Ben Rothwell tries to get Dana White's attention: 'UFC kind of doesn't give a s--- about me'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Ben Rothwell's evening at UFC Fight Night 68 could scarcely have gone better.

The heavyweight contender turned heads with a Darth Vader-like walkout; dazzled in the Octagon with a quick submission of Matt Mitrione; then delivered a post-fight interview which had set the Twitterverse abuzz.

Just one problem: The UFC's brass took the night off, and Big Ben's having trouble getting in touch.

"I felt gypped," Rothwell said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "Dana White wasn't there, Joe Silva wasn't there, I felt gypped. Joe Rogan wasn't there. These fights were a big deal, and the three stars of the UFC weren't even there. I kind of felt gypped."

What turned out to be an epic evening of fights in the Big Easy was done without Rothwell's boss in the house.

"I just wanna talk to him," Rothwell said. "I talked to Joe Silva, and Joe Silva said it's even hard for him to talk to Dana White. Dana White is a bigger star than all of us, I don't think he has time for us. I don't think he even watches UFC. It's funny."

And what would Rothwell say if he got White's ear? Well, for one thing, Rothwell's made it clear he wants a fight with Andrei Arlosvki, which would be a rematch of a wild Affliction brawl won by Arlovski in 2008.

But in the near term, Rothwell wants to be a part of the UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas next month.

"I want to talk to Dana White because I want to be at the UFC Fan Expo. I'm looking at the list and seeing these people and I don't even know who they are. You've got the champions coming, you've got the veterans, Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell, awesome. Then there's a group of people who are signing and I don't even know who they are. Really? I want to be there for the fans. They're trying to get autographs.

Link to full story: Ben Rothwell tries to get Dana White's attention: 'UFC kind of doesn't give a s--- about me' - MMA Fighting

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015

"I want to talk to Dana White because I want to be at the UFC Fan Expo. I'm looking at the list and seeing these people and I don't even know who they are. You've got the champions coming, you've got the veterans, Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell, awesome. Then there's a group of people who are signing and I don't even know who they are. Really? I want to be there for the fans. They're trying to get autographs.

Link to full story: Ben Rothwell tries to get Dana White's attention: 'UFC kind of doesn't give a s--- about me' - MMA Fighting
I totally believe Ben when he says this.

Post fight speech against Schaub-
"I just want to thank some strangers. People that come to me and ask for autographs, pictures. People that come to me and tell me they believe in me, "me right, I know"...

These people are fans of the UFC. These people have made me who I am. I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for you and I will NEVER forget that. THANK YOU"!!!!

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
guys like bader rothwell and roy nelson will never get the respect they deserve.they could be on a ten fight knockout streak and never get a title shot. this is one thing that keeps mma from being seen as a real legit sport. the rankings mean dick all and guys with charisma can talk their way into big fights. it would make more money for the yankees to play in the world series every year or the rangers to play for the stanley cup but they have to earn it.the league cant just go ok well we would make more money so screw the rankings.this is how real sports work.its not a popularity contest.its process of elimination.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
He goes to walk out of the cage, flapping his cape, as you do after delivering your arch-villain speech/cackle...only to stop for some straightforward fight analysis? I laughed so hard. Funniest, most awkward thing ever. I love Ben for it. Not as much as I love Arlovski, though.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He goes to walk out of the cage, flapping his cape, as you do after delivering your arch-villain speech/cackle...only to stop for some straightforward fight analysis? I laughed so hard. Funniest, most awkward thing ever. I love Ben for it. Not as much as I love Arlovski, though.
Well I think that was more of an Anik fuckup than anything. Ben should of cut his promo and walked away.

If it was Rogan I think he would of left it there with the "Ben Rothwell ladies and gentlemen"

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Ben has legit Unfrozen Caveman charm. Hope he gets some mileage out of this win and some good paydays down the road. Hope he gets the AA rematch. He's got a good shot at winning IMO. AA is hell offensively but Ben only needs to touch that chin one time.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Well I think that was more of an Anik fuckup than anything. Ben should of cut his promo and walked away.

If it was Rogan I think he would of left it there with the "Ben Rothwell ladies and gentlemen"
I thought the same thing! Except I thought Anik was being deliberately dour about it. And Ben was too nice to just ignore another human speaking to him. So Ben's bit suffered for it but he comes off well as a human and Anik is a fun killer.

Still laughed though. My brother texted me that the whole thing was like Larry David had written it.

P

Punch

It was his first time trying something like this. Maybe we'll see a more polished version in the future. The cat/chess thing was pretty funny. :D

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
It was his first time trying something like this. Maybe we'll see a more polished version in the future. The cat/chess thing was pretty funny. :D
I hope he doesn't get too polished-- I find his earnestness endearing.