Ben Askren changes tune on CM Punk

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/14...ing-in-the-gym

Ben Askren criticized the UFC when the promotion signed CM Punk in December. He has a different view of the former WWE star now.

Askren told MMAFighting.com at the Fighters Only MMA Awards in Las Vegas that he is impressed by CM Punk's attitude in training. Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, began training at Roufusport in Milwaukee with the likes of Askren and UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis in January.

"I was just talking sh*t on Twitter," Askren said. "It's what I do. He's been outstanding in the gym. He's been in there every day. It's not like he came in here and said, 'I'm a superstar, I'm going to get preferential treatment.' He just acts like one of the guys, just working out. It's outstanding."

Just FYI. You'll likely see a lot of threads about Askren and OneFC here lol. He's one of my favorite characters in MMA, and OneFC is my favorite MMA org. Plus, as an unbiased platform for MMA discussion, I feel all organizations should get their fair share of pub here...not just one.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Good to hear. I don't think Ben really took issue with Phil but more so the UFC and how they view who's worthy of signing. I didn't like Askren much up until Kenny Rice decided to deep throat the UFC on his situation, I'm now a fan. Having said that Rory would beat him up

:chairshot:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I sucked Stillmatics WOODley;19938 said:
Having said that Rory would beat him up

You're batshit crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I sucked Stillmatics WOODley;19938 said:
Good to hear. I don't think Ben really took issue with Phil but more so the UFC and how they view who's worthy of signing. I didn't like Askren much up until Kenny Rice decided to deep throat the UFC on his situation, I'm now a fan. Having said that Rory would beat him up

I don't know if Rory would be able to keep Ben off of him. See round 1 of the Rory-Maia fight.

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Always been a big fan and supporter of Ben. I'd like to see him face some better talent though.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;n19944 said:
You're batshit crazy.

Oh now its on son...

Here's Rory in a dominant position against guys ranked within the top 15

Now heres Ben against a good mma fighter.....

If I had to pick I'd rather be under Ben, no homo. Its on Wild.....:cool2:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Lol....I'm no Ben hater by any means. I feel he could come to the UFC and be an easy top 10 but the top 5 WWs are very good. I just need to see it for real, I hate playing the what if game unless its just harmless talk, nobody knows the facts until it happens.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Have we seen anyone test Bens chin? Haven't seen many of Bens fights so i'm curious if he could handle a shot from Lawler.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon;19992 said:
Have we seen anyone test Bens chin? Haven't seen many of Bens fights so i'm curious if he could handle a shot from Lawler.
He took a nasty knee from Lima in their fight. I have seen him take some big shots but most of his fights are dominant and he doesn't get hit a lot so it's hard to judge. Based on what I have seen, he seems to have a good chin on him. I have never seen him rocked or hurt.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I sucked Stillmatics WOODley;n19960 said:
Oh now its on son...

Here's Rory in a dominant position against guys ranked within the top 15

Now heres Ben against a good mma fighter.....

If I had to pick I'd rather be under Ben, no homo. Its on Wild......:cool2:

And here's a picture of what would happen if this fight ever went down.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;19997 said:
And here's a picture of what would happen if this fight ever went down.

Hahahaha...that is awesome.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon;n19992 said:

That's a big question but its more than his chin. If he faces a guy who has good enough counter wrestling like Johnny, Rory, Robbie and so on what's plan b and how effective is it against those same guys? Nem could probably take all those guys down but how many times will it take, can he keep them there, can he inflict real damage? Until I see Ben face a top 10 guy I have to go with the guys who have proven themselves multiple times. I'd love to see Ben come to the UFC and have a guy like Carlos, Brown, Woodley, Lombard....All those guys would be a great indicator where Askren ssitsin the WW division.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Shy Guy;n20003 said:
Hahahaha...that is awesome.

Lol! Well when you put it in artistic form its tough to argue.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They call me little Picasso here in Louisville, guys. It's what I do.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I should tweet this to Ben. He would probably get a laugh out of this himself.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Mertvaya Ruka;20140 said:
is there still no known footage of Punk rolling/throwing punches etc?
If there were they would have been leaked by now. I know he is doing 12 privates a week with Duke but I'm not sure if he is training with the team yet.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
D241;n20159 said:
For OP
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/...Askren/?forum=1&thread=2257418&#post-52508468

You need to see that thread if you haven't already since you're a fellow Askren fan

I don't even want to read it because I can predict the responses from the resident morons over there. Askren is boring, Askren doesn't finish fights, Askren hasn't beat anyone, Askren would lose to everyone in the Top 10, Askren disrespected BLAF, Askren wants too much money.

Am I close?

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;20163 said:
I don't even want to read it because I can predict the responses from the resident morons over there. Askren is boring, Askren doesn't finish fights, Askren hasn't beat anyone, Askren would lose to everyone in the Top 10, Askren disrespected BLAF, Askren wants too much money.

Am I close?
Sounds familiar.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
At one point there was an argument for him not to be picked up, in that he was very unexciting and not finishing despite having so much dominance. However, now he is putting people away there really is no valid reason that the UFC don't pick him up.