Best commentary team?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Alright, hardly a new point of discussion, but because there are a now a shitload of combos that have been used in the past few years I thought we could beat this horse a few more times.

My pick will probably be controversial but I think the Dan Hardy-John Gooden combo works the best. 3 people distracts me - I think one color and one PbP guy is fine. Gooden is just like a less inept and more self-aware Goldy. He generally knows what he can talk about during the fight and what Hardy needs to talk about, and doesn't let dead air pile up like Anik. And Hardy knows when to jump in without needing to make Gooden sound like an idiot, which is also less distracting. Hardy also doesn't suffer from crippling bias like Rogan and it's a fairly consistent call while also not being boring.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Mike schiavello's the best. Paul felder and dom are pretty good. Don't really like rogan or hardy, hate anik, hate dc. I remember Bas being the greatest, would be good to see him try again to see if he's still got it.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Bas Rutten, Mauro Ranallo, Stephen Quadros, Dan Hardy, Jimmy Smith, Gus Johnson, Sean Grande, Schiavello...all good to me.
Also like stand-ins like Gilbert Melendez.
I can't pick a combo...

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Cruz gotta be on there for me. Bisping is the best in the studio by far. I can't recall if he's sat at the commentary table tho

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i like joe/anik/and DC for a current combo. joe and dom clash . i like felder but cant stand hardy. he gargles the balls of any UK fighter and his accent makes him sound like a pomous jackass . i hate to say it but joe and goldy was as good as it gets. second place goes to these two

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Alright, hardly a new point of discussion, but because there are a now a shitload of combos that have been used in the past few years I thought we could beat this horse a few more times.

My pick will probably be controversial but I think the Dan Hardy-John Gooden combo works the best. 3 people distracts me - I think one color and one PbP guy is fine. Gooden is just like a less inept and more self-aware Goldy. He generally knows what he can talk about during the fight and what Hardy needs to talk about, and doesn't let dead air pile up like Anik. And Hardy knows when to jump in without needing to make Gooden sound like an idiot, which is also less distracting. Hardy also doesn't suffer from crippling bias like Rogan and it's a fairly consistent call while also not being boring.
I like they’re chemistry, but I think they have a problem when a UK fighter is competiting. They get very one sided in their commentating. I think the problem is Hardy has trained with a lot of them. It’s fine he wants them to win and he often has good anecdotes and insight in them but I feel like they go overboard and start commentating only through the perspective of what the UK fight is doing or needs to do to win.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think Cruz and Felder are both great. Cruz breaks down the technical aspects and game planning better than anyone, and Felder is funny and gives good insight into the fighters mentality and what goes into the training. I also really like how Felder comes off as a fan. He gets genuinely excited during the fights.

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
i like joe/anik/and DC for a current combo. joe and dom clash . i like felder but cant stand hardy. he gargles the balls of any UK fighter and his accent makes him sound like a pomous jackass . i hate to say it but joe and goldy was as good as it gets. second place goes to these two
I want to stab Joe.

The more you sound like you belong in pro wrestling the less I like you. So Mauro, Schiavello, Gus are all terrible for me. Toss in Bas, Randy, Big John, Quadros for good measure.

Edited to add: By Joe I mean that commie with Trigg.

Last edited:

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I want to stab Joe.

The more you sound like you belong in pro wrestling the less I like you. So Mauro, Schiavello, Gus are all terrible for me. Toss in Bas, Randy, Big John, Quadros for good measure.

Edited to add: By Joe I mean that commie with Trigg.
Before he started MMA full time. Showtime Joe used to do little betting spots on Canadian sports tv, he always came off as a slimy gimmick. I can't take him seriously. He seems like a goof.
I don't like Big John in the booth either. He has some good insight form time to time but he's so stiff and dull.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I like they’re chemistry, but I think they have a problem when a UK fighter is competiting. They get very one sided in their commentating. I think the problem is Hardy has trained with a lot of them. It’s fine he wants them to win and he often has good anecdotes and insight in them but I feel like they go overboard and start commentating only through the perspective of what the UK fight is doing or needs to do to win.
This is true. I think I just accept annoying nationalist commentary because Australians are possibly the worst in the world for that shit - it's just expected that the commentator will be a patriotic dipshit and avoid all pretenses of objectivity here.

That's also why Rogan's bias is so weird and annoying though. Sometimes it's because he has his own ties to a fighter, but other times it's just his weed-addled brain going nuts. He'll jockride a guy he's barely met like he's watching his son play little league.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Before he started MMA full time. Showtime Joe used to do little betting spots on Canadian sports tv, he always came off as a slimy gimmick. I can't take him seriously. He seems like a goof.
I don't like Big John in the booth either. He has some good insight form time to time but he's so stiff and dull.
joe is actually a fairly normal guy . he is a mortgage broker who coaches kids soccer.he had the indide mma show on sportsnet back when it was the only mma show in canada

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
It hasn't been tried before, but I'd like bas, Phil baroni, and my balls was hot to give it a try.

Jan 21, 2015
Bas and Quadros FTW

But to be honest I really liked those short years with Bas and Damon the Dog Perry. They would get loaded for the events and do stupid shit between fights.

That was the combo for the 2003 PRIDE GP and it was glorious

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
It's certainly sentimentality in my memory, but I remember that the few times Joe and Goldie had Randy Couture on there for the three-man-booth, that was great (although I was never a fan of him as a fighter or guy, I really liked his commentary).

The Pride commentary (Bas+Quadros, Bas+Mauro) was amazing, but that might also be sentimentality and/or the fact that the event and the action were so great. What I liked about it, especially Quadros+Bas was that they were not taking things too seriously. Their commentary style obviously wouldn't fit with the UFC but for the old Pride fights. But they had their power-moments ("Would you look at that, Basito!" or "Ouuhh, they're dooking it out right in the centre of the ring!..")

I enjoy it more, when one of the commentators is a (former)fighter.

Rambo John J @Rambo John J Yeah, I also heard Mir commentate and really liked it!!
Not sure, but didn't Bonnar also commentate somewhere? I think if I remember correctly it was him and he did a great job, as well (I never watched WEC, was it there?)

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Am I the only one who can’t stand Cruz? He’s so salty it’s cringeworthy. He butts heads with everyone and always has a chip on his shoulder.

I like the EU team along with Felder and DC. Anik has grown on me these last few years and I don’t miss Goldy one bit now that’s he’s moved over to Bellator. Him and BJM are nearly intolerable to me.

I liked Jimmy Smith, when he did Bellator (he was the best they ever had IMHO) and the few UFC gigs he got. It’s a shame they still kept someone like Brendan Fitzgerald but not Smith (though I fully understand they’re opposite sides of the coin here).

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In the current UFC; Rogan, DC, and Anik are the best team and it's not close. Anik, Cruz, and Rogan are the worst because frankly Dom acts like a dick and is clearly trying to steal the spotlight for himself.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I would have liked to see Mauro and Joe at least once. I know some don't like Mauro and I get it, but personally he's my favorite.