Ben Askren: When to walk away

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Ben Askren has held many titles during his athletic career.

He's a former NCAA national champion, All-American, U.S. Olympian, four-time defending Bellator MMA champion and a current titleholder for the Asia-based fight promotion ONE Championship.

He has been described as funky, unorthodox, boring, dominant, overrated, underrated and everything in between.

And as Askren (14-0) prepares for a rematch against Luis Santos (61-9-1) on Nov. 13 in Singapore, the Wisconsin native says there's a new word that might accurately describe him these days: old.

"I'm coming to a point in my career where within the next couple years, the question becomes, 'Can you hang it up at the right time?'" Askren told ESPN.com. "There's not a lot of people who have been able to do that, in any sport. [NFL running back] Barry Sanders is one that comes to mind, but most guys fight beyond their prime, and it's not always a good thing."

Askren, the No. 7 ranked welterweight in the world by ESPN.com, has already passed the point in his life he once thought he would retire by. During his athletic career, Askren wanted to be done with competition by age 30 and before he had his first child. He's now 31, with two kids.

The exact age of an athlete's peak varies among sports. Askren isn't sure what age that is for a professional fighter, but he believes it's a little later than in other sports -- and that, for now, has kept him in competition. He's constantly aware of his athletic clock, though.

Within two years, even if he's still undefeated, he could very well walk away.

"I think I'm a special case because I haven't been hurt at all, but physically I'm beyond my peak -- there's no doubt about that," Askren said. "MMA fans have a diluted view on the subject because people are using steroids and no one starts this sport at age 10, so people don't get good as fast. For those reasons, you have guys who have had these ridiculously prolonged careers.

"You don't see that in other sports. I was watching the NFL, and they said the running back who caught a touchdown for the Seahawks was in his early 30s and is the oldest running back in the league. You watch the wrestling world championships and there's two 19-year-old champions. No one is winning world titles in their 30s. It doesn't exist.

"Physically, am I the same person I was three or four years ago? No. But in MMA, no one starts early and the depth isn't great, so I can compete at a high level. When do I hit my peak, when my physical capabilities have gone down but my technical skills have gone up? Am I there right now? Have I already passed it? I don't know.

"When it comes to a point I think I'm not a top-five guy, I'll say enough. Whether I'm 18-0 or 22-2. Whenever it comes, it comes."
Unbeaten Askren contemplating when to walk away - Mixed Martial Arts Blog - ESPN

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
He's not a special case because he hasn't been hurt. He's a special case because he has a college wrestling coach job just waiting for him, most likely. He doesn't need to compete.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He's not a special case because he hasn't been hurt. He's a special case because he has a college wrestling coach job just waiting for him, most likely. He doesn't need to compete.
And a handful of successful businesses. Ben's in a very good spot in his career/life.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm probably in the minority, but am glad any time anyone finds success in other organizations.
I hope he never fights for Zuffa's UFC.
It is always overblown.
Once the dust settles, all you can say is that you fought there.
The exposure fades quickly except for a chosen few for a select time, and for all but Liddell, it was a temporary and often fruitless springboard.
Wild @I Wild Each It , what are some of Askren's other endeavors?
Admittedly, I haven't followed Ben closely.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm probably in the minority, but am glad any time anyone finds success in other organizations.
I hope he never fights for Zuffa's UFC.
It is always overblown.
Once the dust settles, all you can say is that you fought there.
The exposure fades quickly except for a chosen few for a select time, and for all but Liddell, it was a temporary and often fruitless springboard.
Wild @I Wild Each It , what are some of Askren's other endeavors?
Admittedly, I haven't followed Ben closely.
Just read an article where he said he runs a couple of businesses. Not exactly sure of the details, but I think he owns some stake in Flowrestling, runs a gym or two around Milwaukee, coaches, etc. He's got a lot of irons in the fire.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"MMA fans have a diluted view on the subject because people are using steroids and no one starts this sport at age 10, so people don't get good as fast. For those reasons, you have guys who have had these ridiculously prolonged careers.

I appreciate the call out on this theme

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Imo it is never good when this type of talk starts. I hope Askren retires healthy and undefeated and never fights in the UFC. I always wanted to see him and GSP go at it but that isnt ever happening.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Whatever he does, just as long as he goes away and stops the trolly trashtalking.

I've seen almost zero sympathy for the guy now, I thought that he was only going on my nerves but now it comes out that he must've annoyed a lot of people. boom
toasted. :D

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Admittedly, I'm a fan of Askren. He got his lights turned off in violent fashion, but it happens. He can still beat anyone on any given night. I hope he doesn't retire, but he will likely only get 1 more try in the UFC. Dana is probably super anxious to cut him to prove that he was right all along. Meanwhile, we still have to speculate what would've happened if he Ben would have gotten signed in his prime.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Admittedly, I'm a fan of Askren. He got his lights turned off in violent fashion, but it happens. He can still beat anyone on any given night. I hope he doesn't retire, but he will likely only get 1 more try in the UFC. Dana is probably super anxious to cut him to prove that he was right all along. Meanwhile, we still have to speculate what would've happened if he Ben would have gotten signed in his prime.
hearing he will be on Ariel's show tomorrow
if you care

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I don’t credit him for his Lawler win and I don’t discredit him for his Masvidal loss. Neither was a reasonable example of how he would/will fare in the UFC.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I'm not a fan of Ben's personality so much, but I like watching high-level pure stylists since they are so rare. Of course the overall question about what is needed for consistent success at the top has been settled (champs who manage to defend their titles are always well-rounded now, and I would say the same for nearly all perennial contenders/top 10 types), but the exceptions like Ben are definitely fascinating.

I can't imagine him retiring at this point. Even if he was a beaten-up war horse with massive mileage and a shot chin, I'm positive he wouldn't. He can fight for 3-5 more years I would think, unless he starts getting regularly knocked out.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t credit him for his Lawler win and I don’t discredit him for his Masvidal loss. Neither was a reasonable example of how he would/will fare in the UFC.
I think its a reasonable example. He came into the UFC 18-0 with his biggest criticism being the level of competition. 18 fights and no real damage. His highlights include him riding dudes backs like a horse while giving a rodeo wave. Now in the big show with two fights totalling a time of 3:25 he's been slammed on his head and smashed up pretty good but Lawler and brutally KOd by Street Jesus. Bens still in the top 10 of the division but the people expecting him to come in and continue to do what he did in ONE are ridiculous.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I think its a reasonable example. He came into the UFC 18-0 with his biggest criticism being the level of competition. 18 fights and no real damage. His highlights include him riding dudes backs like a horse while giving a rodeo wave. Now in the big show with two fights totalling a time of 3:25 he's been slammed on his head and smashed up pretty good but Lawler and brutally KOd by Street Jesus. Bens still in the top 10 of the division but the people expecting him to come in and continue to do what he did in ONE are ridiculous.
I agree with your last sentence, but I think the win against Lawler was too controversial and the loss against Masvidal was so 1 in 1,000 that I wouldn’t factor either or those results into my predictions for his future fights. The questions about his ceiling are still unanswered IMHO.