Ben Askren moving to middleweight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

ONE's rigid new weight program has received some criticism from fighters here in the United States. Askren doesn't know why.

"I was even talking to my teammates," he said. "They were like, 'Who are you going to fight at 185?' I don't understand the issue. I'm fighting guys my size."

Doctors believe that rapid dehydration followed by rapid rehydration can wreak havoc on vital organs, sap important fluid from around the brain and make fighters more susceptible to concussions. Extreme weight cutting also hinders performance and could make fighters easier to knockout due to the affect on the brain.

In the United States, rule changes like ONE's have to go through the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) and each individual state commission. ONE, which regulates itself, has the luxury of calling all the shots. Askren doesn't mind one bit.

"If the UFC did that, people would follow course just like they did with USADA testing," he said. "It might be a little harder, but at the end of the day once fighters do it a couple times and they realize they're fighting someone their size and they don't have to do a severe dehydration, they're gonna like it. It's safer, it's healthier. It's better all around for the fighters.

"The worst 24- to 36-hour period of my whole camp, the part I like the least is the part where I've gotta cut 13 to 15 pounds of water weight. And now you're telling me I don't have to do that anymore. That's not a punishment to me. I wasn't saying, 'Shoot, I was really looking forward to that."

LINK: Ben Askren moving to middleweight, believes all will eventually emulate new ONE weight program

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
bring Mamed Khalidov over and see how he does...Mamed would hurt him imho

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Can anybody imagine Askren fighting guys like Rockhold or Weidman? I'm still thinking he struggles to break top 5 in the UFCs WW.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Askren would still fight at WW if he were in the UFC. As he explains, this is a result of ONE's new rules, which benefit him substantially.

He was scheduled to rematch a guy who is WAY bigger than him. Can't see that happening now.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Askren would still fight at WW if he were in the UFC. As he explains, this is a result of ONE's new rules, which benefit him substantially.

He was scheduled to rematch a guy who is WAY bigger than him. Can't see that happening now.
Does your rainbow imply that Ben would be a top 5 WW in the UFC or that he'd hang with the likes of Luke and Chris?

JKM

Dec 21, 2015
I might be missing something here, but him cutting to WW and moving to MW, wouldn't that still put him against bigger guys who are closer to MW anyway?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Does your rainbow imply that Ben would be a top 5 WW in the UFC or that he'd hang with the likes of Luke and Chris?

Imo, the ww issue, although I didn't issue a promise. I believe to say Askren isn't top 5 in the world is nuts.
Luke and Chris under this implementation would be fighting at 205, and rightfully so.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Imo, the ww issue, although I didn't issue a promise. I believe to say Askren isn't top 5 in the world is nuts.
Luke and Chris under this implementation would be fighting at 205, and rightfully so.
I really would have to see Ben fight legitimate competition in MMA to become a strong believer and I think completely fair. I really don't think he could beat Robbie, Rory, Carlos and a few others. If Askren could fight a guy even in the top 15 and show more skills than wrestling it would help. I like Ben, this isn't meant to be insulting but until he can find a way to fight much better guys I can't seem to buy in. And just to be clear in my previous post I said I think he'd struggle against the top 5, not get smashed or man handled or anything like that.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Can anybody imagine Askren fighting guys like Rockhold or Weidman? I'm still thinking he struggles to break top 5 in the UFCs WW.
Yeah but you are going by the new weight cutting rule neither of those guys could make 185 probably. Ben is right he will be fighting the same guys unless they kill themselves to make ww. Either way I agree he has nothing for the top UFC guys. With limited ability as an mma fighter he won't be able to get by on tksedowns alone

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Askren would put up a good fight against the top 6 guys (though I doubt he'd fight Woodley). I'd favor him over the rest of the division. Lima was top 10 when he fought Askren, and that was a 1-sided beatdown. Ridiculous that he's not already in the UFC.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
How big is he? I always thought Askren could make 155 if he really wanted

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
I am very confident guys like Rockhold and Weidman would not be fighting at 185 in One. They would easily be 205ers.

I thought Joe Lauzon sounded very uneducated on the topic in his video response. I was surprised by it as I thought he was a smart guy. But I am not sure where that impression is from since I based it on his fightimg intellect. Hopefully he readdresses the topic.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
Luke Rockhold's Askren Asterisk-free reign was certainly short-lived!

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
He walks around in the 180s and isn't particularly lean. In other words, some UFC LWs and most WWs are bigger.
My understanding is walk around weight determines fight weight for One. If Askren could. Live for 11 months out of the year at 155-160 he could fight at 155.

Guys in the UFC who walk around 20lb over their fight weight would either move up, or find a way to lose the walk around weight.

I do not understand making comparisons to "bigger" UFC fighters. They would also be affected and forced to move up.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Well, Vicious asked how big he is and wondered if he could make 155. Outside of ONE, the answer is yes, but he never had to and doesn't want to. We know this by comparing his walking weight to the known walking weights of UFC fighters. Inside of ONE, the answer is no. Even at the peak of his athletic career, he walked around in the mid-170s, according to the article.