Ben Askren: I think I am the best welterweight in the world

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Who is the best fighter in the world in any given weight class? Historically, the answer to the question was “the current UFC champion.” However, with promotions like Bellator MMA, World Series of Fighting and One Championship growing in popularity and gaining visibility, the answer might no longer be quite so simple.

Case in point: Ben Askren.

Askren, the reigning One Championship titleholder at 170 pounds, is ranked among the top 10 welterweights in the sport. Yet, he is the only fighter in the group who has not yet fought in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The undefeated Askren maintains the belief that he should be ranked atop a division that includes Robbie Lawler, Johny Hendricks, Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit and his former teammate at the University of Missouri, Tyron Woodley.

“One hundred percent,” Askren said, “I think I am the best welterweight in the world.”
“I don’t think Santos brings anything new to the table for me,” he said. “Even though he has 70 fights, I bring something new to the table because I have a skill set that is unique that no one can really give him the feel of in practice. So even with 70 fights, he’s going to have a tough time dealing with me.”

Askren remains confident that he will retain his One Championship crown, and he has made it clear in interviews and through Twitter and various other social media outlets that he would someday like to face off with Hendricks, the former UFC welterweight champion.

“It doesn’t matter if Hendricks has a belt or not,” Askren said, “I’d like to fight him, for sure.”

Ben Askren: ‘I Think I am the Best Welterweight in the World’

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Askren is awesome. OneFC is awesome.

For at least the next 2-3 years, Askren will have to get to the UFC to be a clear #1.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Hard to say w/out him fighting in the UFC, but I love that Ben refuses to suck did to do so, and stays true to himself. There's NO doubt he is Top 5 in the world. None. I don't care what anyone says here or on "other" forums that tend to be biased toward the UFC. But he's boring, right, so no one even cares. Wrong. He's finished 4 of his last 5 fights...it's just that a lot of MMA fans don't watch Orgs not named UFC or Bellator.

You are correct Splinty @Splinty . He is awesome, and ONE is awesome. Hopefully more & more fans begin to broaden their horizons, tune in, and take notice.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ben is a relentless, tough motherfucker. Imagine the discipline he has to wrestle at that level for that many years, and then go right into MMA and go undefeated and win two titles.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'd love to see Ben Askren @Ben Askren fight in the UFC. Other orgs are gaining popularity but as far as WW goes UFC has it on lock down IMO. Awesome Men is finishing on a steady basis it seems and I can't think of anything bad to say about ONE Championship.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'd love to see Johnny Hendricks and Rory Macdonald in ONE FC.
Throw in Lawler and a few others and let's see who the best really are.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I adore Ben but the only match I was interested in was him vs GSP. That would've been epic. I enjoy his style but it will never fit with the UFC and what they value as a good fight. Them's the brakes son. Tour asia and get some love you long time. Find some chill

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I adore Ben but the only match I was interested in was him vs GSP. That would've been epic. I enjoy his style but it will never fit with the UFC and what they value as a good fight. Them's the brakes son. Tour asia and get some love you long time. Find some chill
And why wouldn't his style fit the UFC, lady? He's more exciting than Hendricks' last couple performances :)

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
If Hendricks would've started without the knockouts he wouldn't have gotten that far. They've built him up too much to be mad now but the press conf convo hasn't been glowing from my bae Dana in quite a few (even with Reebok reigning him in, which I'm still salty nobody has noticed on the timeline). UFC has no problem with loudmouthed critics fighting for them if it can sell but without GSP and his base, why sign another? We'll have Lawler/Hendricks rematches until someone knocks either off and they lose an extra time.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
but without GSP and his base, why sign another? We'll have Lawler/Hendricks rematches until someone knocks either off and they lose an extra time.
That's an interesting point. And to risk a guy coming in from another org, and have him take everyone to the woodshed....

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
One of my favorite gifs. Senator Clay Davis for the win.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
There is no way Askren is the best. He knows this because he trains with the best everyday. CM Punk is the GOAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
In my opinion Ben needs to get into the UFC asap. If he loses a fight in OneFc his stock will go down dramatically. Tell you the truth never was fan of his until he started fucking with Dana haha. Good luck Ben, hope you can prove to the world you are the number #1 welterweight someday.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
When I really think of it, I'd say Ben Askren, even though I'm from Ireland I ain't one to jump on the McGregor train. I think I rather argubly the best welterweight in the world at the moment and he hasn't even been signed by the UFC. The guy is a serious fighter and well rounded fighter. The dissapointment of missing his Q&A here is sickening! Hope for an interview with him some day the guy's a legend! He shows us all that there is fighters outside the UFC that are the best in the world he also attracts people away from UFC too. He is my favourite for sure, no messing about with that guy.
Forget the 170 pound division...Askren finishes Weidman in under 3 minutes!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
90% of what I write on this forum should not be taken seriously, but in this instance I am serious. The funk is not concerned with a weight advantage. Ben will single leg him, take him down, and control him. Watch Ben make the 2013 NCAA 197 lb champ his bitch here.

195 lbs match Ben Askren vs. Quentin Wright - FloWrestling
I know you joke lots bit thought you'd be serious here. I'm going to move this to the other Askren thread for further discussion.