General Bern it all down 2020 edition

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Modern Monetary Theory.
The value of money originates with the government's ability to confiscate it.

Accurate?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Modern Monetary Theory.

Accurate?
Seems accurate to me, but I am probably not grasping all of the theory and just heard of it 30 seconds ago...plus I have a pea sized brain
Currencies value are definitely dependent on Govt...unless they are made of semi rare or rare metals

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Modern Monetary Theory.

Accurate?
I wouldn't frame it quite like that. Taxation isn't the same as confiscation.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I wouldn't frame it quite like that. Taxation isn't the same as confiscation.
my bad.

Modern Monetary Theory.
The value of money originates with the government's ability to take it under threat of violence.

Fixed?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
from dictionary.com
Confiscate:

verb
  1. take or seize (someone's property) with authority.
    "the guards confiscated his camera"
    synonyms: impound, seize, commandeer, requisition, appropriate, expropriate, take possession of, sequester, sequestrate, take away, take over, take, annex;
  • take (a possession, especially land) as a penalty and give it to the public treasury.
    "the government confiscated his property"
Confiscate seems to be a really good word to describe the act of taxation. I read a littler further, and economists seem to agree that taxation is a specific form of confiscation.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
from dictionary.com
Confiscate:

verb
  1. take or seize (someone's property) with authority.
    "the guards confiscated his camera"
    synonyms: impound, seize, commandeer, requisition, appropriate, expropriate, take possession of, sequester, sequestrate, take away, take over, take, annex;
  • take (a possession, especially land) as a penalty and give it to the public treasury.
    "the government confiscated his property"
Confiscate seems to be a really good word to describe the act of taxation. I read a littler further, and economists seem to agree that taxation is a specific form of confiscation.
Confiscate implys you don't recieve anything in return.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
my bad.

Modern Monetary Theory.
The value of money originates with the government's ability to take it under threat of violence.

Fixed?
lol sure. just so we agree that putting people in prison equals violence.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
lol sure. just so we agree that putting people in prison equals violence.
Absolutely, putting people in prison is violence.
What happens if you refuse to go to prison?
Violence. Copious fucking violence.

If armed men point a gun at me and say "Get in the cage or we'll beat you unconscious and maybe kill you" that fits my definition of violence.

And to clarify a point, exactly what does my tax money buy me that I couldn't buy myself if I needed it?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Bernie has so many people shook
i find it amusing, mostly.

Bernie/OAC/DNC are trying to dangle the 'free pony' while waving the "4 More Years of Drumpf" stick at all their jackasses.

Drumpf/RNC are using the fake Immigration Crisis and "Comrade Bernie" boogey-man to achieve the same thing with their base.

But in the end, it's simply the oligarchs juxtaposing two equally detrimental candidates and convincing everyone that Free Ponies and MAGA Walls are the ONLY things to factor when electing the next POTUS.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Absolutely, putting people in prison is violence.
What happens if you refuse to go to prison?
Violence. Copious fucking violence.

If armed men point a gun at me and say "Get in the cage or we'll beat you unconscious and maybe kill you" that fits my definition of violence.

And to clarify a point, exactly what does my tax money buy me that I couldn't buy myself if I needed it?
Your tax money doesn't buy anything, in return for paying taxes you get to participate in society. A good government will provide things like free healthcare, education, roads, security from privation, a legal system such that you can find recourse should you need it.

M

member 3289

i find it amusing, mostly.

Bernie/OAC/DNC are trying to dangle the 'free pony' while waving the "4 More Years of Drumpf" stick at all their jackasses.

Drumpf/RNC are using the fake Immigration Crisis and "Comrade Bernie" boogey-man to achieve the same thing with their base.

But in the end, it's simply the oligarchs juxtaposing two equally detrimental candidates and convincing everyone that Free Ponies and MAGA Walls are the ONLY things to factor when electing the next POTUS.
Americans are fucking stupid. They can't understand all the issues, so ponies vs walls makes more sense.

It won't be Bernie for the Dems though. It'll be Biden.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Your tax money doesn't buy anything, in return for paying taxes you get to participate in society. A good government will provide things like free healthcare, education, roads, security from privation, a legal system such that you can find recourse should you need it.
can I assume that their efficacy in providing an impartial legal system with means of redress, an education system that meets the minimum requirements to function in society, and their ability to sustain an infrastructure is indicative of their ability to provide and sustain adequate health care?