Listen Best music/band documentary

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Depeche Mode 101 probably, The Foo Fighters's HBO series was amazing though. U2's Rattle & Hum was brilliant too.

Depeche Mode is my alltime fav group, and that is an incredible documentary. I seen them live 5 times, maybe more. The Songs of Faith and Devotion tour was voted the most debaucherous tour ever by Rolling Stones magazine not sure how they measure it but hey they got Depeche Mode at 1.

The momentum from that tour really went into an even higher gear when Violator came out. Still to this day Violator is the greatest music album I think ever created. Every song is incredible and still to this day sounds very modern, actually more modern than most music today.

My man, props and dap

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
“Dig” is a music doc I really like. It’s about the meltdown of the band “The Brian Jonestown Massacre”. It’s from the perspective of the lead singer of the Dandy Warhols.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
“Some Kind of Monster” is a a really great documentary. It’s a real life Spinal Tap. It’s a really embarrassingly honest glimpse into the personality dynamics in Metallica. I’m surprised they let it see the light of day. No one comes off very well.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Depeche Mode is my alltime fav group, and that is an incredible documentary. I seen them live 5 times, maybe more. The Songs of Faith and Devotion tour was voted the most debaucherous tour ever by Rolling Stones magazine not sure how they measure it but hey they got Depeche Mode at 1.

The momentum from that tour really went into an even higher gear when Violator came out. Still to this day Violator is the greatest music album I think ever created. Every song is incredible and still to this day sounds very modern, actually more modern than most music today.

My man, props and dap
I'm old as dirt so I can remember buying People Are People on 7" when it first came out. I've exhausted a VHS and two DVDs of 101 I've watched it so much. 16 year old me when my step dad bought it for me wanted to be on that bus so much. I'm not THAT into their latest album but they were still awesome when I saw them a few months ago. Just not AS awesome as I remember them before.

Violator has a special place in my heart but maybe I'll go into that another day.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
silentsinger @silentsinger

I actually think the most recent album is really good. I think every album since "Black Celebration" has been a superb album, save for maybe "Exciter". That would be the one album I thought below the level of their talent and creativity. It was still a good album, just was a bit too slow overall, and did not have the same depth all the other albums since '86 and on had.

When you listen to the recent albums where are your expectations? Are you expecting something as great or close to as great as "Violator" or are you not holding it to that incredible standard?

For me the 4 albums from '86 to '93 are perfect and are up there for like alltime albums, like for any music genre. I kind of don't expect them to turn out those kind of albums. Those are magic in a bottle type events, no forcing, just the natural output. I am not holding them to a low standard, but just not expecting anything on the level of those albums.

But even the recent albums are really good, especially the last 3. They really have a lot of depth in my view. Just about every song is a really good song. Very few bands do I get that when I buy the album. I get 4 or 5 really good songs and the rest I almost never even play.

I also think the albums from '81 to '84 are great too, but from '86 and on they took it to a a supreme level.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
oh wow. I definitely think you'll dig it. There's also one on Townes Van Zandt that's really good.
I’m somewhat familiar with his story, but haven’t seen the flick. I’ll be watching soon though.

Regarding Townes: Are you talking about “Be Here To Love Me”? That’s a really good one. Townes is a legend/god/icon here in Austin.

View: https://youtu.be/ydd2zoP1Tz0

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
And while speaking about Austin legends, there is another documentary about Roky Erickson (13th Floor Elevators) called “you’re gonna miss me”. Another good one, with some weirdness mixed in. Roky was one of the pioneers of psych rock
Tagging you in for this one megatherium @Megaterio Llamas

View: https://youtu.be/kREyFhFdZaw
that looks really good, i'll check it out on my next plane ride. Heartworn Highways is another good music doc, but if you've seen Be Here to Love Me you've probably seen that.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I just watched an amazing one. It's called "Carmine St Guitars". It's about an old guy who has a guitar shop in Greenwich Village. He makes guitars using reclaimed wood from old New York buildings. It's a tonne of interesting guitar players stopping by, playing his guitars and talking about guitar. Nels Cline, the guy from "The Kills", Marc Ribot, Jim Jarmusch, etc. It is fucking great.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
One of the best music “docs” I’ve ever seen is “The Defiant Ones” it is an HBO mini-series about Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre. It begins with autobiography’s of both of them and follows them to their eventual partnership culminating in their billion dollar deal with Apple. Dr Dre is an incredibly smart and interesting dude and Iovine has had an incredible career. Really interesting stuff.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
One of the best music “docs” I’ve ever seen is “The Defiant Ones” it is an HBO mini-series about Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre. It begins with autobiography’s of both of them and follows them to their eventual partnership culminating in their billion dollar deal with Apple. Dr Dre is an incredibly smart and interesting dude and Iovine has had an incredible career. Really interesting stuff.
Huh, I hadn't heard about that one either. Just found the trailer, and it looks solid!

I know you've watched, but for others:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7b8xaWmG0

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
“Some Kind of Monster” is a a really great documentary. It’s a real life Spinal Tap. It’s a really embarrassingly honest glimpse into the personality dynamics in Metallica. I’m surprised they let it see the light of day. No one comes off very well.
You missed the point. It's not a documentary about people and their conflicting egos. It's a documentary about a band who used to be good, but now they suck so they fight a lot.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Wu-Tang Clan: of Mics and Men

NOFX: Backstage Passport

The Other F Word
I find it funny that wu tang named it a play on words after of mice of men in which one of the main characters is retarded literally.