Will Brooks" twice and I had to stop reading. The freakshow is the huge codpiece that Curious George looking bastid wears. It's regotdamndickulous. There is no way his peewee is in need of a banana boat size cup. Joe Rogan steel or not. I dislike him intensly. I like the rest of what you said before the second Will Brooks tho

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Lol. Well, he's probably their top guy talent wise at the moment. Since he has only been training 4 years and is already champ, I have a feeling a few years from now he will be looked at as elite

I'd totally give him a cup check tho

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I like that Bellator is looking to add talent that will put on exciting fights.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I get the feeling that under Coker they're going to be much more media/fan accessible. Makes sense, they need as much shine as possible

Caoiltedb

Apr 21, 2015
Great signing huge potential but did you see that last fight in MMA he had, his oppenent is nowhere near what he'll meet in Bellator and it's evident he'll be up for the challenge as well as ready for it after being a former K-1 and Glory for years. However, MMA is a different sport, I personally am interested to see how good he really is in MMA against a prospect/contender. He's certainly a big attraction I'll say that.

I would be interested to see him start with quite a low ranked fighter in Bellator then go forward to face someone else with more hype and abitily. Lorenzo Hood comes straight to mind. Bellator are adding to their Heavyweight division, it's probably the best gap they have to obtain a more interesting, competitive division over the UFC. So what I think should happen is give Teixeira 1 maybe 2 fights in the Bellator cage and 1 for Hood, give them a lot of hype, then give us a huge main card/co-main event fight where they battle it off.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I get the feeling that under Coker they're going to be much more media/fan accessible. Makes sense, they need as much shine as possible
You got it. Coker is a stud and he will eventually build Bellator into an entity that makes Zuffa's asshole pucker. The only variable is time.