Ben Askren says he'll 'probably' face GSP in Montreal in 2019

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Askren vs. GSP. Who ya got?

• Askren

• GSP

• The fight never happens!

Results are only viewable after voting.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018

“My main motivation is to prove I’m No. 1 in the world,” Askren recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “I think it will happen, at the Bell Centre (in Montreal). Me vs. ‘GSP,’ probably somewhere in late 2019. … I don’t need to make any more money from fighting, and there’s only one thing left to prove. I’ve been No. 1 for the past five years, and I’ve unfortunately never had the chance to prove that fight. It’s the one thing that interests me.”

“I’m 33, and I’ve taken very good care of my body,” Askren said. “I’ve never taken PEDs, so there’s no ill affects from that. I’ve never had a very major injury since college, and that was my neck, and it’s been over a decade, so I’m fine there. I’m very healthy. I’m planning on staying in good shape – not fighting shape. But I don’t see myself as being one of those guys that’s going to age very quickly.”

Ben Askren predicts late-2019 showdown with Georges St-Pierre in Montreal

I'm not convinced!

It would be a competitive scrap, IMO. I slightly favor GSP. But St. Pierre vs. Conor makes waaaay more money. That's the fight I think GSP wants. Who can blame Askren for trying to get himself in the picture though?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

“My main motivation is to prove I’m No. 1 in the world,” Askren recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “I think it will happen, at the Bell Centre (in Montreal). Me vs. ‘GSP,’ probably somewhere in late 2019. … I don’t need to make any more money from fighting, and there’s only one thing left to prove. I’ve been No. 1 for the past five years, and I’ve unfortunately never had the chance to prove that fight. It’s the one thing that interests me.”

“I’m 33, and I’ve taken very good care of my body,” Askren said. “I’ve never taken PEDs, so there’s no ill affects from that. I’ve never had a very major injury since college, and that was my neck, and it’s been over a decade, so I’m fine there. I’m very healthy. I’m planning on staying in good shape – not fighting shape. But I don’t see myself as being one of those guys that’s going to age very quickly.”

Ben Askren predicts late-2019 showdown with Georges St-Pierre in Montreal

I'm not convinced!

It would be a competitive scrap, IMO. I slightly favor GSP. But St. Pierre vs. Conor makes waaaay more money. That's the fight I think GSP wants. Who can blame Askren for trying to get himself in the picture though?
Sickkkk!!! Then asked maia after that please!

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
GSP will only fight inside of the UFC. I think Askren needs to start licking Dana's ass if he wants that fight. And that fight he will lose.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
No way this happens. As mentioned above, GSP would make way more sense financially (by an exponential margin), for his legacy (although to the hardcore fan, that is debatable), and one could argue Conor might be more favorable stylistically. If GSP comes back, it is for one more fight, and this ain’t it.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
No way this happens. As mentioned above, GSP would make way more sense financially (by an exponential margin), for his legacy (although to the hardcore fan, that is debatable), and one could argue Conor might be more favorable stylistically. If GSP comes back, it is for one more fight, and this ain’t it.
This post makes me wish there was a sad face flare. Bc ur probably right :(

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
IF it happens, GSP destroys. It wont though so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
GSP is a far jump from the cambodians he was fighting in one fc. askren would win a wrestling match but georges will destroy him in mma

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
I voted for "Funky" Ben solely for the purpose of trying to lure CRE back to this site

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think GSP could self-promote a fight with Askren in Montreal, but I have no idea how many fights are/were on his renegotiated contract.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
I didn't think GSP would ever fight again - and i'm glad i was wrong. So what the heck!

This fight could be more likely than a Conor fight. Ben would be easier to negotiate a deal with than Conor imo.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't see the UFC letting this fight happen without Askren fighting some other Welterweights first. No way they want a Bellator/OneFC champion coming right into the UFC and possibly beating their long time Superstar.

I doubt the fight happens but if it does happen I think GSP will beat him.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Makes sense for George

not likely to get your face smashed in by Ben....But you could get dominated in scrambles for 25 minutes

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
If GSP fights again, it's going to be fore big money. Askren isn't big money, maybe in Laos, or wherever he fought.