VID Ben Askren vs. Luis "Sapo" Santos

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

eyepokes are never accidental! and Santos did not move forward.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
How can you train with Duke Rofous and be such a bad striker? You know he doesnt even try.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That was reminding me of Rousey vs Tate. Shoot, stuff, toss..

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm very surprised tbh. This might gave been just a slow start for him but Slapu just shook him off and ended up in dominant spots more so than not.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Is it me or does askren look a bit soft round the edges? Sapo looked like in different weight class, either way, I'm huge fan of funky but that fight didn't go too well for him. Sap looked great on his feet, but I could see funky grinding out the win.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Not sure what the ref was doing. He called the eyepoke, then reversed it, then got told something from outside. However, this performance really raises some doubts about whether Ben could compete with the top guys in the UFC.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Santos didn't want to fight. Took the easy way out. And I wouldn't judge Ben on 2 min of the first round. He took no damage. Got some takedowns stuffed but it was just a matter of time before they came, and that dude knew it. Fans got robbed.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thats like saying Duke basketball sucked last year because they were down 12-4 to NC State in a regular season game. A little unfair to judge Ben on 2 minutes of a fight, in my opinion.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ben would have won that fight in the second. His style isn't pretty but it works.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Santos didn't want to fight. Took the easy way out. And I wouldn't judge Ben on 2 min of the first round. He took no damage. Got some takedowns stuffed but it was just a matter of time before they came, and that dude knew it. Fans got robbed.
ben,we getting ragdolled bud...Askren might have wore him down and finished him though..but I don't think he was looking for a way out..her was winning and lateral dropped Ben With ease...i just have a hard time saying a guy with 50+wins was looking for a a way out..Ben looked like compared to Santos..There will be some great hype for the rematch abd Askren looked like Shields out there with his lack of stand up skills abd non stop td attempts

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why did he quit then ECC170 @ECC170? Did his eye look that bad to you? Asking because I've never been in an MMA fight before so looking for your perspective...not asking in a defensive manner.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Why did he quit then ECC170 @ECC170? Did his eye look that bad to you? Asking because I've never been in an MMA fight before so looking for your perspective...not asking in a defensive manner.
your good bud..im not clear on if he won't bbut if it was yup the point he couldnt see that mite be why...Jbj gets criticised for his eye pokes...i don't think they are intentional just a natural reaction...Ben needs to improve his stand up to be considered best in the wworld.of he was in there with Robbie he would have been decapitated..

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just watched it again. Definitely an eye poke but sure didn't look like the guy couldn't see because of it. Who knows. Sucks the fight ended like that.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ben almost got soccer kicked there, sure he won't forget that.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
ONE Championship 26 results: Ben Askren vs. Luis Santos ruled no contest after bizarre scene in Manila - MMA Fighting

The ending was particularly unfortunate because up until that point, Santos (61-9-1, 1 NC) was giving Askren (14-0, 1 NC) the toughest challenge the American has faced in years, successfully sprawling out of five takedown attempts and even reversing two more. ONE Championship's modified ruleset seemed to be an advantage for the Brazilian, as Santos looked to headhunt with knees to the head and soccer kicks off of each one of Askren's failed takedowns. Santos also stumbled Askren with a hard leg kick midway through the opening frame.
But the tide may have been turning in the closing moments. With three minutes left in the round, Askren waded forward on Santos, secured a body lock, then wrestled Santos to the floor to hit his first successful takedown. Askren's ground control is virtually unmatched, but he couldn't put it to use, as replay showed that he caught Santos with a grisly thumb to the Brazilian's right eye on his entry.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Ben should fight 155. He would have won the fight. Like everyone said. His style isn't pretty and I have a feeling Sapo would gas by the 2nd. Still not pretty

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
ONE Championship 26 results: Ben Askren vs. Luis Santos ruled no contest after bizarre scene in Manila - MMA Fighting

The ending was particularly unfortunate because up until that point, Santos (61-9-1, 1 NC) was giving Askren (14-0, 1 NC) the toughest challenge the American has faced in years, successfully sprawling out of five takedown attempts and even reversing two more. ONE Championship's modified ruleset seemed to be an advantage for the Brazilian, as Santos looked to headhunt with knees to the head and soccer kicks off of each one of Askren's failed takedowns. Santos also stumbled Askren with a hard leg kick midway through the opening frame.
But the tide may have been turning in the closing moments. With three minutes left in the round, Askren waded forward on Santos, secured a body lock, then wrestled Santos to the floor to hit his first successful takedown. Askren's ground control is virtually unmatched, but he couldn't put it to use, as replay showed that he caught Santos with a grisly thumb to the Brazilian's right eye on his entry.
Santos stopped defending when he got poked in the eye. I think it is unfair to count that as a takedown against him.